A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Sticks-like Painted Coat Rack/Mirror - pic heavy!  (Read 12810 times)
Tags for this thread: mirror , sticks  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2008 08:16:09 PM »

If you've ever seen the furniture from Sticks, then you know where I got the idea to make this thing. I LOVE their furniture, but it is too spendy for me! http://www.sticks.com

I've wanted to make my own version for a long time, and I finally got it done. My dad built me the coat rack/mirror at my request several years ago (thanks Dad!) and it's been hiding in the back of my closet waiting for me to paint it.

It's going to go into our master bedroom, and I wanted it to be all romantic...hence the "Love Nest" theme. Wink I put all the Sticks-like little phrases around the outsides, but I made it fit the history of my husband and I.

"Play" - we met playing Ultimate Frisbee
"Follow Your Heart" - well, this is just the falling in love part
"Take a Chance" - gettin' engaged, and yes, my ring has a heart-shaped diamond, too!
"Welcome Surprises" - my daughter was our surprise baby who showed up before the wedding
"Create a Family" - now we have two!
"Count Your Lucky Stars" - why yes, I AM lucky!

I have a thing for crows, hence the two crows. The boy has blue eyes and a little beard like my husband, and the girl has brown eyes like me. Smiley

The house on the bottom is our first house, and it was exactly that shade of purple, too!

So...how I did it...

First I sketched out the pictures with pencil. Then I used a dremel to carve out the lines. I used the cutting guide to help control the thing and stay on the lines. The bit I used was the small one with the cutting ball on the end. In retrospect, I actually made the channels too wide, and it was hard to keep the paint out of them, so next time I would make them narrower, like half a mm or so. (edited to add: I used dremel bit #107, but now I know that the better option is #106) When you set the bit relative to the cutting guide, it is just BARELY sticking out. It helps to practice on some scrap wood. The dremel has a hard time going across the grain lines straight, so if you can use wood without obvious grains, you will have an easier time with the carving.

After you carve it all out, sand it down a little bit, then you paint it all with black primer. Then you put the color on top avoiding the lines that you cut out as best you can, but still being very "painterly". You don't want to be all neat about this - blend your colors as you paint, leave lots of brush marks. The messier you do it, the better it will look. This is the hardest part for me because I am so anal-retentive! lol!

The paint I used was Liquitex Soft Body Acrylics. I'm not sure if that was the best paint to pick, as a lot of it was more transparent than I would've liked, but it seemed to work okay. The colors I used were: Olive Green, Cadmium Red Medium Hue, Brilliant Blue, Soft White, Cerulean Blue Hue, Cadmium Orange Hue, Burnt Umber, Raw Siena, Turner's Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue, Quinacridone Crimson, Quinacridone Magenta, Hooker's Green Hue. Top coat everything with Polycrilic. I used semi-gloss, but I would've preferred satin.

My dad made the little sun on top from half of some sort of nerf-like ball. It's too cute!

This actually went a lot faster than I thought it would. It's an easy way to dress up an old piece of furniture to something super-cool. Now I'm going to do this same treatment to my craft room door - wish me luck!

Thanks for looking! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008 11:00:32 AM by sugarbeth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008 08:33:01 PM »

That is spectacular! The colors are so bold and beautiful, and I love how it tells YOUR story - much more personal than anything from a store!

definitely hitting This ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
pharmgirl
Handmaker of all things!

I like makin' stuff. :)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008 08:34:24 PM »

All I can say is AMAZING!!!  Wow, I love everything about it.  The colors, the shape, the history of it are all so awesome.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
JadedJenn

Valar morghulis.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008 09:05:17 PM »

That is really beautiful! I'm very impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
My Wists
Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008 09:23:18 PM »

LOVE IT! You rock, baby!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
Pink Hickey
Pheonix Princess

I sew in high heels...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008 10:19:49 PM »

That's really amazing. It's totally something that's gonna be in the family remembering the families story
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry Potter will be in my heart forever.
imperfectskye
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008 12:07:30 AM »

This is incredible!  I LOVE it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paulasews
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008 12:46:28 AM »

Wow, this is so beautiful! I love it and I have a writing bureau that I would love to do this to if I didn't know for absolute certain that I would give in half way through! You did a fantastic job this looks like something your family will enjoy for generations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just_gemz

It's raining sunshine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008 01:20:58 AM »

THIS IS AWESOME
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008 03:30:08 AM »

This is too awesome - the paintings are beautiful - the colors - the story - the history! This totally Rocks!!!!   Now I have to have some sticks-like furniture!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008 03:37:01 AM by kaleesi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peter Walsh Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Peter Walsh Talks About Enough Already
Elizabeth Scott Talks About Living Dead Girl
John Carter Cash Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Phillipa Gregory Talks About The Boleyn Inheritance Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...