A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: web site depression  (Read 3175 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lexscreations
« on: February 05, 2004 10:52:24 PM »

A few weeks ago I decided my web site needed a complete overhaul.  New photos, new layout, new everything.

So I tried working with some free templates.  Too complicated.  A friend promised to help me, but she's so busy that we weren't able to get together much.

Then came what I thought was the answer to my prayers: someone e-mailed me saying she wanted to do my web site for me, for FREE.  I jumped on it.

But she didn't grasp that all I wanted was an easy-to-work-with template, so I could get the page up and running as soon as possible.  I am a crafter.  I am not a web designer.  Anyone who expects professional web design from my site is probably not there for the right reason (to buy jewelry!  heehee).  I just want something simple to showcase my work, that I can easily edit myself.

*sigh*

I don't know what to do right now.  Apart from taking better photos (which I realized I could do by putting the jewelry right on my scanner!  doh), of which I need many more.  I tried using a Yahoo Site Builder template, since their site builder is really the only site-building tool that makes any sense to me.  I like it a lot...but the web designer lady says it's "unprofessional."  It's pretty, though, and that is what I'm going for--rather than professional!  As long as people can find what they're looking for...

Sorry to ramble on about this.  I guess I'm just perplexed.  A few years ago, I taught myself HTML.  I had a web page just as sophisticated as anyone else did (which wasn't very sophisticated!).  Now I can't even figure out how to use Dreamweaver.  I feel like I am going insane.

What do the rest of you do about these things?  Hire someone?  Do you think it matters if a web designer (assuming you are not one, which I know many of you are) thinks your site is unprofessional, if what you're trying to do is sell crafts?   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ctm
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004 10:59:46 PM »

i definitely know what you mean about having the same html knowledge as everyone else a few years back! things have GROWN since then!

having a simple dot com name is a good start.

other than that, i figured out exactly what i wanted, drew it up, and am having a good friend of mine do it for free so he can add it to his portfolio. (under construction: http://www.stitchpixie.com

*shh* i often copy other people's scripts if i like them, for instance this (which is mine): http://simplethoughts.org/paperprincess/slides/2003_03_30_ypbp_archive.html (ignore all the non-working pictures....and i did ask the original owner first if i could borrow and change his scripts)

basically what i would say is keep the pages white or light pastel colored... find a simple site you like, and go from there.

good luck!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004 11:11:32 PM by ctm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004 06:53:40 AM »

I agree - my best friend is a web designer, and her mantra is - Simple and sophisticated is best. As long as you show your product well, and the site is easy to navigate (and all the links work - very important!!!) I think that it's best! Besides, save the bandwith for the pictures - some of us are still on dialup, and some people load their site up with so much graphics and Flash animations, etc. that it takes pages forever to load ... as a dialup user, I'm more like to skip over a page that takes forever to load!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
humblehippie

Give me hope! Vote Kucinich for President!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004 08:23:46 AM »

I spent all of last semester in web design  and computer classes. And I guess I didnt really like it because I feel the same way as you all do. As long as its pretty, it'll work. I did learn a few very important things.

1) It's not a bad idea to learn how to make your pics internet ready. This should compress the file size so that they load more quickly. I leave web sites very often if the pictures take too long to load.

2) Follow a theme to unify the whole site. Dont do a different look on each page! Its confusing to the viewer.

3) I'm sure theres more, I'll add them later.

I designed my site with Netscape Composer which is free with Netscape Navigator. It's a free download on the web. Its really simple to use. Like cut and paste! My host is Yahoo and Im pretty satisfied. My site needs a major makeover too. I just cant find the time to do it! What I really need is a logo!! Anyone have any ideas for me??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace and Love*~*~*~Jessica
www.humblehippie.co m
danakk
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004 08:42:41 AM »

I'm no techie either. Don't know HTML, Dreamweaver, etc. (don't want to.  uck!) but wanted that same thing you do, a simple, easy to navigate, nice looking site that I can maintain myself so I went to Staples and bought Frontpage. You can use their templates, customize the templates, of do your own thing. If you know HTML, you can tweak things that way. I know a lot of pros aren't impressed by FP but who cares, it's working for me and a lot of other. My shopping cart software is something called Miva, that my web host provided and was a little more work but not much.

Dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misha
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004 02:44:03 PM »

I like Frontpage too. It's possible to design something quite nice without much tech knowledge.

And since my brain actually repels any tech info that tries to enter, this was helpful for me in putting a site together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004 03:04:09 PM »

i use dreamweaver... i love it!  Grin I am a professional - kinda sorta - as in it's what i do full time - however i'm not the best in the buisness --- i dont generally do flash because its a trend that is fadind - with flash video it will be used in other media outlets but not for crafty pages --- i think the most important thing is keep it simple and easy to use --- the more distracting the site is the less people wont see your beautiful products!
xoxo
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004 03:07:39 PM by divasteph » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lexscreations
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004 05:04:23 PM »

OK, just a little more background here: I have only been in the craft biz for a few months.  My goal is not to make my web site a hub for e-commerce.  It is for people who've already seen me and my jewelry at craft fairs or elsewhere to see some more of what I do and maybe purchase something they were waffling about when they saw it before.

Sure, it'd be nice to be able to make a "professional" site.  I wish I could.  But I can't.  And I don't want someone else to do it.  I can't afford to pay anyone (heck, I can't even afford my rent), and those who would do it for free want to take their own sweet time and not even make it easy for me to update.

It'd be nice if I could take a class in web design--I'd probably catch on fairly easily.  But I've got a chronic illness and, like I said, no money.

Given my lack of resources, I'd say an unprofessional site with good pictures and Paypal buttons should suit me just fine.

I'm sorry to vent at you all, and I appreciate the support you've been giving me.  Smiley  I am just so tired of being misunderstood by all the web-designer types.  I don't have the time/energy/necessity for a truly wonderful web site right now, and it's fine if they don't like that--or if anyone doesn't like that--but I am tired of being criticized about it.  My "unprofessional" site has taken up far too much of my time already!!   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misha
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004 08:59:05 PM »

Lex,

I think you site looks pretty good.  It's easy to navigate and I can see what you have for sale.

Personally, I hate flash on a website. It always takes too long, and I have a cable modem!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
udandi

www.udandi.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004 09:22:10 PM »

Personally, I hate flash on a website. It always takes too long, and I have a cable modem!

I agree.  at work we have limited software on our computers so any page with flash that doesn't offer an HTML option is skipped.  

Lex,
I think you're on your way with an easy to navigate web site and though it's touch, just try to let web designer criticism roll of your back Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
short attention span projects at http://www.udandi.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Vibrato on Violin
Vibrato Exercise on the Violin - Sound Waves
How to Play My Tractors Sexy on Violin Fiddle
How to Play The Adams Family Song on Violin
How to Play Somewhere Over the Rainbow on Violin
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...