A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,786
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mirror Collages (more pics from more projects)  (Read 1544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: April 18, 2008 03:49:58 PM »

I contemplated where to put this topic since I tend to use "found" objects in my work. I wouldn't call myself a pack rat, but I discovered that I have a tendency to keep little things, pins, board game pieces, all kinds of stuff that have some personal history. Instead of clogging up my drawers, I decided to add them to things and give them new life. My decoupage skills are still being refined. I've learned a lot since making these pieces. I'm tentatively thinking of calling the bulk of my work: "From Here to Ephemera." I would be curious to hear feedback since I tend to work in my own little world. I need to take and post pictures of my main project--an old seamstress dummy covered with, well, junk--including pins from high school, girl scouts, my very first music concert (Elvis Costello's Imperial Bedroom tour in case you were curious). It's coming out pretty cool. I'll post that later. Enjoy.

This one is inspired by Osa and Martin Johnson. I think everyone in my family has their own copy of "I Married Adventure."

A closer look. Sorry the photography isn't better.

This is based on an extremely old and quite sexist board game that suggests careers for girls--model, actress, teacher, airline hostess. I made it for my niece when she graduated from college and was heading out into the work force just to remind her it could be a lot worse!  Cheesy

This is a closer look. It has charms from an old bracelet, some old Barbie accessories.

This is my hubbie's favorite. Andy Warhol was from my hometown of Pittsburgh, PA and I've always enjoyed his sensibilities and live by his motto "Art is whatever you can get away with." This is my tribute to him.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008 01:53:41 PM by Bunnikins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hiphopmapotamus v.s rymnoserous

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008 04:13:25 PM »

i kove the last 1

(this is info forum)
rude crude & tattooed

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008 07:28:31 PM »

i love them all! and i totally read about the sexist board game in an issue of BUST magazine! hilarious.

the andy warhol & marilyn monroe one is pretty hot too.. love love love these!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008 02:26:27 PM »

I like them all and I especially love the pink one!
Very cool, so creative. Excellent.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008 07:56:35 AM »

Thanks. I actually have to credit my mom for suggesting the Marilyn/Jackie images. I was going to do just Marilyn, but I like it better this way. I'm off to photograph some other collages of mine to add here.
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008 01:08:01 PM »

Bunnikins -that Barbie one is a hoot!  "Your make up is too sloppy"  oh what a world, what a world...

I think that Jackie is a perfect partner for Marilyn - I think they should be seen together more often. Smiley

Please tell me where the seamstress dummy is posted, I really really want to see that one - I currently have a work in progress - ok, progress is actually "stalled" for the moment -  which is an old plastic kids jumpy horse to get covered in found/collected objects mosaic.  I am a packrat, so I figured, why not just take all the junk and glue it to something... Smiley

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008 07:44:32 AM »

Lorraine, per your request, I'm posting pictures of the seamstress dummy and some of my other projects.
The dummy isn't finished. I would really like to have every empty space covered, but I really try to pick the objects carefully. The base consists of buttons from my past, concerts, school, old political ones. I've begun adding other items and may eventually include little words from the poem magnets, but I'm not totally sure about that.

Don't know if this shot is much better. It looks a lot emptier in the pictures, but that will probably help as I fill it in.

This is a fabric collage I've been working on. The flash shows the layers too disntincly. It kind of looks cooler in real life. It includes pieces of vintage hankies, vintage fabric from my mom, a friend's mother's earings, some of my son's clothes as well as from daughter and a hanger from my old Dawn doll.

I apologize for the glare on this one. I actually made this a long time ago as a way to store my earings. I have a layer of cork behind what was a image from an Andy Warhol calendar photo.

This is a vintage train case that I found at a yard sale that I've augmented. It has images of some of my favorite albums and bands. I plan to write a few lines of poetry on the inside and add a mirror.

Finally, I've been making theme candles for a local store, I use different themes (I love the ridiculousness of the Exciting career game as you can see) as well as a pulp fiction theme. Sorry if the images are a little blurry.

thanks for looking!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008 08:28:17 AM »

the warhol/corkboard/earring storage thing is a really cute idea. great stuff!
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008 10:05:13 AM »

Thanks for posting your stuff!  It's all very groovy.  I love how Marilyn is actually wearing the earrings, very clever idea.  I am an incoribible keeper of every little scrap of "stuff" like this and need to figure out how to either make it into something or let go of it, so I really like to see what kind of ideas other people have come up with.   Smiley

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew a Hem on Your Machine
How to Sew a Buttonhole on Clothes
How to Make a Blanket Stitch
How to Create Your Own Party Bag
How to Sew Your Own Personalized Apron
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...