A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
750 Guests and 46 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Weird Sisters (Harry Potter) Record Purse -- Lots of Images!  (Read 10500 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tasket.basket
Darn . . . It was my turn to bring the Bundt cake.

The internet is made of people.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2008 02:10:46 PM »

My swap partner for the recent HP swap had a record purse on her wists, so I had to make one for her! The Weird Sisters are the wizard rock band from the Harry Potter series, and I decided they had to have released some albums (though there aren't any in the books -- we both enjoy a loose interpretation of canon.)

I used this tutorial for instructions: Mod Record Purse, and this project for additional inspiration: Vinyl Record Purse (from my partner's wists).

The Weird Sisters record purse:

Both sides:

Each side of the purse is Side One of a different album. I printed out the labels on colored heavy weight printer paper, and used double-sided paper adhesive to attach them over the existing labels on the records. ("Do the Hippogriff" is a song from the HP books, but the rest are not.  Loose canon, right?  And fair warning: this post only gets geekier from here on in.)

Close up of the labels (Conjuring the Rock Produtions, charmed to play in the Divinaphone):

WS's debut album (1978):

Second album (1980):

My two favorite song titles are "From the Owlery" and "Arithmancy of the Soul". Just don't ask me what they mean, because I don't know. But that is some Wizarding rockWink

I used two layers of records for the handles, and attached the handles and sides with hemp twine (in purple).

Close up of attachment:

The concept of the purse is that it is "partially transfigured" -- that is, transfigured from records into a purse, but still retaining characteristics of the original item. (See what I mean about even geekier?) So, the circles in the lining fabric are reminiscent of records, and the pockets are lined with sheet music fabric, of course.

Lining, and snap-close pocket (open):

There are two flat pockets on one side and a snap-close pocket on the other side (open in the second photo). The ends of the purse are pinched and stitched so they fold inward when the purse is shut.  The outer purse is pink vinyl, and the linings are cotton.

Close up of fabrics:

This was my favorite item to make for this swap, and I am so thankful to my partner for allowing me to subject her to my super HP geekiness!  Grin

Craft Info:

Swap: "Because We Miss Harry Potter" Swap
Swap Partner: ShardaeDobby
Date made: March 2008
Pattern: Mod Record Purse, Vinyl Record Purse
Fabrics: Pink vinyl, woven cotton novelty fabrics (pink with colored circles, pink sheet music)
Other materials: Records, heavy weight paper for labels (pink and green), double-sided adhesive, hemp twine (purple), magnetic snap

If you'd like to read my adventure in acquiring appropriate records for this project, it's at this post on my blog: Hey Mister DJWink
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008 02:20:26 PM by tasket.basket - Reason: i can has grammar? » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's really only one question that can be answered . . . and we already know the answer. . . .  -- Ursula K. LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness

my blog
my wists
Lufah
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008 02:28:21 PM »

I like Harry Potter and all, but not to the point of obsessive craziness.  That being said, this purse definitely rocks!  You did an amazing job with it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.yarnzombie.net - http://twitter.com/Yarnzombie
Flickr fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarnzombie/
Photographyblog - http://www.craftbangboom.com/
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5363840
Will swap yarn/fiber/fabric for Polaroid/slide/120/weird film!  PM me
tasket.basket
Darn . . . It was my turn to bring the Bundt cake.

The internet is made of people.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008 02:36:50 PM »

I like Harry Potter and all, but not to the point of obsessive craziness.  That being said, this purse definitely rocks!  You did an amazing job with it. 

Ha ha!  Grin  I surprised myself with my level of "obsessive craziness" on this project, actually, lol.  This is -- bar none -- the geekiest thing I have ever created!

And thanks!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's really only one question that can be answered . . . and we already know the answer. . . .  -- Ursula K. LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness

my blog
my wists
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008 02:52:49 PM »

Ok call me weird but I love the way you catalogged the information at the bottom with the links & all! I'm going to do this from now on!! Putting it at the top of the post is the only thing I can think to do differently. Nice purse too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mcr_addict

I am a member of the MCRmy!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008 03:33:42 PM »

OMG! I love it!

Mucho Kudos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Modifications? That's my middle name!
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008 03:37:29 PM »

I have never read the books nor seen an HP movie, but that purse totally rocks! I absolutely love how you've described the process (and those fabrics are yummy!).

Amazing. Fabulous. Fan-freaking-tastic. I want.

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008 04:01:54 PM »

i thinks this is the best record bag i've seen, very pretty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YukinaKipling
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008 04:14:01 PM »

wow, love it~!! the lining fits it perfectly, and it's so fun! amazing job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rainbow_Storms
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008 04:31:26 PM »

I have to say that I'm almost more impressed with your geekiness than the amazing job you did on that purse. I thought I was going to roll over laughing over those song titles. That is some awesome HP interpretation. And also one of the most damn cool purses I have ever seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps! Just PM me!

I've recently gotten into blythes; check out my blog about mine here:
http://saffron42.livejournal.com
http://deliagrey.etsy.com
ShardaeDobby
HP extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008 04:56:57 PM »

Had to respond once I saw the thread:)

The purse is amazing! One of my friends has already tried to steal it and I'm sure my mom would have walked away with it if I'd let her.

we both enjoy a loose interpretation of canon.

Yep,yep! For me it doesn't get any looser than a Marauder-era RPG. Every time I use it I keep thinking about how it would totally be something Mira would carry around Tongue

I absolutely loved being your partner for the swap and that I could recon guilt-free Cheesy My roommate is still wondering when I'm going to make duplicates of the bag I sent you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ride across the Black Lake to the Fall Harry Potter Craftalong
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Gift Sets for the Holidays
STAR Shining Gifts for Anyone On Your List
Sneak Peek: Birchbox December 2012
How to Do Bold Lip Makeup Looks
How to Look Great at an Office Party
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...