A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper bowls--now with tutorial. Pic heavy.  (Read 12846 times)
Tags for this thread: bowl , tutorial , ticket  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2008 11:53:43 AM »

My first paper bowl made from a roll of tickets that I had left over from some event.

the inside with hole in the bottom

This was my inspiration.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=141004.msg1386577#msg1386577

Then I made this bowl from the glossy junk mail that I get. This one was actually for a recent swap.

This is how I plugged the hole.  It's a leftover piece of dowel.

Then I made this one from grocery store ads that come in the newspaper.

There have been a few requests, so I am working on a tutorial for this project.  I hope to have it up within the week.  Things have been rather hectic in the toyshop.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008 05:32:57 PM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008 12:17:53 PM »

Your bowls are gorgeous! Love them and am definitely looking forward to a tute. (Or getting you for a swap partner someday!!  Wink)

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
Ginger Child
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008 12:22:31 PM »

This is awesome, I've always wanted to do this with the ticket stock we have at the movie theater where I work! They look great Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008 09:19:45 PM »

Thanks for the comments.

QB,  your baby is adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Verde
No Pleasure, No Gain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008 11:02:11 AM »

Wow - your bowls are lovely, pinokeeo. I'm looking forward to reading your tute - I'd love to do something useful with all the glossies that come through my door.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maraluce.Murder
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008 11:12:49 AM »

Those look great ^^
I'm also looking forward to a tute Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is better to destroy than to create what is meaningless.

Myspace|Wists
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008 11:52:04 AM »

Sorry I'm so slow, folks.  I am working on the tute.  Got the first pictures taken, but had to deal with life for a couple of days.  Be patient with me.  I haven't forgotten.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008 05:32:09 PM »

Ok, the long-awaited tutorial is here.  I am showing my methods for making the paper bowl.  There are other methods.  This is the one that works for me.  It takes awhile to do a bowl this way, but it looks better when you are finished.

First, gather the things you will need for constructing the bowl.  For this particular bowl, I am using grocery store ads (think Safeway, Albertsons, Krogers, etc).  I have also used glossy junk mail and raffle tickets.  You will need your paper, some means of cutting the paper, a short piece of doweling, a rubber band and tape.  There are other things you will need later, but we will get to that.

I use a paper cutter, but you can use scissors.

I cut the paper into one inch strips.  Try to cut the paper, so that you get the longest piece possible. 

I put a small piece of tape on the end of one piece of paper.  Next,I tape it to the short piece of doweling and wind it around to create a spiral. Once the paper is wrapped, I use the ruber band to hold it together.  Next, I tape a few pieces of paper together and tape them to the end of the first paper I put on.  I keep wrapping them around until, I have the bowl to the approximate size I want it to be.  Keep the rubber band on between add-ons, so that it doesn't unwind.

After I have put on a few pieces of paper, I gently pull on one end of the paper to tighten the spiral.  If you pull too tight, the paper will break.  If this happens, just tape it back together and go on.  After awhile you will get the feel for how tight it should be.

When I am finished constructing my bowl, it will look like a very thick pancake.  Tape the edge down, so that it won't come apart.

I use my thumbs to shape the bowl.  By pushing down on the inside, and gently pulling up on the outside, I get the shape I want.  I leave the edge at the top a little thicker, so that it isn't sharp.

When I get to the size that I want the bowl to be, I decide on a border for my bowl.  I use whatever pleases me at the time.  I have used wallpaper, paper rulers, glossy posters, magazine covers, and the Sunday funnies.  I put the border on until I have my bowl the exact size I want it to be.  I tape it off, using a longer piece of tape.  This is what holds it all together until it is glued and finished.

Next, you will need some glue, water, sandpaper, and acrylic sealer.  I mix the glue and water, about half and half.  I then paint this mixture on the bowl, inside and outside, allowing the glue to dry inside before doing the outside.  It takes about an hour to dry. 

After the glue has dried all the way around, I sand the bowl to make it a little smoother.  It doesn't need to be completely smooth, just take out all the rough edges.  I use a power sander, but you can do the same thing with a sanding sponge or some regular sandpaper.  I use 120 grit.

After sanding, I paint on the glue again and let it dry.

The next step, you will need ventilation.  Do this with the window open, or go outside.  Any kind of sealer or varnish is going to give off some fumes, and you don't want to be sick.

I then paint on two coats of acrylic sealer, again inside and out. I sand between coats.  When the whole thing has dried, I put on one extra coat of sealer on the top edge.

And there you are, one finished paper bowl.  Let me know if you have any more questions, or if anything is not clear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mam
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008 06:07:22 PM »

thank you so much for the tute.    guess i will have to add all those things but the varnish and take this camping with me this weekend.   i have tons of  yarn and material.  my sewing machine and now this stuff.  lol   good thing i camp in my friends camper.    don't think a tent would be big enough to hold everything i plan on taking.          thanks again.    by the way  you did a great job of explaining everything.         mam
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008 06:22:44 PM »

Glad it helps.  Enjoy and happy crafting!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheeseburger and Fries Casserole Recipe
Italian Sausage Hoagies Recipe
Sweet and Spicy Cocktail Wieners Recipe
Company Coleslaw Recipe
Kentucky Fried Catfish Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...