A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,322
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini Green Tea Vegan Cupcakes!  (Read 1804 times)
Tags for this thread: vegetarian_holiday_food  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mountaingrrl
« on: April 18, 2008 06:02:21 AM »

I never thought I'd post to this board...Smiley

My friend Dolly is a vegan. She is currently undergoing a lot of medical stuff because she has nasty ol' cancer. So I decided to make her some cupcakes...here's my first ever vegan cupcakes:

In my small town I could NOT find vegan margarine, so the ones dipped in sugar are totally vegan, while the frosted ones contain Smart Balance, which has a tiny bit of whey in them. I tried! I figure her husband can eat them.

I now need to send them 1000 miles away today. Good luck, little cupcakes!

The recipe is the Green Tea Cupcake from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I added a bit more flour because I'm at 6100 feet above sea level. They are really good and I can't wait to make more. Plus, my toddler is now totally hooked on vanilla rice milk as a treat.

Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cadet120433
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008 07:38:47 AM »

thats really sweet! but i must ask how do you send them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

October Crafty Inspirations! I made it!http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=361238.0
KrisCreates

Keep on rockin' in the craft world!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008 09:18:22 AM »

Hey! those look good.

You can make frosting without margarine, I have a friend with a dairy allergy and I made her Vegan chocolate cupcakes last year for her birthday.  I know that I didn't have to buy vegan margarine to make the frosting, all I really remember about making it was that I had to be super attentive cause I was cooking it up and all of a sudden it went from being a runny liquid to a thick frosting in a matter of seconds!  I'll see if I can find the recipe.  I'm not vegan, but those were good cupcakes... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mountaingrrl
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008 11:39:38 AM »

Thanks! I froze them and packed them in smaller containers to ship overnight. I saw somewhere else where someone had done that with success.

Ooh! I'm intrigued by the recipe. I had a bad experience with veggie oil in frosting, so I was nervous to deviate. I'd be interested to see what goes in them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mqorty
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008 01:02:04 AM »

Wow they sound reeeally good.
I have a wee obsession with green tea at the moment!
Do you think you could share the recipe, please?  Wink
Also, why do you add more flour because of the altitude? (It's probably a stupid question but I'm curious!)

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mountaingrrl
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008 06:01:55 AM »

I always have a green tea obsession!

The recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I got the book off Amazon for $10 and it's is FULL of great recipes!

This is from the Colorado State University Extension webpage:
"
At altitudes above 3,000 feet...

...preparation of food may require changes in time, temperature or recipe. The reason, lower atmosphere pressure due to thinner blanket of air above. At sea level, the presses on a square inch of surface with 14.7 pounds, at 5,000 feet with 12.3 pounds, and at 10,000 feet with only 10.2 pounds - a decrease of about 1/2 pound per 1,000 feet. This decreased pressure affects food preparation in two ways:

1. Water and other liquids evaporate faster and boil at lower temperatures.
          2. Leavening gases in breads and cakes expand more. "

Basically, if I don't add some extra flour, everything puffs up and then falls making everything chewy and weird. They also tend to have to bake a little longer. Totally not a stupid question, because there are people who LIVE here who still haven't figured out why their cakes don't turn out  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mqorty
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008 03:16:31 PM »

Ooh I just found it!
Cupcake city here I come  Tongue

And oh, thanks for that! I don't think we have anyone here living that high Huh But I know I'm pretty close to sea level hahah  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mountaingrrl
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008 06:40:18 AM »

Our college sits at 7200 feet above sea level and for awhile the motto for marketing was "Come get high at the University of Wyoming."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Wear the 70s Skinny Scarf
#AdamSays: Jeggings Are Not Pants and Other Style Rules from Adam Glassman
Get the Look: Switch It Up With Accessories
Ashley Graham On Her New Lingerie Line
How to Style a Graphic Tee
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...