A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to sewing machines...HELP!!  (Read 546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MaryQcumberfairy
« on: April 17, 2008 05:57:19 PM »

Okay, so here's my story:
I have always wanted to be able to sew, but my mom has always said she has no patients or time to teach me.  I never really got past sewing semi-crooked lines for doll blankets.  So, while she is on vacation, I thought I'd break out the sewing machine we bought at a white elephant sale when I was 9 and had fixed.  The problem is, I don't really know the first thing about even threading the machine.  I think I got the top bit, but I have no clue what to do with the bottom. My machine is a Necchi, I think from the 40's or 50's.  If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.  Here is what it looks like, I would put pictures of the bottom bit, but Mom has my camera with her.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pandamae
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008 06:00:43 PM »

http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diagrams/Threading_Pages/Necchi_Sewing_Machine_Threading/Necchi_4795_threading_Diagram.html
or just look online on how to thread one...
is there a model number on it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My mom told me i could run with scissors if i wanted to.
pandamae
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008 06:01:15 PM »

http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diagrams/Threading_Pages/Necchi_Sewing_Machine_Threading/Necchi_4795_threading_Diagram.htm
sorry...last link was busted
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MaryQcumberfairy
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008 06:05:18 PM »

Wow!  That is so great that they have diagrams online for this.
Thank you so much for answering me so fast! You Rock! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pandamae
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008 06:20:56 PM »

Smiley no problem.
very pretty sewing machine btw. mine is a brother i got from walmart for 60 bucks...nothing spectactular but it gets the job done i guess.
good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008 07:07:11 AM »

OH MY GOD!!!! you bought that at a white elephant sale?!?! you have such an incredible collectors item!!!! That is a great machine, I'm so happy for you Cheesy

::calms down::

OK, yes, I understand completely mom not having patience to teach, just because someone can do something doesn't mean they can teach it- much less so when the student is their own child. Look around in your area for classes or someone who will teach you, you don't always have to pay cash for lessons either, I've taught in exchange for babysitting before, look for something that works for your budget & time.

Go to the library and check out some books on sewing (seaerch sewing books here-lots of threads with great reccomendations), read them all. Get some scrap fabric & play around with that machine, get familiar with it. If it's been sitting for a few years it's worth your while to take it in for a cleaning & oiling, get them to show you the basics of the machine itself while you're at it, (parts, where to oil, what each button does, etc).Yes this might be $50-60 buck- worth every penny- that machine is easily worth a couple hundred dollars Smiley If someone gave you a Mercedez with an oil leak you'd get the leak fixed & drive it, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pandamae
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008 10:51:32 AM »

haha...that is an awesome comment penlowe.
id take a vw over a mercedes though Smiley
i want to get a vintage machine too but all the ones i seem to find are totally beyond repair...it really sucks. i hate kentucky lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MaryQcumberfairy
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008 07:31:37 AM »

Great ideas Penlowe, I think I will check out some books. And if I can scrounge up some money I will try some lessons. I've played around a little, but I definitely don't know what everything does. I didn't know this machine was so valuable, I only paid $5 for it  Cheesy
Thanks for the tips
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Norcross on Sustaining Behavior Change
The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury
Sarah Beth Durst on Her Book Vessel
J.K. Rowling Launches Adult Debut Novel at London Event
The Cannibal Coincidence!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...