A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,906
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seeking ideas for crafty representation of Beck's Cognitive model  (Read 617 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quilted
« on: April 17, 2008 07:33:44 AM »

As you OWS-ers know, I'm looking for some inspiration!

I want to make wall art or a small sculpture (made out of any material, but small enough that it could go on my desk at work) based on Aaron Becks Cognitive Model of Depression. Essentially, the Cognitive Model states that we experience an event, we interpret the event, and then we emotionally react to the event. When we are depressed, we interpret the event negatively and thus feel bad and react negatively.

For example, imagine you see TwiztidBlood across the road, and you wave hello. TwiztidBlood doesnt wave back. Normally, you may interpret this event as Hmm TwiztidBlood didnt see me. Man, she needs to pay attention. However, if you are depressed, you sort of have poop-colored glasses on, and you may interpret the event as TwiztidBlood ignored me! She must not like me. She probably hated the swap package I sent her. Because of this interpretation, your feelings would be hurt and you would be even more sad.

I use cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which relies on the cognitive model to help treat depression and anxiety. I usually draw the model like this:

Event ---------->     Interpretation---------->     Emotional Reaction

However, it would be SOOOOOO cool to say, For example, look at the picture on the wall of. It would give my clients a visual representation of the model to help them remember it.

Ideas?

Thanks and love forever!!!!  Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try my free mobile health apps for the military community (and civilians too!): https://t2health.org/products/mobile-apps
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008 01:14:24 PM »

Okay, my initial interpretation of this was a little abstract, and might not necessarily work for a model, but I could so see the "ball in motion" type image moving towards the wavy screen (like when the Predator goes invisible...or heat waves, if your DH isn't as obsessed with strangeness as mine is) and then coming out on the other side as either a brilliant, colorful explosion, or else a crappy little dull stream.  A physical model, for me, would be said ball (or object, or "stimulus") between two mirrors (actually four, I'd glue two back to back for each side), and on one side have the beautiful, brilliant explosion, and on the other, the crappy little dull poot.  I have occasionally suffered from symptoms of depression, and manic depression (though it's not either...it's, well, complicated, but still...) and in retrospect, after thinking about it, that model sums up my mood swings.  Making something physical is a great idea, though, for your patients' understanding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008 08:50:44 PM »

So are you looking for artwork/sculpture to explain the entire model ( event/interpretation/reaction) or just various events that the patient could then respond to in various ways to talk about different reactions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get A New Hairstyle Without The Commitment: Hair Chalk
How to Get a Kim Kardashian Hairstyle
3 Ways to Prevent Dry Hair This Winter
How to Get a Flirty, Tousled, Party Ponytail
How To Rock A Simple Braid For Your Holiday Party
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...