A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make a BJD (Ball Jointed Doll)  (Read 25574 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littler4bbit
« on: April 16, 2008 10:07:59 PM »

Okay - so here's the deal: I am going to make a ball jointed doll.

For those of you who don't know what a bjd is... Ball jointed dolls are anatomically proportionate dolls that are highly poseable. They come in many sizes, but the size i'm going for is anywhere from 60 - 66 cm... that's 2 feet and then some. people like to dress them up or use them as drawing models. Famous bjds are VOLKS Super dollfie, DOT, or Noah - BEWARE! if you google them, you'll fall in love like i did.

there. i said it. I gonna make a BJD. but I don't want to do it alone! I'm wondering if anyone else is interested. I'm not hardcore enough to cast molds and pour resin (I hear it smells stinky anyway), but in order to make a ball jointed doll it takes a fair amount of sculpting - at least if you want it to be able to stand on its own. I'm planning to start in two-ish weeks (after i finish moving in - GAH!). I'm planning on using the Sculpy way.

I have some tutorials:
http://www2d.biglobe.ne.jp/~dhnoah/make_00.htm
http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://www.aimi-doll.com/howto/01.html&prev=/language_tools
The first link is a good resource. The second link is translated from Japanese (thank you google) and is super comprehensive. it even has a downloadable diagram to work from.

From what i can tell it'll take me about 40ish dollars worth of supplies initially. (i already have some things like paint and elastic). i'm sure there are thing's i'll have to buy that i've forgotten to taken into account so that's a low estimate.

I would love to have someone fumble through this process with me - it's my first time trying this. But i'll be starting in sometime in the next 2 weeks with or without you.

I know there is a post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=96378.0 with lots of resources and such, but i'm looking for someone to hold my hand through teh process really. Cheesy i figured if i can't find someone on craftster, i'm hosed.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008 10:19:27 PM by littler4bbit » THIS ROCKS   Logged
violette28
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008 06:37:47 PM »

The first thing I thought was you're crazy for wanting to make one.
The sencond thing I though was how crazy I am for wanting to do it too!

Tonight instead of homework, I'll be reading the websites you posted. When/If you do this, pm me and I'll see how busy I am.   Smiley Even if I can't join you, I would love to hear about the process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JillBoBill
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008 09:29:39 AM »

Wow. I just flipped through the Japanese page and that's pretty intense. Granted, the end result is beautiful, but ... That's intense. I would LOVE to see some homemade BJDs, though. If you ladies do it, make sure and post up here.

I was wondering what kind of clay she was using, too. I know it showed the labels, but it was hard to make out what kind it was.  I have a 25pound block of air-dry clay taking up some room in my closet... Come to think of it, I have another of kiln-dry clay, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littler4bbit
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008 04:30:03 PM »

i believe that she was using something called stoneclay, but i'm planning to use a polymer clay called sculpy III. air dry clays aren't the best for the depth of sculpting needed for this project, but i've seen people do it. i just always have problems keeping it wet enough, but if you have 25 pounds of air dry... man - you can sure try.

wait.. by air-dry clay you're talking about the white semi-squishy stuff, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JillBoBill
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008 06:51:56 PM »

It's sort of a shade of grey. You CAN kiln-dry it, but you don't HAVE to. It's made my AMACO (American Art Clay Company)... I believe, though I'm not positive that this is it: http://www.amaco.com/prod-air-dry-modeling-clays-339.html

The other stuff is a kiln-dry White Earthenware made by Highwater Clay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littler4bbit
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008 09:33:14 PM »

wow i've never heard of this stuff. it's super cheap for how much you get! i'd say go for it! at first i thought you were talking about that crayola squishy and easily breakable/maim-able stuff. as long as it dries hard and strong, it seems like a good choice.

the kiln dry stuff is fine for sure as long as you keep it thin enough so that it's not god-awful heavy.

i'm super excited! 2 victims *cough* people who maybe will try to ride this crazy idea out with me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MoreLove
MOM/photographer/wife/sister/daughter/CRAFTER!

Crafting to keep Sane.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008 08:38:45 PM »

check out www.denofangels.com/forums

they have a great forum in there of hand made BJD including robots, and centuars!  they are always willing to help someone out too!  (just advoid the drama there, and you'll be fine)

i personally have 5 different BJD's and one i made myself.  A wee tiny sheep.  i should post it up on there for you guys.  it was hard.  and omg,  those who do it.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's the Quiet ones you have to watch out for.  They truly know what is going on.

see my  etsy!  http://www.hookedandtangled.etsy.com
violette28
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008 09:12:23 PM »

Morelove, please post it! I would love to see! About how long did it take you to make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008 09:16:53 PM »

I believe I've gotten hooked on these too! I'm broke beyond belief so making one is the only way I'd be able to get one (at least until college is over)!

I'm game if you are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
CrafterSandK

Poppets are an addiction. :D

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008 11:09:01 PM »

I'm game to do this too. Cheesy Not really sure when, cause I'm so busy... But all of us working on it will motivate me. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Embassy Book Trailer
Brian DeLeeuw Talks About In This Way I Was Saved
Meet Author Brad Thor
Julie Morgenstern Talks About SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life
Full Dark, No Stars Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...