A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Braided rag rugs  (Read 2578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aspenwall
« on: January 22, 2004 11:20:13 AM »

I'd like to make a braided rug, and it sounds self explanatory, I was just wondering if its really that simple?  Has anyone made one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorky
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004 08:41:39 PM »

Has anyone made one?  I have a ton of crappy fabric scraps and wondered what to do.  Then i thought of this but cant seem to fin a website teaching me something that seems oh so simple but probably isn;t.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lorky
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004 04:37:20 AM »

Awesome!  Thanks!  I didn;t use the search button until after I posted this so I guess i know for next time to look before asking.  I'm lazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ravenheart

My hobby is trouble

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004 05:54:13 PM »

Many months ago MS Living had instrucions for making rugs out of old towels, etc.  i kept it for a awhile, then realized i don't know how to braid. (embarassing, but true.) Anyway, I threw out the article. Now, i need a new bathroom rug, and my old bathrobe is looking like a pretty good candidate for the job. did anyone else save the article, or can anyone point me to some simliar instructions? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kissjacksparrow

Love all. Live free

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004 06:14:10 PM »

My sister does rug hooking.. and ive been badly wanting to learn.. id be interested in learning about this, too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smoon26
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004 06:17:51 PM »

hmmm...I think I have the instructions for this.  I'm pretty sure its in one of my MS kids or baby mags.  I'll check.  pretty simple though, if I remember right...

Cut towels into strips (don't know how wide though).
sew end to end to make long strips (you can do this as you go along)
sew three stips together at one end, and then start braiding.  When you have enough braided, you just start wrapping them, and stitch them together to make a circle.

I'll look for better instructions, though.  And, to braid...three strands connected together, and held down some in some way (like taped to a table, or tied to something).  Then just do right strand over middle, left strand over middle, right strand over middle, left strand over middle, etc etc.  Just hold it pretty tight, or the braid gets all loosey goosey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smoon26
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004 06:34:03 PM »

Here...I found these instuctions on the MS boards...couldn't find the feature article on it, and since this looks pretty much what would be in the mag, I haven't looked for that yet.  If you want me to still, I'm sure I can find it.  I've wanted to try this also.  Maybe someday! 

everything in color is a c&p

materials:
cotton bath towels (we used lime, celery, and white)
ruler
cutting mat (optional)
rotary cutter
nylon thread
curved apholstry needle or Braidkin

how to make a basic terry-cloth rug:
1.) Cut towels into 1 1/2" wide strips.
2.) Fold a strip in each color lengthwise into thirds to prevent fraying. Stitch together ends of the three folded strips to secure.
3.) Tightly braid folded strips to form ropes.
4.) With selvage overlapping, slice three new strips to end of rope using a whipstitch, then continue braiding. Repeat until all strips have been sliced and braided into one long rope. Stitch end to secure.
5.) Shape rug by coiling on a flat surface.
6.) With the bottom up, and starting at one end of the coils center (or at center point if rug is circular), tie thread through one strand of the braid.
7.) Loop that thread through your needle, and hold the rug flat as you stitch ropes together, catching every strand and stitching in a zig-zag motion as you work you way around the coils. Keep stitches hidden and close together. When you are finished, flip rug over to top side.

There is a workbook on page 184 for other rug designs. If the cicle design is not the one you wanted write back and I will write instructions for the one you want. Other choices are "striped rectangular rug", "concentric-circle rug", "multicolored round rug", "white round rug", and "tri-colored oval rug". 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenheart

My hobby is trouble

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004 12:45:47 PM »

I was looking for the instructions for the rectanglar rug in paticular. Striped is fine, I'm sure I could adapt it. Sorry it took so long to respond! oh, and what's the "workbook" that's referred to in the last message? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ditzy Biscuit
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005 05:04:29 PM »

Okay, so this is my first post, yay Cheesy.  Does anyone else do this?  I just started.  I went to a class got the basics and now I am stuck.  What happens when I turn for the second time?  Do I need to braid the right one more than twice?  Also when lacing the braids and run out of thread (actually hemp), can I just tie another one on?  Any other tips would help.  Thanks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005 12:29:38 AM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=17476.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Discovering Abigail May Alcott with Eve LaPlante
How to Write a Short Story
How to Write Rhyme
How to Improve Your Handwriting
Ross Floate on Using Twitter to Exercise Creative Writing Skills
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...