A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: prayer quilt - hearts and nine patch (plus a few stars!)  (Read 644 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tokolosh
« on: April 16, 2008 09:47:17 AM »

This week, 30 ladies got together to create a prayer quilt for a friend who has just be diagnosed with cancer.  She just started her course of chemo (12 hours  Shocked) and so we created this quilt for her to give her hope and to let her know she is not alone.

Its a tied quilt, and every tie is a prayer.

Some of the ladies have no idea how to sew, but they all took a turn at doing a heart or a star, all by hand.  The stitching is.....interesting Cheesy but they showed willing and stiched with love.  I wanted all the hearts to face the same way, but with different people sewing different parts, it was hard to keep control.

The fabric in the nine patch is from a kaffe fasset jelly roll with a precut selection of hearts and stars.  I really like it - its so bright and cheerful, just the thing to brighten up a dull hospital ward.

I want my DD to have one like this for her bed but she doesnt like the colours!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk16/t0mahawk_2008/prayerquilt-1.jpg     

I hope you like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008 11:41:50 AM »

Oh, how can you not like the colors???  It's beautiful, and I kind of teared up looking at it.

I think the hearts all going different ways could be seen as a little symbolic given the nature of the quilt, and I think it turned out marvelously.  It would be difficult to say the person is lucky, given the circumstances, but you can't help but feel they are blessed to have friends and community like the ones they've obviously got around them.

Fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
becc
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008 11:55:36 AM »

what a truly wonderful idea. I have never heard of this concept - I love it. The quilt came out beautifully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tokolosh
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008 02:59:00 PM »

thank you.  It was awesome working in an atmosphere like this - everyone just really keen to do SOMETHING to help this friend, each one doing their own bit - 5 sewing machines on the go, 30 people sewing a heart onto calico, then stretching out the backing, batting and quilt top to tie it.  Some formal prayers, many many simple prayers. 

(Id like to think that God listens more to prayers from us ladies because we keep them short and sweet and they are seldom about oursleves, invariably about the ones we love, not ourselves.)

Each person had to choose 3x  7.5inch strip of fabric, sew them together and then slice into 2.5" strips.  Then go to another 2 people and swap to make the 9 patch.   SO a real fellowship. And naturally, it was happy meeting, full of hope and resolve and strength as only women can muster in times of crisis.  From this one meeting we also raised money for a cancer charity and started the foundation of a project linus group - several ladies caught the quilting bug.

I am really pleased with the results and resisted the impulse to unpick and reset seams. I dont know that it will withstand washing, but I will probably offer to satin/blanket stitch all the hearts/stars before its put through the machine!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate and Pretzel Cupcakes
Plum Fool Recipe
Candied Peel Ricotta Tart Recipe
How to Make Pumpkin Coffee Cakes
How to Make Witch Cupcakes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...