A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First resin - fairytale images and original art. My process included. Obese post  (Read 2297 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 16, 2008 04:50:32 AM »

Ok, more stuff for my swap partner in the Fairytale, Fairies and Folklore swap. I had been procrasinating about using resin for ages now so I finally got my butt in gear to try it out. Here are the finished pieces and the experimental stuff too. I figured I would post some of my processes as I know how many Craftsters are interested in resin but haven't tried it yet. <<Beware, you will become hooked  Tongue

My interpretation of my partner's Wist item, Red Riding hood Pendant. Printed on inkjet printer, not sealed

Transparent resin with white flakes (more about that further down..)

Transparent again, my art (Frog Prince on a golden ball), Disney image, My art (Cinderella's carriage). Frog printed on inkjet printer, not sealed. Other two printed on transparancies at print shop (ridiculous prices though for the service)

Ok, so my tips and tricks: I used Glass Coat resin readily available in Bunnings Hardware (australia). I already had it on hand cause I tried it a few times as an alternative to varnish for polymer clay pendants. About $20.00 for a 250mL set, goes a long way.

Moulds: silicone star shaped ice cube tray, firm ice cube tray, plastic paint pallette, homemade moulds from Sculpey mold maker. All worked well but the paint pallette just wouldn't release no matter what I tried. A crying shame as it casts beautifully but has to be cut away. I plan to try recreating it in flexible silicone or latex.

Flakes embedded into the resin. Ok, so this is kinda funny. I was sanding the bottom of some polymer clay figurines and noticed the lovely coloured dust it leaves behind... *light bulb*... how about using it in resin for a background??
So I used a very rough sand paper (about 40) and got to sanding my old clay pieces that failed and were just sitting there. The mica and pearl were lovely and the colours are great, but bear in mind even black will come out more pastel as it is a dust.
Tools and resulting dust

Stars from ice cube tray (SOOOO many plans for more rubber trays  Grin), skulls originally moulded in Sculpey Mold Maker from a metal pendant.

Left 2 columns - Alice in Wonderland art, right column, my art

9 on top left, Fairytale pics, others are mine

These are filigree frames originally moulded in Sculpey Mould Maker froma metal scrapbooking frame. The black marks are transfer from the mould - the original metal rubbed off a bit. Worked pretty well but the detailed filigree is a bit much for the Mold Maker, I would like to try this in rubber.

Summary: rubber moulds = beautiful, ice cube trays = nice turn out, just have to wait until the resin is hard-cured and give them a twist and a bang. No mould release used.

Plastic paint pallette = beautiful resulat but has to be cut away, tried using Armor-all car protectant as mould release and didn't really help. The sides are very straight though and that didn't help trying to get the resin bits out.

Images - lightly coloured pics should be printed on paper, stronger colours and strong black images are great on paper or transparancies. If you shrink an image alot for a small pendant, make sure the lines/image are strong and detailed for a better result. Embedding the paper straight into the resin without brushing with glue or resin to seal creates a semi-translucent result. Really nice I think.

I popped the pieces out of the mould when they were medium-hard (for the rubber mould) and a little firmer for the ice cube tray. Then I laid them on their fronts and filled the indentation in the back with resin and added flakes. The back of the original piece will have high sides and a concave middle, if you fill it with more resin the resul seems much more professional.

Mix the flakes/colour/whatever with the resin in the mixing cup for a well mixed result.

If coverng the front of pendants with resin i prefer to just pour a little at a time directly on the pendant (I use kebab skewers to stir and spread the resin) rather than put sticky tape around the edges to create a frame. The end result is neater and the frame technique made the resin far too deep and the tape left the edges sticky.

Whew, I think that covers it. Fell free to ask me questions but the super-gigantic resin post has heaps of helpful stuff too, you can search within the post to see if your queries are covered.

Wow, thanks for looking and comment welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008 04:55:58 AM »

thanks a bunch for all the info,
the red riding hood is truly stunning
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
zemolina
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008 05:07:01 AM »

All the pendants are lovely, I love them, thank you! I love seeing how you made them too Cheesy
I'm totally gonna be wearing the little red one everywhere Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
murbeck
They call me a redneck, and I reckon that I am

"the chief enemy of creativity is good sense"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008 05:20:04 AM »

Yay, thanks for the run down- you answered all my questions!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are ALWAYS smiling"
"That's because I'm happy"

Facebook
I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

What good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008 09:17:47 PM »

Thanks all! I must give credit to the artist though, John Everett Millais. Of course as a gift I had no worries about using this image but I am still unsure about the whole copyright thing for images of artwork, even if the artist did die over 100 years ago  Undecided.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
Songs4Drowning
lost soul livin' in a fish bowl

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008 11:22:10 PM »

I believe the copywrite law is 75 years, so you should be good. I'm totally in lust with that Red Riding Hood pendant. GREAT job for your first jab at resin casting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

criticalmaas
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008 08:19:32 PM »

those're awesome! specially red riding hood and the frog prince...I wonder how Andrew Lang art would work? He's a bit more pen-and-inky, but i luurve his Sleeping Beauty!
Thanks for the helpful methodology!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008 07:12:28 PM »

I believe the copywrite law is 75 years, so you should be good
I must contact the local business advisory to find out the legalities of it all, I prefer to use my own works but some pictures are just too beautiful to pass by.

those're awesome! specially red riding hood and the frog prince...I wonder how Andrew Lang art would work? He's a bit more pen-and-inky, but i luurve his Sleeping Beauty!
Thanks for the helpful methodology!!
I just checked out Andrew Lang and yes, I think his work would look wonderful in shrunken resin pendants! I adore the pen and ink style and his pieces are really classic.

You are welcome for the methodology, many posts left me really intimidated and I put off working with resin for far too long. I was much easier than I expected. Bear in mind though that I use epoxy resin which has virtually no odour so I don't need to worry so much about ventilation masks and big airy workrooms!

Here is the actual Frog Prince, he is gouache and ink on watercolour paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
claraohara
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008 07:24:20 PM »

Wow!
Cool!
I too am so addicted to resin.
I didn't know you could get that stuff at Bunnings?!
I tried some other stuff from there and it was horrible-the stink was toxic!
Now I know it will save me the drive to Spotlight.
Thanks!
Love that frog prince-so handsome! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog full of food, fun, photography and every craft I attempt:
Blogginess
Smiley
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008 04:06:50 AM »

I tried some other stuff from there and it was horrible-the stink was toxic!
That was probably the polyester resin - a tin with a small bottle of catalyst that is kept behind the counter? I have heard the stink is quite bad and requires a gas mask.

And the good thing is that at Bunnings you can buy in bigger packs than Spotlight and the cost is better.

I'm looking forward to some new resin-y crafts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Teenage Marge - 47th Drawing
How to Draw Hans Moleman - 26th Drawing
How to Draw Marge Simpson - 13th Drawing
How to Draw Groundskeeper Willie - 32nd Drawing
Brush Mixing Leaf Green
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...