A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
343 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat Scratch Post / Pet Step Helper / Slide (tutorial inside)  (Read 2577 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

La_Exotique
« on: April 14, 2008 08:20:59 PM »

Ok this thing can have many titles, in my case it is a cat scratching post for my black cat who has been ripping my furniture apart, despite the fact that i have bought two cat trees. It takes simple and cheap stuff to satisfy my cats :/ Oh snap. The good thing about this, is you can have it placed flat as shown in the pic, or stand it upwards.

This can also be a tiny little slide for any small pets you have, or if you have a lazy or a disabled pet who has difficult reaching their litter box, or the couch, then this is a great piece for them to use to walk on.

Just as a side note, the scratching post i have is just a piece of flat board wood that is wrapped with carpet material, very easy and cheap. Depending on what your cat likes, it can be sisal rope material, or even some cardboard material. If you don't have a piece of wood, double up on some cardboard, until it's sturdy enough, then wrap it up with some fleece material or carpeting.

Anyways, what you will need.
Cardboard box, rectangular shaped preferred (I used priority mail box from USPS, the boxes are free).
Duct-tape
Scissors, or Box Cutter

Step 1: Trace your piece of board on top of the box. From corner to corner, create a intersect lines.
Step 2: Measure the thickness of your board, or estimate how deep you would like the fitting placement to be. Mine was about half an inch thick. So measure and draw that amount inward, from the originally traced line of the board.
Using a box cutter, cut along the intersecting lines.
Step 3: Fold each of the pieces upwards on the inward drawn line.
Step 4: Fold Each of the pieces inwards, from the original traced line.

Step 5: On the sides of the box, draw a line on an angle, to create the elevation of the post.
Step 6: Cut out the top part of the drawn angle (across the line, and across the fold). Once you have done both sides, it should look like the picture, with the top part as the flap.
Step 7: Re-trace the board onto another piece of cardboard, cut out that piece.
Step 8: Place the cut out piece in the dip that you created, resulting in Step 4.

Now use that tape as much as you can to attach that cut out piece to the four flaps.
Stuff the inside of the box/post, i used brown wrapping paper and rolled them up tightly and stuffed the inside so when my cat uses it, it's hard, won't collapse and is secure.
Now tape the angled sides.

The front part, you should fold up and tape, like in the picture.

Decorate it any way you would like, i used wrapping paper and clear tape because i'm ghetto lol.

Now you can place the scratch board post in, or whatever you please.

Hope this made sense.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008 08:24:16 PM by La_Exotique » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkukulele
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008 09:50:33 PM »

Very very cool! Do you think it would work on a bigger box, with a hole in it for kitty to hide in? I think it'd have to be lined to make it nice and cozy... Hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dsdiviny

"If I paint my turtle black it will be spooky."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008 04:59:57 PM »

That is awesome!  I am so making one this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennaDickes

Oh so tragically hip

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008 01:45:23 PM »

Ah I am so glad you posted this, I am in desperate need of cat scratch posts but they are obscenely overpriced at stores (still can't believe they still sell 1 inch thick slabs of cardboard box edging for $10-20).
The building tutorial is perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Prep School: The Inside Out Braid
InstaMakeover: A Headband with a Twist
Insta-Makeover: How To Glam Up Your Ponytail
Crown Braid Tutorial
How to Wear a Scarf-Adorned Hairdo for Spring
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...