A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Using up a bunch of acrylic (What would you do?)  (Read 1291 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: April 14, 2008 07:24:06 PM »

So I started knitting six months or so ago, and in my noobie fervor I bought about 15 skeins of Simply Soft. Now, as acrylics go it's nice and all, but really it doesn't behave like natural fiber at all. So, I have a ton of it on my shelf now and am wanting to be rid of it. The question is, how to do it?

I figure my options are as follows:
  • Donate it to charity. (not my favorite since I doubt much will come of it)
  • Knit a blanket
  • Stash it away and knit squares for Warm up America slowly.

I would like to knit a blanket but have a severe allergy to a million rows of stockinette. Alternatively, stashing for later charity knits isn't a terrible idea since I want to start a charity knitting group for students next year, but storage space is limited. Any ideas on a way to use up a ton of yarn easily? (or at least interestingly?)

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008 07:29:20 PM »

Knit a tardis. A rainbow acrylic Tardis.

I reckon knit squares, do a few between each project.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008 07:57:57 PM »

Knit a tardis. A rainbow acrylic Tardis.

I love you're thinking!! Though I think it might pain me on some level to have the TARDIS be anything but it's own glorious blue self. Sigh... Dr. Who is coming back on in a week and I don't have TV.  Angry

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008 01:19:13 AM »

That's the saddest story I've ever heard.

The eps are really good too.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008 11:02:24 AM »

Possibly make a few afghan/throws from the Lion Brand "Six Hour Throw" pattern.  I've done two in Jiffy acrylic yarn.  Granted, the size 50 Lion needles are a bit of a struggle--but I really didn't mind them too much.  And you can work up a nice throw in a quick amount of time. You could donate the throws or give them as gifts to anyone who wouldn't mind acrylic yarn.  I've got friends and family with small kids and they're actually afraid of most stuff I knit with nice yarn--they appreciate the cheap stuff more becuase they can use it and wash it, if need be.

Here's the pattern, though you may have to log in to access it:  http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60536.html
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008 12:49:10 PM »

I'd go for a blanket as well. I Love doing blankets. You don't have to worry quite much about size and gauge (unlike a garment) and they are always useful or appreciated as gifts. You could put 2 or more strands together as 'whistlepig' suggested, to do it bulkier and quicker, if necessary.
there are loads of blanket pattens about. here's some others.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008 12:56:13 PM by Jints » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008 01:22:54 PM »

I have a pair of armwarmers that I made with acrylic yarn (Super Saver even lol) I wear them all the time and get compliments on them.  Non-knitters don't know the difference between 'cheap' yarn and the $30 a hank stuff for the most part.
To that end, I reccomend knitting up small stuff and/or stuff that you can knit up quickly and either giving them away or going to a local craft fair type thing (or having a yard sale if you can) and selling them for not a whole lot.  Another good idea would be dog or cat garments.  It would give you the chance to try out techniques and patterns without the horrible commitment (however you spell that) of a 'human' sized item.  AND acrylic is ideal of animal wear since it is washable and can take a LOT of punishment.  Cheesy
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008 01:48:48 PM »

AND acrylic is ideal of animal wear since it is washable and can take a LOT of punishment. 
Great idea 'HandsyMalone'. I'm sure the local animal shelter would appreciate some animal blankets.
Patterns, sizes and other info. here. (if needed).
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008 02:22:24 PM »

You can knit toys and donate them to your local childrens hospital

Blanketwise you could just knit up squares from dishcloth patterns (like from Purple Ducky since most of her dishcloth patterns all have the same CO number, Needle size, and yarn weight req) and piece them together to make little patchwork blankets.

either way its not endless miles of plain old stockinette. Cheesy

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008 05:18:47 PM »

I would actually suggest crocheting a blanket.
There's a crochet-along that I'm in for a giant granny square blanket (it's all in once piece, no pesky finishing).
It's really quick to make, and depending on how many skeins you have, you could make a nice-sized blanket Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ross Bleckner on His Own Mortality
Oil Painting Tips for Vegetable Painting
How to Draw a Rabbit
An Interview with Comic Book Artist Mike Allred
Interview With Veteran Comic Book Artist Herb Trimpe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...