A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to hide cooked veggie tastes  (Read 1330 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunnydays914
« on: April 14, 2008 02:13:44 PM »

My fiance hates the taste of cooked veggies, which is a shame, because they are soooooo tasty! He doesn't mind if he can see them, he just doesn't want to taste them.

The cooked ones he does eat are: Broccoli (only with cheese), corn (on the cob or steamed), and green bean casserole (not so much a veggie if you ask me)

If this were a temporary issue, I wouldn't mind but since I'm going to be marrying the boy in 6 weeks, I figured I should try to reconcile our food differences in order to make our marriage a little more harmonious (and to make me feel better that he's actually getting the proper nutrition).

What kinds of foods mask cooked veggie tastes best?
What veggies are the easiest to hide?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

disposableactor
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008 03:04:19 PM »

Here's a recipe for veggie brownies that is awesome!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=106960.0
Jennickell is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strawberrieshk
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008 03:17:46 PM »

Here's a recipe for veggie brownies that is awesome!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=106960.0
Jennickell is amazing.

oh yes!! I saw something like that on tv (Rachel Ray or Oprah i think???) and I tried it and it was delish! It tasted like a normal brownie!

Also, you could always try making Brocolli soup (you get the texture and smell, though) or homemade pizza w/ olives and different veggies topped with a few pepperoni and lots o' cheese!!!

ANNDDDD, you could always make subs... *witch pickles, tomatoes (lol it's a veggie to me!), lettuce, onions, peppers, miracle whip (that mayo stuff), pepperoni, cheese, ham (or turkey 4 a healthier choice), etc.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi
watergarden
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008 04:19:58 PM »

Does he like raw vegetables?  How long are the vegetables he hates being cooked?  My husband absolutely *hated* a lot of vegetables (spinach & cauliflower were two big ones) until he had the way I made them -- it turns out that his family had always massively overcooked both.  Asparagus is another one that changes drastically if overcooked, from tasting very crisp, green & nice to having a horrible chemical taste.  If your fiance likes raw vegetables but hates them cooked this might be the solution.

Otherwise, there are a lot of great French sauces which are strongly enough flavoured to hide the taste of vegetables.  If you have an immersion blender it's a snap to make hollandaise sauce -- melted butter & lemon juice, basically, and it's great on green vegetables. 

How about onions and tomatoes?  I also really like Mario Batali's recipe for eggplant caponata (you can find it on the Food TV website), which convinced my eggplant-hating friends that it was a tasty thing.  It's little tiny cubes of eggplant cooked with onions, pine nuts & tomatoes, flavoured with cocoa powder and raisins.  It's pretty sweet & great on crusty bread.

Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008 06:40:20 AM »

have you tried roasting fresh asperagus or broccoli?  My Hubby used to hate cooked veggies.  roasting them in the oven with olive oil and a little bit of parmesean cheese until they are still just slightly crunchy has totally won him over.  I can look for my recipe if you are interested.  I agree with watergarden.  Over cooking veggies is a big reason why a lot of people say they dont like them.  Sometimes canned or frozen no matter how you cook them still taste like mush.  I've been Trying to use fresh when ever i can.  I've found Hubby eats much more veggies when i do this. 

Oh, spaghetti/lasagna/red sauce dishes are great for hiding all kinds of veggies in.  Esp carrots, mushrooms, peppers and zucchini.

I found a book in the library about how to hide pureed veggies in your kids meals.  There were lots of great ideas in there.  It's called "The sneaky Chef" by missy chase lapine.  She actually has 2 sneaky chef books, one is for kids and the other for husbands.  There is also a similar book by jerry seinfeld's wife called "Deceptively delicious".  (They didnt have that one at my library so i dont know how they compare.)

I just remembered spaghetti squash.  Have you tried that at all?  Sometimes we use that instead of noodles.  Smothered in red sauce you cannot taste the squash at all.  This is from hubby who proclaimed he hates hates hates squash.  If you've never cooked it, it does smell a bit squashy when you are cooking it.  Once all the steam goes away so does the squashy smell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008 06:45:04 AM »

If you grill them he may like the "manly grilled flavored"  Cheesy. Also mustard sauce or chipotle sauce might do the trick. You can also make veggie lasagna, or stews and things with lots of veggies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008 10:30:29 AM »

You could try crumbling some crispy bacon or toasted nuts into the vegetables. This works well in certain soups or on dark leafy greens (it actually got me to like Brussels sprouts!).
Has he tried salads? There's tons of salad recipes on here and on other sites with different vegetables and dressings.
Seconding cooking vegetables into sauces and things as well - you can chop things up small and put them in chillis or pasta sauces or curries. Try saag gosht (lamb in a spinach sauce) or dhansak (tons of lentils and/or chickpeas). You can make them spicier to help cover up the vegetable taste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedMenace
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008 07:24:01 PM »

My husband is the same way... I read about this one in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It's for "hiding" zucchini in pasta.

http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/Zucchini%20Orzo.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChipNClancysMom

Where Martha Stewart meets Martha Raye!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008 08:23:20 AM »

I like to grate up carrot and zucchini and add it to a box of stuffing. It really improves the flavor and vegi haters don't even realize it is in there.

Spaghettie sauce hides purees well and so does cheese sauce. If you make your own mac and cheese you can add in pureed cauliflower or butternut squash and no one will notice. Cauliflower is pretty mild and can be blended with a little cream cheese to make a mock mashed potato.

If you don't want to hide the vegies such as cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts etc, but just want to doctor the taste, toss them in melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. My Mom always cooked her greenbeans with bacon and red peppers and then tossed them in butter...not super healthy, but yummy.

Do sweet flavors appeal to him? You can candy your carrots with butter and brown sugar or add a bit of white sugar to peas as you cook them. If you do try to sneak any vegies into brownies, make sure they are totally cooled before you serve them or you will taste the vegies. (I learned this the hard way making spinach brownies)

Would he eat a beef vegitable soup if it had nice big chunks of meat in it? What about a homeade chicken pot pie with chopped up carrots and peas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008 03:55:05 PM »

Cauliflower is pretty mild and can be blended with a little cream cheese to make a mock mashed potato.

Ooh, that reminds me, the same goes for butter beans, although the texture's a little different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pair a Smoky Eye With a Bold Lip
How to Do Lower-Lid Liner
Get the Perfect Flush for Medium Complexions
Learn How to Apply Ombre Eye Makeup
Beauty Quickie: How to Remove Nail Polish
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...