A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,541
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brown Pleated Classy Clutch -- Tutorial is here!  (Read 113725 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Underhill940

Gilmore Girls, Coffee, and Crafting..life is good.

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2008 12:53:17 PM »

Hello!
I posted a "Blue Vintage Clutch" I made a week or so ago and everyone loved it so much (thanks again everyone) that I decided to make a tutorial to show how much I appreciate everyones comments. This Brown Classy Clutch is a little different in that I changed up the shape a little (you'll see how below). You'll be able to make either of the clutches by using this pattern. I only request two things for those who decide to use this pattern. 1) Give me some credit. When you post it please include a link to me. and 2) Please post pictures if you can. Please let me know if you have any problems using this tutorial so I can fix it. Have fun!

Ta-da! first, a picture of the clutch for your viewing pleasure.

And now for the moment you've all been waiting for...

Pleated Classy Clutch Tutorial by Underhill940
Time: 2-3 Hours
Level: Intermediate

Materials You Will Need w/ Abbreviations:

MF (Main Fabric) - you will need at least 1/4 yard. I barely made it with that so you may want a little more.
CF (Contrasting Fabric) - 1/4 should do it
Heavy Interfacing - 1/2 yard of a nice thick fusible interfacing
Medium Interfacing - 1/2 yard of fusible interfacing
Magnetic Snap
Thread and all your other normal sewing supplies

Pieces to Cut:

6 pieces of heavy interfacing. 14 inches across. 3 inches on the side. and coming down to a point in the middle making the middle 4 inches long like this...

4 pieces of MF that are 14x3 inches with a middle increase of 1 inch like the interfacing pieces above. (I suggest using the heavy interfacing pieces as a sort of pattern to cut these out).
2 pieces of MF 20x7 1/2 inches
2 pieces of medium interfacting 20x7 1/2 inches
2 pieces of contrasting fabric 15x7 1/2 inches

Time to begin!

1. Once you have all your pieces cut, go ahead and fuse the 6 interfacing pieces to the 4 matching MF pieces. 2 of the 4 MF pieces will get two pieces of interfacing. These two double interfaced pieces will be the outside handle part.

2. Take the two 20x7 1/2 pieces of fabric and fuse with the medium interfacing pieces. Now you can begin adding the pleats with an iron. You may choose to spread the pleats across the fabric or make a few small pleats in the middle. the choice is yours. Continue adding pleats until your piece is about 2 inches longer than one of the handle pieces. Pin the pleats in place.

Now sew across the pleats staying very close the the edge.

Repeat with your other piece.

3. Time to attach the outside handles. lay the handle piece on the pleated piece right sides together like this. manipulate the pleated piece so that the edges line up. Sew following the edge of your handle piece.

Once you unfold it, the piece should look like this

repeat with other pieces

4. It's time to get rid of rough edges. First you need to hem the top of each piece. I wanted my handle to be dainty so I hemmed the piece so that each side was only 2 inches tall. Do the same to both pieces. Lay the two hemmed pieces with right sides together and pin the top. Up until now you've been working with a pretty shapeless piece of fabric, it's time to decide what type of shape you'd like your clutch to have. Here's what I mean.

If you'd like a more straightbottom purse then measure across and cut a straight line. If you want a rounded bottom then cut the piece that way. Just make sure you keep it even! I suggest pinning the pieces together and then cutting at the same time. Once you've got it the way you want you need to secure every pleat at the bottom, and then sew around from side, bottom, and back to side.

Turn the piece and you end up with this!

5. So close! Time to repeat the steps with the CF. This time you will not be pleated so you can move straight to attaching the handle to the CF.

Repeat on both sides.

Now you can hem the top of both pieces (however big or small you made the outside). Make sure you measure all sides to make sure you've kept it even! Before you can sew the two pieces together you'll need to add the magnetic snap. Make sure its at least an inch down from the top. Put the two pieces right side together. Pin and sew!

6. Place the CF piece inside your MF piece and pin together. Keep it even at the top and make sure you're magnetic snap is all lined up. Once you're ready, stich all the way around the top.

TA-DA you're done!

I was really tired when I wrote this tutorial so I hope it made some sense lol. Got questions? Post here and I'll answer them asap. Hope some of you use this  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Stephanie
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

http://underhill940.blogspot.com/ <-- my crochet blog
www.wists.com/Underhill940 <-- yes I wist my own crafts hehe
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008 01:50:13 PM »

beautiful, just beautiful. I love the colors, fabrics and the shape of the clutch. Great job. Thank you for the tut, it's very well thought out and clear. When I make one, I will post pictures. Now .. to head to the sale at JoAnn for the perfect fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
Hadassah
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008 01:58:48 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm bookmarking this one. I've been looking for something like this and with your tutorial it does not look too hard. Yours looks pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YukinaKipling
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008 02:01:38 PM »

WOW! I love it! THanks so much for the tut. I will try it out when I have some free time
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008 03:29:10 PM »

Thank you sooooo very much for posting a tute! When you made the blue one, I was working on a dress with vintage fabric. I thought this clutch would be a PERFECT accessory! The dress was WAY too big, but I just received a bit more fabric, and I'm trying again. Would you believe that the very day I the fabric arrived you posted the tute?!?! If that's not a sign, I don't know what is!

Thanks so much for posting the tute. It looks wonderful. The pictures will be a huge help. I'm going to make the dress first, then the bag. I'll give you credit, and post a link so you can see my finished product!

I really do appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
Hadassah
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008 04:37:16 PM »

You know, I just keep coming back to this post! It's beautiful. I'm going to make some. My sister said she wants a clutch and I want one to take to school with me so do you want me to post my pictures on this thread/topic or make my own and add a link? It's up to you.

First, I have to get some really cute fabric. *sigh* If only I had money to spend right now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beeshebags
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008 04:54:24 PM »

Hi hun,

Thank you so much for the tute, I haven't forgotten about the plaid satin, just keep running out of time to go hunting for it....but as soon as I find some, I'll be in touch ok?

I'll post one of the black and gold clutch as soon as I make it.

Hugs
Naomi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Underhill940

Gilmore Girls, Coffee, and Crafting..life is good.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008 05:41:25 PM »

I'm so glad to hear so many of you want to make one  Smiley If you could just post a link to your thread in this thread that would be great. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Hi hun,

Thank you so much for the tute, I haven't forgotten about the plaid satin, just keep running out of time to go hunting for it....but as soon as I find some, I'll be in touch ok?

I'll post one of the black and gold clutch as soon as I make it.

Hugs
Naomi

aw thanks. I appreciate you looking for that fabric for me. I can't wait to see what you find  Smiley Have fun sewing your clutch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Stephanie
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

http://underhill940.blogspot.com/ <-- my crochet blog
www.wists.com/Underhill940 <-- yes I wist my own crafts hehe
SeeMellySew
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008 05:45:08 PM »

Wow, thanks for the tutorial! I can't wait to make this Smiley I'll post a pic when I do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy:
http://thewillowtree.etsy.com
My Blog:
http://treasuresunderthewillowtree.blogspot.com

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Seuss
Cringer
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008 06:18:37 PM »

awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Stylist Tips For Your Next Hair Cut
Bohemian Hairstyles at the Mara Hoffman Fall 2012 Fashion Show
How to Make a Natural Mask for Dry Hair
Carolina Herrera Fall 2012 Backstage Hairstyling
Tracy Reese Fall 2012 Backstage Hairstyling
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...