A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Back to Nature Swap (Send outs 31st May)  (Read 16849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kenners
« on: April 14, 2008 03:44:31 AM »

Welcome to the Back to Nature Swap!

Swap name: The Back to Nature Swap
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: Kenners (Plus Co-organiser if needed)
Sign-up date range: 14/04/08 - 24/04/08 (BST)
Date to send item by: 31st May
Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): No, although I will appoint a co-organiser if numbers exceed 20

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? No

Age requirement? Only the craftster wide requirement of 13 years old.

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: Yes
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: Yes
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: Yes
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: Yes

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: Yes
- Has posted at least 15 times:Yes
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: Yes
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: Yes

The Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: Yes
- Has posted at least 15 times:Yes
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: Yes
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: Yes
- Does not have any negative feedback: Yes
- Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 13 years old: Yes
- Does not have any negative feedback: Yes
- Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 13 years old: Yes

The survey all participants need to fill out is below, but first have a read of what this swap is all about!

The Back to Nature Swap is an opportunity for craftsters to celebrate how wonderful the natural world is. This is quite a wide ranging topic, so it would mean quite a bit of partner communication, but could include lots of things from Gaia and the Green Man to natural cosmetics and natural fibres, from natural art and landscape photography to organic recipes and tips/aids to living a life less impacting on the environment (reusable bags etc). It can be a bit spiritual or simply practical.

There are more ideas and discussion in the original thread http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=225249.0

The swap parcels should include:
 - 1 Large or 2 Medium items
 - 4 small items

Small variations on this can of course be discussed between partners - just as long as everyone is happy!

Some ideas that were suggested in the pre-sign-ups thread are listed below:
 - Items made from natural fibres/fabrics, i.e. natural yarn gloves etc.
 - Natural cosmetics
 - Items incorporating natural things - shells, polished wood etc.
 - Recycled items, ie journals from paper already printed on one side, reusing old buttons, clothes etc.
 - Yarn spun in natural colours
 - Fabrics/yarn dyed with natural dyes
 - Reusable items, nappies, cleansing clothes, tea bags, shopping bags to help maintain the natural world
 - Herbal teas
 - Seeds and instructions for growing them
 - Literature/poetry/quotes inspired by nature
 - Anything inspired by nature really, for instance landscape bookmarks, skirts etc, Flower motifs, tree silhouette t-shirts.
- Things to help others enjoy nature more, wellies (or light weight sandals for those who prefer to go barefoot to carry easily, in case of glass/gravel), pouches to collect finds in, cases for compasses, thermos flasks etc.
 - Jewelery based on organic shapes
 - Recipes using wild/organic food

For inspiration I always find searching Etsy for key words helps (although I would encourage you to use this for inspiration only, and always credit if you take more than just inspiration from someone else's idea) and I also find the work of Andy Goldsworthy and Rob Plattel very inspiring when it comes to Environmental Art - Google them, its worth a look.For further inspiration, well get outside!

I will be looking for a co-organiser if the swap is particularly popular  (over 20) - so any volunteers are welcome!

Also its worth pointing out I am UK based and so all dated/times will be in BST, and that I will be asking for proof of postage from everyone - even if its just a receipt from the Post Office.

The questionnaire is pretty long, feel free to miss any questions you wish from the General Questions and Swap Specific Questions Sections if you are pressed for time. However, the more information the better and if I feel some one hasn't provided enough information I will ask for some more before accepting them.

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:

Name of swap
Craftster username
Email address
Your real name
Mailing address including the country
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
Confirm that are at least 13 years old (yes/no)

GENERAL QUESTIONS

What are you're favourite colours?
What are your favourite textures?
What are your favourite patterns/motifs etc?

Will the crafts that you are sending come into contact with any common allergens (i.e. pet fur, smoke etc)?
Do you have any allergies?
Are there any things you cannot receive for health/idealogical reasons (i.e. you would prefer to only receive organic/veggie/vegan/fairtrade foods)?

What crafts do you do/would you potentially send?
What crafts would you like to receive?

What size in clothes and shoes are you?
What sort of jewelery do you tend to wear (give ring size/wrist size details if you want)?
Do you have any pets?
What do you do aside, from craft, in your free time (do you write, partake in sports, read, dance etc)?
Briefly describe your life style (i.e. are you married, do you have pets, whats your job):

Do you have a blog/website/wist that you want to share for your partner to have a look at?

SWAP SPECIFIC QUESTIONS

Try and describe why nature/natural things appeal to you (is it purely aesthetic, spiritual, scientific etc.)?

What is your favourite thing to do in natural surroundings/outdoors?
What is your favourite time of day/night to be outside?
What is your favourite natural place (provide a photo if possible) and why?
What is your favourite plant?
What is your favourite animal?
What is your favourite season?

Do you have any interest in any of the following (Delete or expand as appropriate, and feel free to add your own):
Gardening:
Wild food:
Organic food/materials/resources:
Natural dyes/fibres:
Walking/hiking:
Environmentalism (or any other political movement linked with Nature):
Collecting natural things:
Environmental Art:
Animals:
Botany:
Herbalism:
Recycling:
Low impact living:

Do you or would you like to live more naturally?
Would you like to receive items to help you live more naturally?

Are there are any pictures of nature/natural things that you find particularly inspiring that you want to share?

END

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

If you have any questions then please get in touch! Hope to see you signing up soon

Kenners

- - - - - - -

Participants

1. JillBoBill
2. KatyMai
3. Kenners
4. HeatherJuneYoung
5. Lapoli
6. scienceissexy
7. superhooker
8. Craftycreations79
9. sparrowowl
10. bosssanders
11. Ecstatic
12. Pinokeeo
13. Kartiana
14. tiggyjn
15. AeonGoddess
16. catpants
17. Buns
18. Yulu
19.JenSquared
20. tazzell
21. Cabin Fever
22. EowynUlysses
23. k-roc
24. varandra
25. Pogo
26. tristitia
27. Angry Angel
28. M8888888

UPDATED - PLEASE READ

Group 1 (Kenners' Group)

KatyMai ==> Tiggyjn
Tiggyjn ==> KatyMai
HeatherJuneYoung ==> Cabin Fever
Cabin Fever ==> HeatherJuneYoung
Scienceissexy ==> AeonGoddess
AeonGoddess ==> Scienceissexy
Superhooker ==> k-roc
k-roc ==> Superhooker
Ecstatic ==> JillBoBill
JillBoBill ==> Ecstatic
Yulu ==> EowynUlyssess
EowynUlyssess ==> Yulu
Varandra ==> Kenners
Kenners ==> Varandra

Group 2 (Catpants' Group)

JenSquared ==> Pogo
Pogo ==> JenSquared
Tazzell ==> Angry Angel
Angry Angel ==> Tazzell
M8888888 ==> Tristitia
Tristitia ==> M8888888
Lapoli ==> Kartiana
Kartiana ==> Lapoli
Craftycreations79 ==> Sparrowowl
Sparrowowl ==> Craftycreations79
Bossanders ==> Pinokeeo
Pinokeeo ==> Bossanders
Catpants ==> Buns
Buns ==> Catpants

So, if you have any queries, problems, questions, concerns etc etc etc please contact the organiser of your group!

We will keep track of our groups, who has sent/received etc in the gallery post when its created. Please do not post in the gallery untill both Catpants and I have posted (so we have the first two posts, for neatness).

Gallery
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=245520.0
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008 02:55:29 AM by Kenners » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Generation Artisan

"Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
elmpixie
I need my hat, but not for my head...

Four's Treble

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008 03:52:25 AM »

YEA!!!

I'm so glad this started.  I'll join as soon as i'm cleared on some other swaps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST
BLOG

Couture
Bag with a plan
Wearables
Wall-E
JillBoBill
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008 05:03:46 AM »

I really want to sign up for this, but it doesn't say - or maybe I just missed it - how many / what size items we're sending? Is it just for us to work out with our partners?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kenners
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008 05:48:07 AM »

I really want to sign up for this, but it doesn't say - or maybe I just missed it - how many / what size items we're sending? Is it just for us to work out with our partners?

Well noticed! I've added that information in. Sorry about that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Generation Artisan

Tanna
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008 06:09:48 AM »

im sorry but im kind of new to this thing still, how big is Large or Medium  Embarrassed (for the items)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kenners
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008 07:34:56 AM »

im sorry but im kind of new to this thing still, how big is Large or Medium  Embarrassed (for the items)

Don't worry about it, I should have put something up there about it. Guidance on item sizes can be found in the Swap FAQ page (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=229624.0) along with lots of other information that I recommend you read. Its really handy.

This is what it says about item sizes:

There has been a bit of confusion as to what is a large, medium, and small item.  So here's a handy dandy guide.  This is not totally set in stone, but is a rough estimate of sizes described by time it takes to make package, by physical size and by cost:

By Time
-Big = 3 or more hours
-Medium = 2 or more hours
-Little = 2 or less hours

By Size
-Big = A shawl, a shirt, a skirt, a set of jewelry with four to five items, a purse
-Medium = one single necklace or bracelet, a scarf
-Small = Earrings, stickers, wallets, pouches, bookmarks

By Price
-Big = $30 or more
-Medium = $10-$30 dollars
-Small = $10 or less

Remember, the important thing is that you and your partner agree.  If you want to make each other a purse for a shawl, go ahead.  Just make sure you're being fair, you communicate with your partner and you meet the guidelines outlined in the Swap Guide as well as additional guidelines setup by the Organizer of the particular swap.

Obviously, each project is different.  Please use your discretion when deciding what is a large vs. small project.  These are just a suggestions.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Generation Artisan

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008 10:25:13 AM »

Oh man, this sounds like fun. ...but I'm already signed up for the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Swap and it just started... I wonder if I'd have time for both? **thinks**
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
Kenners
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008 10:50:09 AM »

Oh man, this sounds like fun. ...but I'm already signed up for the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Swap and it just started... I wonder if I'd have time for both? **thinks**

Well, some ideas could cross over between these two swaps so maybe it wouldn't be as tricky as doing two completely distinct swaps. Although I wouldn't want you to compromise your RRR swap (a theme close to my own heart) so thinking carefully is a good plan!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Generation Artisan

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008 10:57:10 AM »

Well, some ideas could cross over between these two swaps so maybe it wouldn't be as tricky as doing two completely distinct swaps. Although I wouldn't want you to compromise your RRR swap (a theme close to my own heart) so thinking carefully is a good plan!

Since sign ups are through 24APR, then I think I might still sign up. I will just wait and see how much I get done for the other swap before I decide. But this would be really fun too and I would absolutely LOVE the chance to get some home-made soap! (if I got partnered with a soap-maker).  Cheesy In any case I will be lurking in the gallery
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
Tanna
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008 11:34:47 AM »

Don't worry about it, I should have put something up there about it. Guidance on item sizes can be found in the Swap FAQ page (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=229624.0) along with lots of other information that I recommend you read. Its really handy.
thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pottery: How to Make a Planter Pot
Pottery: How to Make a Large Pot
Pottery: How to Make a Double-Walled Vessel
Pottery: How to Make a Bottle Form
Different Shapes of Pottery Products
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...