A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Passover (Bread-free) Recipes  (Read 1411 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_abi
« on: April 13, 2008 05:39:55 PM »

This is an open-call for all of your favorite Passover recipes.  Each year I get bored/desperate and the prepared mixes at the supermarket for pseudo-bagels don't do it for me. 

For those who do not know, the Jewish holiday of Passover starts Saturday night, April 19th, and restricts the consumption of all "leavened" foods, which ends up being a ban on flour and other grains, essentially. 

So, bring 'em out!  I've got a brownie recipe, so I'll start:

Brownies
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c passover cake meal (matzoh meal, etc.)
1 c. butter
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1c. choc. chips

Beat eggs and sugar together until thick and light.  Melt butter and chocolate together; add to egg mixture.  Mix in cake meal/matzoh meal.  Add chocolate chips (make sure it's cooled a bit so you don't melt them).  Pour into a greased and floured 7"x11" or 9"x9" pan.  Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

They're really fudgy and fall-apart-y.  If you refrigerate them, they stay together better. YUM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008 05:52:31 PM »

I feel your pain.  Matzo?  Might as well eat the cardboard box it's packaged in - it tastes the same.

I'm hosting my family's seder this year.  I cannot freaking STAND those pre-packaged kugel mixes, so I'm preparing a veggie kugel.  And the cake mixes are beyond disgusting.  I found an apple tart recipe in one of my cookbooks, so I'm planning on preparing just the filling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

polaris082411
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008 12:52:22 AM »

Smiley STUDY....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make your home in oritental style!
http://www.discovery5000.com/chanpin.asp
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008 08:01:52 AM »

Thank you for starting this post lil-abi.  I was hoping I'd find some help like this.  Hope more contribute.  TheCraftCat, thanks for the tips on mixes.  Could you possibly share your apple tart recipe please.
Here are some of my have to make on Passover recipes.

Chocolate Balls
1 1\2 c sugar
1 c. milk
100 gr bitter chocolate
8 T. Matzo meal (I usually add much much more--just eyeball it)
2\3 c marg. (that is down from a cup from the original recipe)
Almond flavoring to taste
Melt sugar and milk.  Add chocolate until melted.  Add marg. til melted.  Add matza meal, mix then add almond flavoring.
Let cool.
When cool you can shape these into little balls and roll them in cocoa or coconut etc.
I just shape a loaf out of it and put it into a covered dish in the fridge. (I got tired that it took longer to make little balls than it took them to eat the things so we go for loaf.lol)

Matzo Balls
I've seen lots of these but this is tried and true.  I've had lots of people ask for this recipe as I did when I had them for the first time years ago.  No this recipe is all over the world.
I make this a day ahead--no headaches.  Also this makes a whole lot of matza balls, so beware.
500 gr. matzos
250 gr matza meal (about 2 1\3 cup)
35gr salt (I don't use it--don't tell the hubby)
1 1\2 t. ginger
black pepper to taste
900 gr. warm water
300 gr. oil
10 eggs

Break matzos into small pieces.  Add dry ingredients.  Mix well.  Add warm water and oil.  Mix well!!!! Let set a few minutes.  Beat eggs together and add to mixture.  Mix well.  Let sit 3-4 hours or overnight to let flavors marry (or whatever it's called)
You know the rest.  Make into balls etc.
I also have had excellent results in freezing these.

Gotta go check my Passover book to see what else I have.  It's been a year and I've forgotten..
These two recipes don't really take too long to make.  I usually make them "around" other things I'm doing.
10 eggs
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008 09:17:42 AM »

As promised.......

I've never tried either of these recipes before.  My in-laws are going to be my guinea pigs  Tongue  I've reproduced the recipes as they are in the cookbooks.  My notes are in parentheses.

Potato Kugel - from The Jewish Holiday Kitchen by Joan Nathan

4 eggs
8 medium Idaho potatoes
1 large onion, peeled and cut in pieces
6 tablespoons matzo meal
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder (I plan on using a bit of baking soda; baking powder is a leavening agent but baking soda is not.)
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup melted chicken fat or pareve margarine

Preheat oven to 375F.

Break the eggs in a medium bowl and set aside.

Grate the potatoes and onion in a food processor or by hand.  Pour into a large strainer.  Drain water and combine potatoes and onions with the eggs.  Stir thoroughly and add the matzo meal, baking powder, salt, pepper, and chicken fat or margarine.  Turn into a large greased souffle dish.

Bake in the oven 30-45 minutes, until golden brown.

Serves 8-10.

--------

Fruit Tart - from Master Recipes by Stephen Schmidt

Filling:
2 pounds (6 medium) tart, hard apples
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar
1/2 - 1 tablespoon cornstarch (I plan on using matzo meal as a thickener instead)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves

Peel, core, and slice the apples thinly, tossing in lemon juice as you go.  Combine with the other filling ingredients.

The rest:
1-1/2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs or ground nuts
4 to 6 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup apricot jam
1 partially baked 9-inch tart shell

Preheat oven to 400F.

Combine bread crumbs or nuts and 2 tablespoons sugar and sprinkle evenly over bottom of pastry shell.  Prepare fruit and arrange in shell.  Brush fruit with lemon juice, sprinkle with remaining sugar, and dot with the butter, cut into small pieces or thin pats.  Bake the tart for 25 to 35 minutes or until the juices are thick and bubbly and the fruit offers no resistance when pierced with a knife.

Force the jam through a sieve into a saucepan, bring to a boil over moderately high heat, and cook, stirring, for 20 seconds.  Spoon jam over the tart, covering the fruit and the spaces between it, but not the crust.  Serve the tart warm or at room temperature, accompanied, if you wish, by sour cream or creme fraiche.

(I plan on preparing just the filling, putting it straight into my pie pan without a crust, and baking it that way.  No sour cream or creme fraiche - my grandmother-in-law, who does not make any pretense of keeping kosher the rest of the year, would blow a gasket at the idea of combining meat and dairy.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008 04:24:31 PM by TheCraftyCat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008 07:29:35 AM »

Looks like a lot of interest here.
Thanks for the kugel recipe.  I'll try that out at the Seder.  I've never made a kugel before.  This looks like a huge Hanuka latke.lol  I'm still looking for a kick behind desert for the Seder.  I'm making my usual matza loaf (recipe above) and a chocolate cake, will try to do some brownies.  Have to adapt my cheesecake (for show lol)  I want to make a tall mousse for the guests to take home.
BTW, TheCraftyCat, you can substitute potato starch for the cornflour.
Hope more post...maybe everyone is very busy with getting ready?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008 08:02:15 AM »

Thanks for the potato starch idea!  *tries to remember if she bought some*

DH and I did our Passover grocery shopping last week.  I have to say, it's nice to live in an area where there is a sizable Jewish population.  The last place we lived, we were the entire Jewish community  Sad and the supermarket's Passover section consisted of about five boxes of matzo and a couple of jars of gefilte fish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008 09:04:36 AM »

I did the "bulk" of my shopping last night and am off in about 15 min for the next round.  Where I live we are the majority but I am a minority when it comes to KFP.  We will be very small this yr, 6 of us but am setting places for 10. 
Funny, I couldn't find potato starch only corn flour so I'm gonna go give it a go at another shop.  I was at my sisters last year around the beginning of March the stores had matza's out already.  I got a chuckle out of that.  I feel lucky that I found the Mana---chevis...Sp fish..the only fish I eat. (doesn't taste like fish at all)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008 06:41:08 PM »

The seder went off without a hitch.   Grin  Since there were only five of us, I halved the kugel recipe, and still only 1/4 of it was eaten - we'll be in kugel until next Passover  Tongue  I also prepared the kugel without salt, as MIL has high blood pressure, so it was a bit bland... but a sprinkle of salt on my portion fixed that.

I used Splenda brown sugar blend with the apple "tart".  It's just as sweet with half the amount of sugar, and the brown sugar lent a nice color.

On a side note, I ran the service, and I added a few feminist readings and prayers... and my hyper-traditional in-laws not only accepted them, but asked me to hang onto the photocopies I made, so that we might use them in the future.  Haha, I might have actually dragged them into the 21st century.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008 11:49:16 PM »

Well, our Seder turned out fine..great.  I only had a few mini disasters.  While making a tuna mousse my blender went up in smoke.  Yep, smoke was coming out of the thing so the deserts that I make with it is on hold for now.  Had issues with my potatoes.  No enough so I made (was told to under no circumstances to make something new at the Seder) my cubed potato with onion soup powder, olive oil and paprika, then into the oven.  Turned out okay but as soon as I get more potatoes I'm making that kugel even if it's for me.  I tried to take pics but there just wasn't time.  We were only 6 in the end with places for 8 (luckily I have a set of dishes for 8!?!)  We had brisket (DIL made) chicken, potatoes, broccoli, string beans, brussel sprouts, tuna mousse, deviled eggs, matza ball soup (recipe above) For desert we had  individual flourless lava cakes and lots of wine. (I had the baby grape juice the wimp that I am)  Today is baking day...gonna have lots of fun there.  Hag Samaech.  Happy holiday

Forgot to ask, what type of pastry shell did you make for your fruit tart?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008 11:52:04 PM by Jinjeet Phoenix » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Brick Stitch Patterns
How to Fly Stitch Horizontally and Vertically
How to Design Cross Stitch Patterns
How to Stitch Folded Edges
How to Sew a Feather Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...