A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: NEW to sewing! lil question  (Read 359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hollyhawker
« on: April 12, 2008 02:55:38 PM »

ookay, so i'm a generally crafty person (scrapbooking, crochet, felt crafts) and i'm very interested in the idea of making my own clothing. but up to this point, i've been to scared to get into something i might be bad at. i've never even really used a sewing machine before!!

should i just jump into a project and see how it goes? are there ways i should practice first?

THANKs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deathslilsister

elegantly waisted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008 03:16:01 PM »

I think the easiest thing to do is to start by reconstructing some different clothes... there are tons of tutorials on the reconstruction board, and it'll help give you an idea of how clothes are put together if you take some things apart and re-work them, so it'll be easier to work from a pattern or a tutorial to make some things from scratch. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Therisa

Knitfiend, Mad Sewist

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008 03:38:53 PM »

I think the best thing to do is to start with a pattern from a major company, a pattern for pajama pants.  When I teach beginners, this is what I start out with.  Read the directions twice through before starting.  You should be able to get a nice result the first time.  go to burdastyle.com for free download patterns and lots of instructions on how to choose a pattern size, how to cut out the pattern, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Fabric Fast and pledged to buy no new yardage until July 1, 2008.

2008 Fabric Purchased: 56 yards

Fabric Sewn: 93 yards

Fabric Remaining: An Awful Lot

I am open to personal swaps!

http://www.wists.com/Therisa
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008 06:30:23 PM »

I say start even simpler that they suggested. Before you learn to drive you have to learn the car: lights, wipers, seat adjustments, etc. Once you are settled with where everything is, you can focus on getting the car down the road, sewing is the same. You need to be familiar with the machine before you can get it to do anything.

Get some scrap fabric & borrow a machine or visit a friend/ family member with a machine & check it out. Read the manual, play with various stitches, sew random bits together.
Then go get a very simple pattern, I reccomend starting with something that's not sized, like pillows or an apron & do that first.
Then you are ready for pajamas or reconning tees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008 09:02:01 PM »

when I was taught we started with a simple pillowcase, moved on to a pair of sleep shorts so on, each step teaching you 1 or 2 new techniques (pillow-straight sewing,simple hem,simple fastening: sleep shorts -sewing a curve adding elastic etc)
The thing is though, usually when you start sewing you want to make couture designs not pillowcases Cheesy I let my DD make her own design -a medieval shirt with silk and velvet. After lots of help she did it. It has taken me several tries to get her to do something simple and because all the earlier projects have been REALLY hard she was stunned when she made boxers in less than an hour. I guess a lot depends on how much help you can get and what you want/need.
Is there a project you have in mind?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008 09:06:22 PM »

I say start even simpler that they suggested. Before you learn to drive you have to learn the car: lights, wipers, seat adjustments, etc. Once you are settled with where everything is, you can focus on getting the car down the road, sewing is the same. You need to be familiar with the machine before you can get it to do anything.

Get some scrap fabric & borrow a machine or visit a friend/ family member with a machine & check it out. Read the manual, play with various stitches, sew random bits together.
Then go get a very simple pattern, I reccomend starting with something that's not sized, like pillows or an apron & do that first.
Then you are ready for pajamas or reconning tees.

I second that
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
fellybabe
fashion is like my skin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008 01:56:35 AM »

Practise makes perfect.reconstruction of clothes really work 4 me too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

can't do without my hubby and fashion
tigerbaby1981
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008 07:33:51 AM »

I am still newer to sewing (oct 07) but I started out with tab curtain panels then pj pants, then jumped to dressy pants for me and then a dress for my daughter who was 3mths at the time.. Depends on what you are comftable but I would suggest not to get a really hard project started cause you may get discouraged before finishing and then not sew.. I find taking a basic class helps also.. Now I can insert a zipper both lapped and slotted.. Im moving on to dresses and such..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Fresh Ways to Style a Ponytail
Sleeping Beauty: How to Get Glam Waves While You Snooze
How To Get Natural Looking Waves
How to Do a Messy Bun and Freshen Up Your Hair
How to Curl African American Hair Naturally
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...