A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty Business Advice Interview #2 - Aimee Ray aka merwing  (Read 12580 times)
Tags for this thread: crafty_business_advice_interview  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2008 12:24:15 PM »

If you don't know who Aimee Ray is, maybe you recognize the name merwing?  If not, surely you recognize her wonderful embroidery:

If that's not ringing any bells you may have been under a non-crafty rock!

Besides her fabulous contributions here on Craftster, she has an etsy shop called little dear, a website called dreamfollow, oh yea, and there that little issue of being a published author!  She wrote the fabulous embroidery book Doodle-Stitching!

So Aimee, when you started your business did you set out with a business plan and funding? or did it grow organically from your hobby?

It basically grew from my hobbies. I've always loved making stuff, and I've been lucky to be able to sell some of what I make! I started small, with my etsy shop. (www.littledear.etsy .com) Etsy is great, it's inexpensive, and has allowed me to try out lots of different things. If they don't sell, you're not out much.  Wink

Do you have a preference in selling online or in brick and mortar stores?  If yes, why?

I mostly only sell online, and it's been really good so far. I feel like there is a much larger audience. I do have some wholesalers with real stores, which is fine too. I'm sure there is an advantage to people being able to see/touch an item, but overall I've sold lots more online.

How do you promote your items?  What is your most effective marketing strategy?

I post my work for free online wherever I can. Besides craftster, I use flickr, myspace, livejournal and deviantart regularly. I think the more places you can get your stuff out there the better! I am also a firm believer in the Sampler, (www.homeofthesample r.com) they are great and super cool to work with.  Smiley

What is your pricing method?

This can be a challenge, I don't really have a set method. I come up with a price based on several different factors, such as: how long I spent making the item, cost of materials, comparison with cost of similar items by other crafters, or just what I feel like it's worth to me. Sometimes trial and error is a good way to find out what people would be willing to pay.

Being a published author is huge!  How did your book deal happen? Was the idea presented to you? or did you initiate it?  Did you use an agent?  How long did the process take from start to finish, concept to shelves?

I was very lucky to have been contacted out of the blue by my publisher (Lark Books) and asked if I was interested in writing a book! They had seen some of my embroidery online and thought I would be a good choice. I had never written anything before, but they were very helpful in assigning me an experienced editor who helped me with the technical stuff, while still allowing me full creativity. It was really a fun and very challenging experience. The whole process took about a year and a half, I had to first do up an outline with my project and pattern ideas, then take one project at a time, making it and writing the instructions. I also did all my own illustrations. After I turned everything over to them, they took photos, did the book design and handled the printing.

Was there a moment when you felt "I've hit the "big time"?  What was going on in your business at the time? 

Wow, I don't feel like a celebrity or anything! It was super exciting to have the first copy of my book in my hands, and to see it in the marketplace. Crafting is still not my full time job (yet), I will really feel like I've "hit the big time" if I can reach that goal.  Smiley

Can you describe a "typical" day in your business? 

I still have a full time, "real" job! I do all my crafting on the side. I work a normal day as a greeting card designer, and when I get home, I pretty much devote all my free time to making stuff. I have a hard time doing nothing, so I usually have some project in hand even just sitting on the couch watching movies.

I have to say, not being a full-timer is very inspirational! I'm sure a lot of Craftsters don't want to or don't feel they can give up their 9 to 5s!  How do you handle the times when crafting does feel like a job and doesn't feel as enjoyable?

Well, so far I've been lucky. I've only felt overwhelmed a few times, and I've had to just make a list and take everything one project at a time until it's all done. I still love everything I do, and the things I make are kind of diverse, so if I get burnt out on embroidery for instance, I switch to some digital art or painting my NOM gnomes for awhile.

What is your biggest piece of advice to those craftsters who are reading this interview and just starting out in their own crafty business ventures?  What has helped you the most?

Just find something you love to do and do it! Try not to make things just because you think they will sell, make them because you like them. Start out small, try lots of different things, don't get discouraged. Use the internet! We are so lucky to have so many opportunities to get our work out there, right at our fingertips. You never know who might see it.  Wink

What are you favorite crafting tools? What was your best crafting tool purchase?

A needle and embroidery floss seem to find their ways into almost everything I make.  Smiley Embroidery is so versatile, I love that I can add a little piece of stitched artwork to things. One of my favorite tools was actually given to me, it is a book of samples of all the embroidery floss colors available from DMC. I love that thing.

What inspires you?

Everything inspires me. Especially nature, animals, other artists on the internet! My dreams also inspire me.

What is your favorite material to embroider on?

Any plain cotton fabric, or felt.

Do you still find time to craft for yourself?  If so, how do you find the time?

I kind of look at everything I make as for myself. Sometimes my work is hard to let go of! I do make Blythe clothes pretty much only for myself, I'm not good enough at it to sell them yet! As for time, as I mentioned before, I'm pretty much always working on something, but it doesn't feel like work.

And finally, what do you want embroidered onto your tombstone?

haha, that is a tough one. I would appreciate some embroidered artwork rather than flowery words I think.  Wink

Thanks so much merwing!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009 09:52:18 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008 02:29:02 AM »

yay!! what an awesome interview!

merwing, thank you so much! (and you too jungrrl! Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008 04:49:56 PM »

I enjoyed that very much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008 06:10:50 PM »

Great interview. Smiley

Love her stitching style, and designs. They remind me of some of the work my Grandmother used to do when she would just stitch whatever came to her mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patti M

Formerly known as pjmclnj!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008 07:29:01 PM »

Great interview. I loved hearing from a part-timer who is so successful. Makes it seem attainable to the rest of us. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Favorites-http://www.etsy.com/people/pjmclnj/favorites?ref=si_fav
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pjmclnj
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008 08:51:11 PM »

Really good interview. Thanks. Lovely work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
virsaq07
It's nice to be IMPORTANT but it's MORE important to be NICE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008 08:30:02 AM »

great Interview....thx a lot...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you feel small and worthless, do something great - Help Someone in Need
visit me @
http://virsaq.etsy.com
http://indyacrafts.etsy.com
http://chez-vies.blogspot.com
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008 04:18:55 PM »

It's always nice to hear the back-story behind success.  Thanks for the insight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.bl ogspot.com
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008 11:46:41 PM »

What a great interview! I am really looking forward to more of these. It's so great to get to know some of the big names here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crystalmage1234
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008 04:43:27 PM »

I'll admit I had to crawl out from under my non-crafty rock.

Another good method of promoting your crafty stuff can be writing articles and submitting them to article directories. I have 1 article I wrote getting 3000+ hits per month in it's first month. (NOTE that's not average results. That's extremely exceptional.) Most other articles get only 100 hits in a couple months. My site get about 1 out of every 5 visitors to my article so it can really boost the traffic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get a Super-Strong Core With Easy Squats and Sit-Ups
Try a Side-Hand Plank to Get Long and Lean
Get Amazing Arms Using Water Bottles Instead of Weights!
Get Your Heart Racing With Three Kinds of Jumping Jacks
The Sneaky Way to Get Toned Arms!
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...