A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beautiful pattern, gorgeous yarn, now what?!  (Read 494 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beastie
« on: April 12, 2008 05:10:42 AM »

I found this 1978 pattern for a hoodie in a charity shop for 2p - bargain! I get easily distracted from knitting projects by shinier yarn and fun stuffies, so I knew making the sweater would be a stupid idea, but I really wanted to see if I could do the lace-y leaf panel down the middle. So I did. Now what the heck do I do with it?!

My mum really likes it, and I was thinking of making it into a cushion or something for her, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Because the 'background' is reverse stocking stich, it curls inwards quite a lot and I don't want this to ruin the leaf panel. Also, part of the leaf pattern is little 'holes' and I don't really want to have the cushion poking through. I thought of maybe casting it off, sewing the panel onto  some nice fabric and then using the whole thing as a cushion cover. But I'm rubbish at sewing and I don't really want to ask my mum to help me make her present!

Any ideas? Should I throw away the idea of making it a cushion entirely, maybe make it a bag? Would blocking it with starch stop it curling? Argh!

Here's what I have so far. It's much more of a spring green than this shows, but it's pretty dark in here. Stupid Suffolk.

Not very clear, but here's a shot of the original pattern. I bet she had a bike with a wire basket and a best friend called Jonty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i could be your teenage jenny agutter, swimming naked in a pond

________

ravelry &
LJ &
last.fm
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008 05:21:35 AM »

If you're going to use it as a bag or cushion cover, make a border -- pick up stitches along the 3 other sides (you'll have to experiment to see how many on the curling sides - too many and it won't lay flat, too few and it'll look stretched out) And then do 4-5 cm (2") worth of garter stitch or seed stitch or something else that mixes knits & purls more or less evenly, or however much you need to get it lay (close to) flat.

Instead of sewing the panel to fabric and then stuffing it for a cushion - what if you sewed some fabric to a plain cushion and then covered the cushion with the panel? The sewing won't show that way. Keep it a light color so the lacy design on the leaf shows up

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008 08:36:57 AM »

I remember my mom making that pattern... yes in 1978!  Grin

You did a very nice job on it!  My first thought was that you were making a scarf until I read your comments. I agree with the previous poster about turning it into a pillow or as part of a bag. What else could you do with that? Make a sampler afghan? My mom (a big time knitter and crocheter) always made squares of various patterns and then she would join them into a bedspread, afghan, or even baby blankets.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
Avian Flight
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008 12:00:35 PM »

it would look great as a cushion! do a poster 1 said. I would even use a nice contrasting color on the two sides. Then make the back, stitch the whole thing together (except for one side) and put it over a pillow form you can buy at the store. No sewing involved and no fluff peaking through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Tephra
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008 04:01:47 PM »

Cheat. Find a coordinating color cushion pre-made, preferably one with a corded edge. It can be darker than your yarn, but if you want something lighter to show off the lace just find a piece of lighter fabric to put under your knitting. Sew the lighter fabric to one side of your cushion in the area where the lacy part will be, since this will be covered by your knitting don't worry about your sewing skills too much.

Then finish up your knitting so it will be the same size as the side of the cushion. I'd continue the leaf strip until it was the right length and bind off, then pick up on either side and knit it out to the right width. Don't worry about curling since you're going to attach it to the cushion. Then, carefully, sew it down with your stitches in the "ditch" where the cording attaches to the pillow. Be as neat as possible and get the stitches deep down in that ditch (use a curved needle, it will be easier). Once you are done a bit of fluffing should make the cording hide any oopsies with your sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Animated Logo - Motion 3
How to Do Advanced Compositing - Shake 4.1
How to Do Advanced Tracking - Shake 4.1
How to Create Heat Displacement - Shake 4.1
How to Create an Animation - SideFX Houdini
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...