A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Ideas Needed for 50th B'day book!  (Read 1771 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 12, 2008 09:59:22 AM »

OK, my trusty Craftster pals....I need your collective brains and crafty powers to help me! 

I bought a little address book at the Dollar Store to modify and use at my sister's 50th birthday party as a guest / memory book. 

It has a hard cover and a multiple ring binder (like a traditional 3 ring binder) so I can remove the pages.
The inside....(with the pages that came with it)

The outside....(soon to be recovered, but it's still pretty cute so I had to show it!)

I plan on recovering the book with paper that matches the theme of the party (Tiki Hut/Luau - lame, I know), but I'm at loss as to what to include on the new pages to make for the book! 

Here's what I would like to do: Have a place for each guest to sign their names and then a place for them to write something (hopefully nice) about my sister.  But what do I call that section? Favorite memory of the birthday girl? Something funny?

Help! We're trying to keep this party on the light side and forego the traditional black balloons over the hill route.  She's had a pretty difficult time lately and we just want her to have fun!

Any ideas or suggestions will be soooooooo greatly appreciated!!! Thanks bunches!!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008 05:30:34 PM by rboecler » THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
Patti M

Formerly known as pjmclnj!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008 11:22:15 AM »

On pages framed with tiki gods, palm trees, monkeys, etc... leave the center (large enough space for writing) of each page open and call it "Tiki Tales" or something that includes your sister's name- like "Patti's Place" or whatever. Have a few friends, or family members, you have given instructions to start the book off with their recollections so the rest of the guests have an idea of what to put in the book. Include some captioned photos from her past and she'll love the results I am sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Favorites-http://www.etsy.com/people/pjmclnj/favorites?ref=si_fav
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pjmclnj
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008 11:28:44 AM »

If you give the pages to the participants ahead of time they can glue pics or write stories or draw pics. One page for each person or family. Then they can enjoy the party rather than worry about what to write. Have lots of extra sheets at the party just in case. I would use card stock. You could preprint something like the previous suggestion to start them off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
robynsteiner

Fo Shizzle, yo...

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008 05:30:00 PM »

On pages framed with tiki gods, palm trees, monkeys, etc... leave the center (large enough space for writing) of each page open and call it "Tiki Tales" or something that includes your sister's name- like "Patti's Place" or whatever. Have a few friends, or family members, you have given instructions to start the book off with their recollections so the rest of the guests have an idea of what to put in the book. Include some captioned photos from her past and she'll love the results I am sure.
Thanks for the suggestion! I have been collecting tiki/tropical photoshop brushes to do that very thing! I think it will be a nice momento and I know she will love it.  I was thinking of using these beauties by crafty_dame as inspiration:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j121/nightvixen23/swap028-1.jpg

If you give the pages to the participants ahead of time they can glue pics or write stories or draw pics. One page for each person or family. Then they can enjoy the party rather than worry about what to write. Have lots of extra sheets at the party just in case. I would use card stock. You could preprint something like the previous suggestion to start them off.
This was a last minute thing, so no time to distribute before the party!  I've gotta churn that thing out by Friday, so I'd better get crack-a-lackin'!

I'll post the end result. Thanks again for the help and use of your brain powers! Wish me luck....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008 05:53:59 PM by rboecler » THIS ROCKS   Logged

robynsteiner

Fo Shizzle, yo...

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008 07:39:23 PM »

OK - What I decided to do was to print cards that party guests could fill out while milling about. The completed cards go in a very cute wicker/rattan box that I found for cheap.  After the party, I plan on assembling the cards plus pictures from the party into a memory book for my sister.  It will fit inside the box, so she can display it and it won't scream "BIRTHDAY PARTY".  Here's what the cards look like - they're approx. 8 x 5. 

The cards....

I did them in Photoshop - and I'm still working all that business out! I'm not really satisfied with the top section.

Suggestions on what I can do to make them not quite so vanilla would be great!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008 08:31:20 PM »

Are you old enough to remember Hawaii 5-0?
At some point you could add some color markers or glitter stuff. Maybe have some supplies sitting on the table for the adults to play?
How about having them tell their story at the party? Take their pic with her while they tell their story. Kinda like a roast of the birthday girl. Or a luau? I started to say pig roast but decided that might come off wrong...
She is one very lucky sister. In case she didn't know that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarm0mma
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008 08:35:41 PM »

You could always put a saucy hula girl pinup on the pages or a little graphic of greg brady with the cursed tiki. Personally I like the scene on the surf board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.- Steven Wright
robynsteiner

Fo Shizzle, yo...

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008 08:50:13 PM »

Are you old enough to remember Hawaii 5-0?
At some point you could add some color markers or glitter stuff. Maybe have some supplies sitting on the table for the adults to play?
How about having them tell their story at the party? Take their pic with her while they tell their story. Kinda like a roast of the birthday girl. Or a luau? I started to say pig roast but decided that might come off wrong...
She is one very lucky sister. In case she didn't know that.

Yes, I am indeed old enough to remember that! I was little bitty at the time, but I would put on my bitsy bathing suit, get a blanket and lie in front of the TV when it came on! Yes, I was a dork then - still a dork now!

My sister's had a rough time lately, so I decided to spare her the black balloons treatment and keep things light.  The theme is Tiki/Luau - hence the little tiki heads on the cards. We have a tropical back drop, so we (and by we, I totally mean ME!) will be taking real pictures along with the candids. I'm sure she'll get roasted some anyway - she's got some rowdy friends!

I can probably spice things up a bit when I put the book together.  I've got some colorful papers and with all the decorations and leis, the pics will have alot of color, too.

Thanks for your input. Your comments made my day! Feel free to give me more suggestions!

You could always put a saucy hula girl pinup on the pages or a little graphic of greg brady with the cursed tiki. Personally I like the scene on the surf board.

OMG - I love the Greg Brady thing! My sister would crap her pants if I reminded her about that darned cursed tiki! The hula girl is a good idea....I'll see what I can find! Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008 09:13:50 PM »

Yes, I am indeed old enough to remember that! I was little bitty at the time, but I would put on my bitsy bathing suit, get a blanket and lie in front of the TV when it came on! Yes, I was a dork then - still a dork now!

My sister's had a rough time lately, so I decided to spare her the black balloons treatment and keep things light.  The theme is Tiki/Luau - hence the little tiki heads on the cards. We have a tropical back drop, so we (and by we, I totally mean ME!) will be taking real pictures along with the candids. I'm sure she'll get roasted some anyway - she's got some rowdy friends!

I can probably spice things up a bit when I put the book together.  I've got some colorful papers and with all the decorations and leis, the pics will have alot of color, too.

Thanks for your input. Your comments made my day! Feel free to give me more suggestions!

OMG - I love the Greg Brady thing! My sister would crap her pants if I reminded her about that darned cursed tiki! The hula girl is a good idea....I'll see what I can find! Thanks for your help!

If you have a pic of you in your swimsuit and all that would be fun.
I forgot about the needed lightness...
If you wanted to play a game you could have like a Hawaiian version of pin the tail on the donkey. If there are kids there you could have a pinata.

It sounds like you are going to have a great party and great fun. Hope to see some of the scrapbook.
I don't remember the cursed tiki. It sounds like fun. Maybe you could give her one to destroy. Symbolic of getting past the rough time she's been through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robynsteiner

Fo Shizzle, yo...

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008 09:29:45 PM »

I added a pinup girl at the bottom. What do you think? Should I axe the tiki heads at the top?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Express: Running Clips Backwards
Final Cut Studio: Sending Clips from FCP to Motion
Final Cut Studio: FCE and FCP Filters
Final Cut Studio: Sprocket Holes?
Final Cut Pro/Express: Travel Matte
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...