A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Giant Beach Bag -- navy blue waves with pink detailing, yay!  (Read 1814 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

betty_death
(it's pronounced "deeth")

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2008 09:25:59 AM »

Holy man, it's been a long time since I've posted a project!  Work has been stupid busy -- I hate having no time to craft, it's so much less fun Smiley

I'm visiting my parents in Florida next week, so I made this giant beach bag to take with me!  The fabric is from an Ikea pillowcase that used to adorn my couch until I got a new couch and it didn't match anymore Wink

I thought it looked like waves, so it was perfect for the beach! It's a heavy duty canvas fabric, and was actually fairly easy to work with, until I got to the straps. I had to hand-sew those because my machine just could not get through it. Sigh. What a pain! If anyone has any tips for sewing layers of tough fabrics, I'd really appreciate hearing them!

Anyway, on to the pics!
front (the back is the same, just minus the pocket):

It's seriously huge, ~18" square.  Yikes!

angle (this one shows the true colour):

inside (cute pink cherry blossom fabric! and a pouch I made for cash and sunglasses):

fabric close up:

What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

socalgirl

Momma by day...Crafter by night

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008 09:38:38 AM »

Love it, love it, love it! The color combo is awesome! Have fun at the beach!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amusedcreations
I just wanna craft and watch Antiques Roadshow

Random memory attack!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008 09:41:31 AM »

Very cute! I don't think I'm much help with the sewing part. Whenever I have to sew something thick, I just put in a sharp needle and then give it tons of gas. lol. Going fast seems to get it through faster... or snaps the tip. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erin33084

I'm just SEW happy!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008 10:02:00 AM »

That's really cute! Did you piece together the stripes, or is that just the fabric? And I love the pink trim on the pocket and the pink lining.

As for sewing thick fabrics, get yourself the toughest needle you can find...one especially for denim or canvas. And even with that, sometimes my machine is fickle. So I lower the needle into the fabric myself for the first stitch. It seems like once it gets through the first time, it goes more smoothly. And fast is good. If you go slow, it might never work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cutiepatootiebyerin.etsy.com

We can't wait to meet our baby boy, due in September!
YukinaKipling
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008 12:43:07 PM »

wow! it's super cute! love the little hint of pink on the outside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betty_death

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008 03:02:22 PM »

Yay, thanks, guys!
I'm hoping the weather in Florida is nicer than it is here in cold, rainy Toronto -- should be no problem Smiley

Very cute! I don't think I'm much help with the sewing part. Whenever I have to sew something thick, I just put in a sharp needle and then give it tons of gas. lol. Going fast seems to get it through faster... or snaps the tip. lol.

Yeah I noticed that too, that if I could really get the speed up, sewing through with my machine was much easier (well, I did break two needles on the bag...so maybe not *much* easier!). But on the handles, there just wasn't enough space.

Ooh, good idea, erin, I'll try doing the first stitch manually next time, hopefully that will work.

thanks so much for the tips, everyone!

I'm surprised how well the pink works with the navy. It's not a combo I would have thought of!

That's really cute! Did you piece together the stripes, or is that just the fabric?

Unfortunately I didn't piece together the stripes, that's just how the fabric was. I wish I was that talented! Maybe someday Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

madfishmonger
Mongering your fishes since 1999

Fish in a jester hat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008 06:17:41 PM »

Very nice, I love the fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.
-Oscar Wilde
betty_death

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008 07:47:20 AM »

thank you! When I bought the pillow at Ikea, I was delighted by the large, cool print, but at the same time slightly skeptical about being able to re-use it -- fortunately, it's so tough, it totally held up over the last 3 years, and still looked good enough to be transformed into this bag. Woohoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VALiant
YarnStormer

(formerly VeganPickles)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008 08:43:18 AM »

Cool! It looks like really tough fabric, and a very nice colour combo to boot! Great job!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to teach the world to knit!
wienersandbeans
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008 11:20:10 AM »

Ooh, it's so the perfect time of year to start thinking about giant beach bags! There's nothing I don't love about this bag, but I especially like the effect of rotating the wavy pattern on the pocket, and I love that little pink accent on the front.

How did it hold up on the beach?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Shirt Out of Paper
How to Make a Stitch
How to Make the Ribstitch
How to Lose a Stitch Properly
How to Make a Basket Weave Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...