A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dog rubbed raw by harness  (Read 2815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alacorn
« on: April 11, 2008 11:57:45 PM »

hey so my poor puppy is a boston terrier and his harness is rubbing all his fur off and turning his skin red. so i think i should make him a softer harness but what materials should i use to make it soft but sturdy? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008 01:41:38 AM »

Could you maybe line the harness with something soft -maybe felt?
How much time does he spend in the harness and does some movements give more of a friction burn than others?
You may have to look at where the harness is rubbing and then redesign a harness- not always easy but it can be done.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008 01:49:33 AM by kiewiet » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008 10:20:59 PM »

I wonder if it is a common prob with Bostons? My uncles had the same problem - think they made him a collar from sheepskin (fluffy side out) but I would probably first test it as a rug for the dog in case of allergies.
What about glueing some soft fakefur in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluecat
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008 02:35:44 AM »

Try not using a harness so much. What is your reason for leaving the harness on so long? Harnesses are not meant to be permanent collars. Unlike a collar, a harness hits at several points so when the dog runs and plays and moves in any way, it's going to rub a little bit, every single minute. A collar is just on the neck and doesn't go anywhere. Hence, less rubbing.

Leave a collar on the dog with his tags, then add the harness whenever you go out. There are collars available that are soft, or that are lined with that fluffy sheep stuff. If you don't want to buy one, you could buy a normal collar (leather or nylon) and glue a strip of fluffy sheep to the inside.

I don't know how well felt would work but I'd certainly try before I went out and bought fluffy sheep material, heh.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008 09:05:30 AM »

I second that!  I have two a cocker spaniel and a lab/golden retriver mix. (puppies) They need to walk or they dig and destroy. We as humans need to see dogs (occasionally!) as dogs not always with human emotions and behavior.  I tend to treat my dogs as my furry human counterpart....until they dig up a lovely plant I so lovingly planted and race around the yard with a root ball in mouth, leaping around as if it's the most "best toy evvvaaahhh!!!!"  anyhoo, walking helps that >LOL and to get ME off my butt!   Oh.....try putting a sheep skin (artificial) around the harness! make like a cuff ....like you see on seat belts see if that might help!! could be a fun project and hey if it works.....SELL IT!!!!!!!  good luck
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008 09:09:24 AM by SunflowerSmiles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
unmadehearts

unmade hearts and broken beds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008 07:50:05 PM »

My Austrailian Terrier has very senstitive skin and collars, harnesses, halti's everything rubbed his fur off very easily. I switched him to a higher quality food (innova is awesome) and got him a harness with fur on the inside so it didnt irritate him as much. I would try making him a fuzzy harness and just take it off while hes inside and while he is inside give him something to do. There are a ton of toys that are made to keep hyper breeds busy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008 08:09:52 PM »

kongs are really good for attention diversions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
amybarnett
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008 10:00:41 PM »

My husbands parents raised their dog on the Dog Whisperer theories and it is the best behaved dog ever. (she is high energy but they trained her to walk on the tredmill-and she loves it!!!) His books will do wonders for you i'm sure.

But back to craftiness-wool felt sounds scratchy to me. I was thinking of satin but then the collar could slip right off. hmm. what about just using a choke chain? its loose when he is running around free but you have control when you need it. And NO- they aren't cruel if you use them right. I have taken dog handling seminars before and they are usually preferred by trainers and the people at the humane society.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alacorn
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008 06:15:56 PM »

SunflowerSmiles
we have a kong. we use it. he has a sensitve stomach so we dont use it often (and yes i know you can just use regulare dog food but it falls out too fast).

amybarnett
I have used chokers on my other dogs (btw i used to breed and show) but toby is just a puppy and i dont think i should till he finishes growing. but once he gets older ill be sue to keep that in mind  Wink thanx

Souldier
my mom likes the harness and its not just for pulling. we use it so when we grab him by it it wont choke him or break bone (yes it does happen)

unmadehearts
i havent thought about changing foods  Wink thanx and what non-food toys would you recommend?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008 05:50:05 AM by EmilyFlew » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008 07:01:06 PM »

No worries!  Enjoy your pup!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sell Digital Scrapbooking Products
How to Save Money on Your Scrapbooking
How to Label and Identify Scrapbooking Albums
How to Get Started Scrapbooking
How to Create Background Paper for Digital Scrapbooking
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...