A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt backing - anyone ever used a sheet??  (Read 5749 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Patrick_Craftrick
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008 01:19:09 PM »

The thing about sheets is that some of them are tightly woven and can cause your needle to skip stitches.  This is one time when a low thread count is a good thing.

With that said, I have no problem using sheets as backing material.  I go to Goodwill when I need sheets for things like that or for other crafting projects in general.    They are cheep, well washed, and come in all sorts of variety. 

Plus, by buying secondhand you are recycling and supporting a good cause.  You can even use old blankets as batting if they are the right thickness. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ware the Sock-A-Zins!

http://potatocraft.etsy.com
Colorado Deb
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008 08:19:57 AM »

as for cheap batting......  I have used mattress pads as batting before.  Cheap to get, hold together well and are perfect for a knock around kid quilt that will be washed a bazillion times.  But mine are not heirloom, show off my ability quilts either, just a bit of love to wrap up in quilts. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.-  NuClia Waste
Linnybelle
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008 07:47:38 PM »

I used a sheet for the backing of my flamingo quilt, of which I cannot find a picture of the back, and tied it with embroidery floss and it's working out great.  I've had a few little rips in the back of the quilt, where the tie meets the sheet, but they aren't serious and haven't caused any problems.

As for the quilt books, I think they all recomand not using sheets because of the weave of the material. I think it's considered too tight.  I like using sheets though because I'm picky about having a distinct top and bottom and the sheet seam on the top makes it easy to find.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
cmoore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008 10:28:38 PM »

Sheets are okay provided you prewash and aren't hand quilting with the hope of getting a perfect 12 stitches per inch. The high thread count just makes it harder to quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharyn62
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008 10:35:36 PM »

It depends on the quilt and/or it's intended use. I have used sheets (from charity shops) many times when making charity quilts, rugs for  pets or things which will be dragged about,  used and loved to death.

I guess it depends nthe quality and cost put into the top which decides whether I will use a sheet on the back.

Sharyn62
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Prickly Venus
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008 09:26:44 AM »

for a tied quilt, it is no problem and probably better to use a sheet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lotte
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008 04:49:01 PM »

I have used sheets in the past as backing.  Cheaper quality sheets tend to be thinner and easier to quilt...  however they don't wear as well and bobble.

As a backing for quick quilts that I have made for the kids they are fine though
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aspenwall
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008 11:32:57 AM »

All the quilts I have made (for myself) have been used with sheets as the backing, I don't use new sheets, I use some that I'm tired of...so I don't have to worry about pre-washing them a million times.  You can get flat sheets on sale pretty cheap at a number of places, don't forget Ross and TJ Max.  I don't know about the machine thing because I only really hand quilt (I don't know how to do it on the machine so I only do my peicing on the machine).  Sometimes when I have extra sheet fabric I use it for the sashing etc and it's always turned out fine.  I've never had a needle issue.

BTW yours turned out great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Contribution of Recessions to Creativity
How Internet Ruins Graphic Designing
Milton Glaser on the I Love New York Logo
Comparing American and European 20th Century Design
The Relationship Between An Object and Its Creator
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...