A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
350 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Visual Journal By A Really Neat & Systematic Person (Pic OBESE) update p10  (Read 27393 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phebee
« on: April 10, 2008 09:30:44 AM »

Ok, so the reason for posting my inner thoughts and feelings for everyone to see is for two reasons.
1) I lost my journal a few weeks back and had to make a three hour round-trip to get it back. My first thought was, "Oh My Life, I've lost my journal", and my second thought was "Oh My Life, I never got to post it on Craftster!"

2) I am really neat and systematic person. (I'm the kind of person whoses 'Wreck This Journal' [by Keri Smith], looks as pristine as a brand new copy)  No matter how hard I try, I'm not expressive, and I cannot stick pictures in without them being cut in a perfect rectangle and stuck in at a perfect right angle. I hope this will inspire another neat person to start a visual journal.

Being neat is not wrong! (contrary to everything I've ever been taught at school by art teachers..)

So here it goes. I shall start with some of my resources and the actual journal (as that's probably what you're after) is like the 5th picture down, so have a scoll.:

Here is my craft box. I keep everything in a box so that I can take it with me when I go home in the holidays from Uni. I wish I had a filing system for all my papers but nothing I've tried so far has worked. Please comment if you have any ideas, I would be very appreciative!

Another thing I wanted to share with everyone is this amazing set of paper. I bought it from Asda for 2.49! An absolute bargain. It's packaged for kids, but it's well worth the money.

This is another great resource. It's from http://applehead.typepad.com/appleseed/themed_pack/index.html It's crammed with photos, pages from books etc etc etc

And finally here are some of the pictures I've collected

Now, on to the journal. It's no way finished, and I'm not showing you all the pages Wink
I started it on Jan 1st 2008, so it's about 3 and a half months old.

Here's the front view.

And here's the side view. I re-bound it once with some spiral binding from another book but it's still not big enough. Is there anywhere you can buy binding?

This is the journal without it's cover. It says Cachet by Daler Rowney. I bought from WHSmith in the Christmas half-price sales, so it was reduced from 7.99 to 3.99. I nearly bought another but dad said "have you use the first one up yet", which I hadn't. But it's a good job as I've learned bookbinding since then.

As you may, or may not be able to see by this picture, my journal has suffered so wear and tear, and the cardboard is now showing through the book cloth...

So I sewed this cover over Easter. I used two fabrics as I couldn't find a bit of material big enough to do the whole thing.

As you can see, the fabric is folded over and sew at the edge to create to pockets. The front and back covers just slip into these pockets. I tend to make my sewing up as I go along, so I can't give you much mre detail. All I can say is it was really simple.

Here you can see the full pocket.

And this is the front. You shall have to excuse the blurriness of some of these photos. My camera batteries had started leaking so my camera was out of order. Dad's camera is weird.

And so we come to the first page. I hope you can see how my cover works now. The first page is not finished. It has the quote "If we don't show anyone, we are free to write anything." I think this is important, as sometimes even when writing my own personal journal, I avoid writing things because I think they might upset people or not make sense. but in the end we can write anything, because no one is going to read it but ourselves.

I've used wrapping paper from the present I got for my birthday. You can see where the sellotape has ripped the paper but I like it.

Ok, I have 5 CDs in my journal. Step 1 through to step 5. Step 1 I'm never going to listen to. The others go up in moods. Step 2 is depressing and Step 5 is a compilation of my favourite songs. I've written lines from each of the song on the CD itself, and made a pocket from tracing paper.

The background is made from sweet wrappers from my advent calendar at Christmas. The envelope doesn't use glue, it is just folded. Here's how to do it.

http://www.curbly.com/DIY-Maven/posts/680-How-to-Make-a-Folded-Paper-CD-Case

The beautiful flowers, believe it or not are confetti, from Paperchase. So much cheaper than buying stickers.

On the left, is my answers to an interview they always have in the magazine in the Guardian on a Saturday. Every week I read it i thought of what I might answer to the questions, so one day I cut the questions out and stuck them it. Some of the more personal questions are in the back part of the journal.

The background is some wrapping paper, again from Paperchase. I don't spend much money on things for my journal at all, but when I do it's usually in Paperchase.

A lot of my backgrounds are from either the Guardian magazine, or one of two magazines I bought at Christmas. They were women's magazines which I didn't read at all, I just cut out all the pictures!
This is a media and art page.

This is my second media and art page. As you may have noticed I got a whole lot of inspiration from:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194308.0
I'm sorry I can't give you all individual credit. And I hope no ones upset that I've use all of your ideas.

Here's some detail. I stamp the date throughout my journal with a self-inking date stamp I bought for 4.99 from WHSmith.

Here's my whole punch page. I do this when I just want to stop thinking for an hour or two. It's very therapeutic.

Here's the detail. This shows my borderline obsession for neatness!

This is another media and art page. I write down all the books I've read, CDs I've listened to, TV and films I've watched and art exhibitions I've been to. I've done another layer on this page of tissue paper (Paperchase) that lifts up.

Here's the spread. The page with the tent on if a what have I learned page. I found what have I learned really difficult and have stopped doing it for the moment, but it's really good to look back on.

Here you can see it lifted up. The stamp wouldn't work on her face as it was too shiny, hence the tissue paper.

This page is still a work in progress. You may be thinking, She's not that neat, here writing is slanty on this page, but only I know (and now you) that the picture is stuck there because I had a spelling mistake and I couldn't have it showing. This is one of the many pictures I've collected from
http://www.ffffound.com

See this is what happens when you live with people you don't like, you spend all your time in your room collecting pictures.

Another blurry, what have I learned.

Not so blurry.

Here's my weather page. Nicked from the what do you journal about discussion thread. This is a page I do every day, along with the media and art. That's all I can manage.

A work in progress, but one day they will all be clouds.

A stuck on cloud where January 24th should be. January 24th does not appear in my journal as it is the most depressing day of the year.

See, even my expressive art is neat!

My stick page. You'd never know how many stickers we throw away all the time, until you have a sticker page. You just keep seeing them on boxes, packets etc and think, "that will go on my sticker page".

I'm not happy with this page yet. One thing I've challenged myself to do with this journal is to not rip anything out. I've nearly managed it (i've only ripped 3 pages out) as all my past diaries, journals etc have been either ripped to shreds or burnt!

Here's the detail

Here's step four. The thing at the top is a fridge magnet I got free at fresher's fair. It says "Make me a exciting union of very fancy music" That was the best I could come up with, with the very limited number of words I had.

Directory of Beautiful Things. I couldn't keep this up everyday either. I did the collage first then wrote on it with biro (my ultimate resource - most of my a-level art was done in biro - I love it!)

"I have". I also have "I will" and "I am" pages (try not to laugh)

My first (and probably last) messy art. I used my fingers. I must have washed my hands about 50 times whilst doing it though. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this page.

It was originally a collage that went wrong and is covered in acrylics as part of my "don't rip it out, cover it up" philosophy.

Collage background....

... and secret pocket.

One of the first pages I did. My dress-forms page. I made outfits from magazines and wrote about them.

I think this is self-explanatory.

Testing watercolours. As you can see my skills are not great. But I cut it out and will use it as a background...

...also with secret pockets.

This is the first page I'm showing you after the 'point of no return'.

How to go on an adventures. I go on a lot of adventures on my own, and so thought I'd write it down. People don't seem to get them thought, they're like "you should go on you're own, you'll get hurt" or "but where are you going to?" If i knew where I was going it wouldn't be an adventure. But I continue anyway.

"Thing I Can Do To Stop Me From Going Insane" Page

My thought on catchphrases. One of the only pages with a whole lot of writing on. Notice the colouring outdie of the lines!

1)collage of bad things
2)business card pockets stapled on from a notepad i bought
3)envelope for my tags
4)tags

I like layers, especially when the content is not happy.

1)Photos from when i'm sad
2)tracing paper layer
3)personal questions from the interview.

That's it for now. I owe Craftster sooo much! Neat people should stand up and be counted.

(P.S. My new journal for 2009 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=303064.msg3465140#msg3465140)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009 03:11:31 AM by Phebee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008 09:50:42 AM »

Thank you so much for sharing this and of course you had to make the 3 hour drive to get it back!  I'd have gone to the other side of the planet rather than lose it!

I so love arty journals though I have yet to make one.  You certainly provide incentive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
captjaneway
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008 10:15:26 AM »

Cool. I'm really impressed and inspired, I've been trying to think of things like that to do with my journals but seemed to have a brain blockage but I think you have just unblocked it. I too am a very neat and visual person. Thanks for sharing that with us!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008 10:51:11 AM by captjaneway » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want to spoil a grouch's day, smile Smiley

Joy may be the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy Smiley
butofcourse
she's crafty!

Knit fast, die warm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008 10:16:20 AM »

that is so flippin' cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hahnasay
im awesome

OMG! IS THAT A DUCK?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008 10:23:38 AM »

that is so awesome, you have put so much work into it and im impressed.

i had started a book like this but i lost it and i was so upset! but now after seeing this, it makes me want to start all over.

thanks for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you may say im a dreamer, but im not the only one

Current Swaps:
Dinosaur Swap Rd2 - Awaiting Feedback
WWP Rd18 Ostara Swap - Awaiting Feedback
Once You Pop 2010 Springtime - Awaiting Feedback

Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hahnasay

Photography Website: http://shahnachristine.wordpress.c
mintbamboo
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008 10:26:35 AM »

Your journal is very inspiring and absolutely beautiful! I made my current journal two years ago this month with the intention of making it a journal-art hybrid type thing, but so far it hasn't really worked out  Cheesy. I just might have to have two at once, one specifically for therapeutic writing, and one for truely expressing myself. Thank you so much for sharing this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008 10:33:07 AM »

Thank you for sharing your journal to the depths you did!!!! It is so beautiful and really is inspiring. I used to journal every day and have all but stopped. I really am inspired by your details. I think I will get reacquainted with my journal tonight...and probably snag a few of your ideas. Cheesy

And so we come to the first page. I hope you can see how my cover works now. The first page is not finished. It has the quote "If we don't show anyone, we are free to write anything." I think this is important, as sometimes even when writing my own personal journal, I avoid writing things because I think they might upset people or not make sense. but in the end we can write anything, because no one is going to read it but ourselves.
You know, I think it is for that very reason that I've stopped journaling. I really need to fight through that and just get back to my journal!

Thank you again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
photojenn
Clothing Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008 10:36:20 AM »

Wow, this is awesome!  Thank you for sharing, you gave me a ton of ideas for my own journal  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joes_amy
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008 10:41:35 AM »

I really like the idea of this. I have actually done similar journals over the years, but moreso with poems and pictures that I liked and not necessarily personal things.

You are right about the stickers too. I have been keeping the stickers out of mailings/credit card offers/book club offers, etc., lately for just such a purpose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
curegreed
my little stitches

Everything stops for tea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008 10:43:46 AM »

This is the first thing I've seen on here in a long time that has made me want to click 'This Rocks!' (partly because i never ever use the expression 'This Rocks' as it makes me shudder inside)

But I hit it for you, you make scrapbooking seem cool.

PS I love the guardian.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Refine Edge in Photoshop
How to Use the Liquify Tool in Photoshop
Photoshop Makeup
Photoshop Curves Tutorial - Part 1
Easy Photo Frames and Borders in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...