A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilting Books?  (Read 1557 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FriendlyJas
« on: April 09, 2008 05:03:53 PM »

I would like to start quilting, but have no idea how to even start. I learn best from books. What quilting book do you think is best for a newbie like me? I would prefer to start with something more modern/contemporary, because then I'll get use out of my project. (I'm not very traditional.) What is your "can't-live-without" quilting book?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaledrina
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008 10:50:34 AM »

Invest an afternoon at your local library. Mine has an assortment of quilting books... Mine also is advertising a little sewing meeting for all things sewing (advice, bragging, etc).

Not finished with my first quilt yet but starting to think that I should have invested in a quilting class. Saves a lot of frustration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008 11:35:44 AM »

The library is a great place to start - you'll save money and try before you buy. . .      When I first started quilting, I learned a lot from Eleanor Burns's Quilt-in-a-day books, but they are fairly traditional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008 03:58:30 PM »

I just placed a bid on ebay for modern quilt book called "the modern quilting workshop" it looks pretty awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cealy
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008 05:19:46 AM »

I have three must haves:

1. (all time favourite) Quiltmakers magazine!
    -they have clear and step by step instructions with many different skill levels. I have 8 years worth now!

2. Big Block Quilts, I think its a McCalls publication, not sure though without going and looking.  Relatively easy quilts, few pieces, and large scale so they are done faster. Big thing when you are starting is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

3. Quilts and More, Better Homes publication.
    - all different skill levels, and lots of craft ideas as well, modern ideas and retro to boot!

These are what really got me started so I hope they help.
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_q_adams
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008 12:13:21 PM »

I agree with the previous poster about "The Modern Quilt Workshop", and would also recommend "Denyse Schmidt Quilts".  Both offer an approach that liberates you from the old-timey ways of doing things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quiltgrl
fabric addict

Faaaabulous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008 08:14:34 PM »

There are so many out there, ditto on going to the library. I am a class learner, and recommend a basic class at the local quilt shop to learn rotary cutting and the basics, then go from there. There is the Better Homes Complete Guide to Quilting that I have in my library, and the Encylopedia of Quilting, that I bought when Joanns had 40% off books. Everything else came from my library or second hand store. I am addicted to the magazines though....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shannahc
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008 08:51:47 AM »

I made my first quilt after learning from a book called "Quilting 101".  The patterns are mostly traditional, but i found it useful as a beginner because the instructions were clear, there were lots of pictures, and it was spiral-bound, so it lay flat as I was working.  For more contemporary patterns, I second the recommendation for The Modern Quilt Workshop; it has some stunning patterns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewHelpMe
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008 08:11:06 AM »

I agree with "Modern Quilt Workshop"--it's a GREAT book.  You can see a photo of the Marquee quilt I made out of that book here

Also, I like "40 Fabulous Quick Cut Quilts" by Evelyn Sloppy.  It's got some great quilts that look oh-so-complicated, yet are quite easy to assemble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FriendlyJas
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008 08:11:27 AM »

I just placed a bid on ebay for modern quilt book called "the modern quilting workshop" it looks pretty awesome!
I purchased The Modern Quilt Workshop. So far, I'm in love with the patterns. Now I guess we'll just have to see if I'm any good at this quilting thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Brown Gravy Recipe
Ham Salad and Sandwich Recipe
Homemade Egg McMuffin Recipe
Coney Island Barbecued Hot Dogs Recipe
Country Fried Potatoes with Onions Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...