A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with sock dolls! Ugh!!! Stuffing and embroidery of faces  (Read 526 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Senora Muertos

Viva Dia de los Muertos!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2008 01:52:11 PM »

Okay, so I took upon myself to try and do some sock dolls for an upcoming Plush show.  I have never done these before and being the crafty person that I am with unrealistic expectations I am running into all kinds of snags.

1.  What is it with fiberfill that makes it want to bunch up in the little socks and look like lumps?  How can I fix this?

2.  For embroidering details on the face using felt, buttons and embroider techniques.  The socks are proving harder to sew than I thought with the elastic give and all.  I have some fusible webbing, what if I cut out a piece just for the face and ironed it onto the inside of the sock.  Would it show up too much?  Would it make it easier to embroider?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MTFBWY!
You can never have enough glitter!
mamarose22
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008 11:44:47 AM »

Whenever using fiberfill. you should tear it into little pieces instead of pushing in a wad at a time. Some stuffings are very compact, so use a fluffy, springy type of stuffing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.wists.com/mamarose22
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008 08:57:34 PM »

First of all I'll address the problem with sewing the socks and the natural stretch that a knit fabric has. If sewing by machine, you will need to use a stretch stitch, or a very small zig zag. This kind of stitch will not break when you stuff. If sewing by hand, use a back stitch, not a running stitch.
 Second issue, is the fiber fill. There are different kinds of fiber fill. Some are meant for making stuffies, and others are meant for making pillows, quilts etc. Choose a good quality fiber fill, and stuff as tightly as you can without the stuffing stretching the sock, creating little holes. You can use a screwdriver to push the stuffing where you want it.
 Lastly, the problem with embroidery. I find it easier to embroider on the sock faces after they have been stuffed. You can thread your needle in such a way that there is no knot. Double over your thread, and put the two end pieces through the needle. Then Take your first stitch, not pulling the thread all the way through. Thread the needle through the loop created by the thread and pull taught. Now you're ready to embroider. When you've finished, take a couple of small stitches, put the thread into the stuffy and pull through the side or back of the head. Pull tight, and clip off so that the end of the thread disappears into the inside of the stuffy.

Also, when choosing the socks you're going to use, make sure they have a tight knit.

Using fusible web may make it easier to embroider, but will inhibit the stretch you need for the shape of the doll's head.

I hope this is the kind of help you were asking for. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gilowyn
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008 11:56:02 PM »

I have worked with different kinds of fills - my current favorite is high-quality bedding, which is way softer than the regular fiber fill. I get that 16kilo's at a time, though.

With either fill, I usually fluff it up/ pull it apart before putting it in. I actually work with large pieces when stuffing, not small ones.

I usually embroider when everything is stuffed but not closed yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 6/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 4/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 5/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 3/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 2/10
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...