A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cooking for my difficult boy... help??  (Read 608 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miffy
« on: April 09, 2008 10:57:49 AM »

Here's the situation:

My boyfriend and I live about 250 miles apart at the moment due to school, which is changing (for good!) in mid-May. Now... I'll be going home (where he is) just about every weekend until then. We're both engineering majors and I know the next four or five weeks are going to be super hard on him, so I want to start cooking him a meal on Friday nights.

He LOVES meat. His diet basically consists of 1/2 meat, 1/4 vegetables, 1/4 everything else. I'm vegetarian and I looooves me some carbs. I'm willing to make him a meal with meat (I haven't touched it in ten years, but I'm willing for this guy) because I'll just cook up some pasta and some tofu chicken to replace that part of my plate. And whatever it is... it's gotta be something that I can cook up quickly and easily, because this cooking's gonna be done after a day of classes followed by a five hour drive annnd while I'm fairly confident in my cooking skills (I come from a huuuge family tree of home ec teachers, dietitians, chefs, and swedish people that have all raised me right  Wink), i still haven't done a TON of cooking and I've never cooked meat at all.

Any help would be greatttlyyy appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CeraMom
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008 05:51:33 PM »

Hmmmmm.....

Steak is always a really easy one - a few minutes on each side to sear his, with a baked potato & some veggies. You could make YOURS a baked potato, veggies, and tofu - maybe topped with cheese?

Same with pork chops - coat them with thinned down maple syrup, bread them, and bake them off. Serve with rice & veggies. You could have the rice and veggies. The only problem with chops is they take around an hour in the oven.

You could do tacos too - fake the meat part for yours, or load up on beans, lettuce, tomato, and guacamole.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
miffy
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008 10:25:22 PM »

ooo I like the steak and tacos idea. He's not a big pork person anyway, mostly chicken, turkey, and beef. Thanks for the ideas! Especially tacos... I loveeee tacos and it totally slipped my mind! AND he's half hispanic! what an idiot I am sometimes LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LeesaLove
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008 07:45:07 AM »

Mini meatloves cook up prett quickly cook them in muffin pans or mini loaf pans. Make a big btch & freee so he cna cook them up when your not there.
Meat loaf, rice & vegg for him.   Rice, veg &tofu or not meat burger for you.

Chicken cutlets bake up fast too, season them wiht a blend of seasoings he wold like, lemon pepper & smidge of butter or oil, italion spices & a drizzle of balsamic vinigar, Frank red hot suace, parsely & butter (or smart balance is better for you),

I love brown rice with lots of veggies. I cook rice with veggie stock & water. cook rice steam a lot of veggies mix together serve on the side of a baked chicken cutlet.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008 08:05:23 AM »

It would be equally easy to do nachos (nachos here consist of tortilla chips, seasoned ground beef (brown ground beef, add taco seasoning mix and 3/4 cup water, simmer), refried beans (canned if you don't have a recipe), salsa, lettuce, cheese, and/or sour cream).

I also make chicken soft tacos by cooking chicken breast, shredding it with two forks, and adding salsa to taste. Serve on tortillas with your favorite taco stuff.  Fairly quick, easy, and you can adjust the heat by the kind of salsa you use.

DH likes boneless skinless chicken breasts pan fried (cooked all the way through, maybe 30 minutes over medium heat, turning every 10 minutes or so), then covered in marinara sauce, and topped with mozzarella cheese (I usually put the lid on the pan for about 5 minutes to help the cheese melt), and served over pasta (I usually use thin spaghetti).  It's kind of like chicken parmesan, but without the parmesan breading, and would work well with your tofu chicken/pasta.  

If you get thinner cuts of meat, it would cut down on the cooking time.   I've actually taken to flattening ground beef when I buy it (I buy larger packages and separate it out into gallon sized bags) so that if I forget to thaw it, it will still cook fairly quickly.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crochet for Beginners: Half Double Crochet Stitch
Crochet for Beginners: Double Crochet Stitch
Crochet for Beginners: Easy Ideas for Gifts
Crochet for Beginners: Crocheting in the Round
Crochet for Beginners: Chain Crochet Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...