A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anybody know anything about copyrighting a quilt?  (Read 1458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stargazersewer
Fat is not a 4 letter word.....

Oh, ma....let me sleep.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008 10:06:57 PM »

This is totally an empty threat.  But look at it this way, if she she has done this to you, she could do this to someone who doesn't have the knowledge/backup that you do and totally scare them away from quilting or whatever.  I would put my post back up, at least that way she doesn't think she won this one and bully other people. 
Shawna
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainylakechick
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008 10:34:49 AM »

I don't know anything about copyright law, but I can see that if she has a copyright to instructions FOR that quilt design, it might be against the law for you to ALSO write instructions to the same quilt design. 

I can't believe she "owns" the copyright to Bento Box!  That's a hot quilt design! 

Personally, I look at that pattern and its so simple to me, I could write a tutorial in two hours how to make it.  Of course, I might not be using the quickest, fastest, or use the most fabric-saving method.  Those tutorials are more patentable, aren't they, athenamat?  (Since you are specializing in patent law.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008 12:48:15 PM »

Smiley .......I understand.  I'm not in the profession.........I just was one of those kids whose dad's made sure I read and UNDERSTOOD what I was reading......... Grin .........the only time I've had a problem with this type of thing........was when I opened my salon..............seemed the former 'owner' thought I shouldn't use the name (which I made sure was included in a clause in the written agreement before signing the contract that he conveniently failed to remember........ Roll Eyes )..........I called his bluff........and he decided that since HE'D have to prove his case........it wouldn't be worth it to him......... (he'd "lost" his copy of the agreement..........I even offered him a copy from my lawyer's office that was notarized )   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008 01:04:48 PM »

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE! DO NOT RELY ON IT!

Quilt designs would almost certainly not be patentable.  There are two requirements for patents that would invalidate a patent -- (1) the invention must be useful -- quilt designs while pretty are not useful in the sense used in the patent statutes and (2) the Bento Box design, for example, is not novel -- it is an obvious combination of prior designs and I would be willing to bet it's not the first time that the design was ever created.

I agree that it is a very easy design to duplicate.  This is what I did.  I also made substantial changes in that I did my very own color combo which definitely changed the look.  After making the quilt, I figured out exactly how much fabric was needed, etc.

I certainly could not post her exact pattern (like a copy) and distribute that as per copywrite law.  She wasn't alleging that tho.  She argued that I couldn't post my own directions for that design because it was hers.  Honestly when she first emailed me I was completely surprised as I had never heard of copywriting a quilt.  Indeed you can and I wondered who had any experience with it.

Your salon story is a great example of why you have to keep all agreements and read them also before you sign them ;P

I also agree it would be worth standing up to her if she was trying to stop me from making the quilt.  She hasn't done this.  She was objecting to my posting the pattern that I wrote based on eyeballing her design.  If she had objected to me selling the quilt based on me eyeballing her design, that would be more like the situation you are afraid of.  Apparently this happened with the Baby Jane pattern.  I do not think that such a claim would prevail if you didn't use the pattern and would also probably not prevail if you did (but I am ignorant about that area of the law; would have to spend some serious time researching before I was certain).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
rainylakechick
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008 01:35:03 PM »

For patents, I meant that if you came up with an original or unique method to create a quilt, it could potentially be patentable.  Hard to do, since quilting has been around for so long, but possible. 

I've seen your bento box tutorial and I find the finished product much different than her design.  But you used the copyrighted name, thus making her point valid.  Unfortunate for the rest of us!  The tutorial would have been handy!  Smiley 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008 01:59:44 PM »

According to this.......you can't even copyright the name........... Wink

What can not be copyrighted?

You cannot copyright a thought or idea. You cannot copyright a technique or method. You cannot copyright a title, name, short phrases, or familiar symbols.

You may want to register for a copyright if you intend to publicly show your quilt on a regular basis

Registering your original quilt makes a public claim to the design. If your design is copied by someone, you still have certain rights even without officially registering it but you will have to register for a copyright before you can file an infringement suit.

My thing about all this is that if you used your OWN method,  fabrics ,  and technique ..........and DIDN'T post her instructions..........(as you OBVIOUSLY wouldn't since you "eyeballed" it and did your own thing)  ........then she shouldn't have grounds for copyright. 

Two things would have to be existent for her to prosecute:

1.  She would have had to actually register with the copyright office........

and the hardest:

2.  She'd have to PROVE you "infringed"..........

If your instructions and photos were unique to YOU ..........she would have a very hard time indeed proving that. 

I would think that if you posted that you saw this item......and attempted to recreate it..........there are NO grounds.  I've seen this same thing posted on most of the quilting sites that I've visited.........and ONE particular site that's VERY POPULAR. 

My guess is that she was "muscling" you............because your item MAY affect her sales........... Roll Eyes .............Her sales loss though is HER concern...........and it's "free enterprise" to create similar popular items..........otherwise we wouldn't have the important question of "Pepsi............or Coke?"
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
smudgycat
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008 10:20:48 PM »

It was an awesome tutorial.  Is there any way it could be resurrected as 'Fast Food Bag'?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008 10:58:29 PM »

smudgycat  - Yeah! Or "Bag It!" Lady! Or "entoBay oxBay" I know that's not enough... "Box Lunch"

Disclaimer: This is my understanding of how things work. Blah, blah, blah, lawyer-speak, blah, blah, blah.

I remember with tole painting that there was usually something in the book about making 10 reproductions or reproductions that weren't for sale. But they were teaching from the books in the classes.
I've also read references to "angel policy" with rubber stamps. So most of these ppl didn't want you making a lot of money. Just buy the book or the stamp and have some fun with gifts type of stuff. If someone has a distinct style with painting or rubber stamp and you copied it then you could have problems. Draw a cartoon mouse but don't name it Mickey or Minnie and careful with how you draw the ears and all.
With most quilting there isn't a much new or different, as some of you have said. I did not see your tutorial. But if you said I was inspired by "this" and used it as a jumping off point to create my own design, colorway, style... you would probably be ok. That happens a lot in art and crafting. Kansas City Star published lots of quilt designs. I pretty sure they don't own the designs but you would have to have their permission to reprint their article. You could say I used this pattern from the Kansas City Star to create this and here is how I did it...
Did you ask the Craftster ppl? They probably have a lawyer on retainer or should and it is their website and if they don't have a problem with it then why should we. If Craftster says it has to be removed they will probably tell you to do it or do it themselves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008 12:34:28 PM »

The website linked to above specifically says that you can't copyright a common quilt block, only the designs.  The "bento box" and others, like "Sudoku", which is nothing more than a nine-patch with a bit of a border between the blocks... they aren't unique and new.  They aren't copyrightable.  Even if she claims copyright, before she could even try to prove infringement, she'd have to first prove the tihngs were copyrightable, and I think she'd fall on her face there.

She has every right to claim copyright on HER written instructions.  But if the block itself is not copyrightable, then she has no rights at all to stop someone else from writing instructions for the same, or a similar, block.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008 03:13:11 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.
So as I understand it, athenamat and craftster were not in violation of any copyright and athenamat could repost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Earth Day Crafts for Kids
How to Make a Triangle Fold Room Card
How to Understand Crochet Stitch Counts
Gourd Farming for Art and Culture
Dainty Little Cocktail Dress
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...