A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More Lucky help: Sleeves?  (Read 1449 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

monstergirl
« on: June 20, 2005 06:13:26 PM »

I've mastered the lace pattern, knitted the fronts and back.

Now, I need to master the sleeves. I've seen multiple posts of people who have 'adjusted' the sleeves, so they are not bell-like, are longer/shorter, but CANNOT FIND ANYONE WHO'S POSTED THEIR CHANGES TO THE PATTERN. Well, I've found one adjustment for cap sleeves, but I can't wear cap sleeves (upper arms...sigh).

I've searched this site; I've searched the 2005 KAL; I've searched the SnB message boards; and I've looked at a couple dozen blogs of people who have made this sweater. No dice. I've struggled so long on this sweater (including re-knitting the right front **4** times), I really want to finish it up and be proud of all the effort I've put forth.

Anyone who's knit this pattern and changed the sleeves, would you mind posting the changes you've made? Or emailing me, or something? I'd really appreciate it!

TIA
peace
monstergirl
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005 06:16:38 PM by monstergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaby
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005 05:12:45 AM »

I'm in the process of knitting it, and changing odd bits as I go (including the sleeves). I've not finished it yet, though, so I can't promise how well this will work!
This is what I did to de-bell the sleeves, and make the numbers easier to keep track of (this is in the smallest size):

With smaller needles CO 66 stitches and work 6 rows in 1x1 rib.

Change to larger needles, and working in clover lace pattern INC 1 at each end every 24 rows 5 times (76 sts)

Work even in pattern until piece measures 17.5 inches from beginning
(or untill it's the length you want. Hold your sleeve-in progress to your armpit and see if it's long enough. If so, measure, and note it down so sleeve two matches, and get on with the raglan)

Raglan as per pattern..

This is how I figured it out (be brave- you can make your own changes!!)

I noticed that from CO there were 10 decreases. I didn't want to mess with the top of the arm, because I'm lazy (by the way, Melissa-designer has redone the numbers for the muscle, but I'm sure you know this as they're on the KAL site), so I decided I would just swap the decreases to increases, and subtracted 10 from the number of sts at the upper arm (76 for my size) to find the number of stitches to CO (66). I figured out how long 66st were, by multiplying them by my gauge, and checked I could fit that round my wrist (I can).
Then I decided I couldn't be bothered with remembering to do things every 21 and 22 rows, so changed them all to 24, so it would fall in the same place in the pattern repeat, and I can just count clovers to figure out where I am.

The other thing you could do is steal the sleeve measurements from a jumper you already have and like, multiply them by your gauge, and knit away. The beginning of the SNBN book has good instructions for doing this.

Be brave! You didn't need internet people to figure that out for you! You can do it!
The intro to the SNBN book can hold your hand (as can all us internet people) to get you started - Go Monstergirl Go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyersgurrl
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005 07:10:05 PM »

Here is the post I wrote on the Lucky KAL for those of you that can't find it or aren't involved.  Debbie still hasn't posted this correction yet - hope this helps!

Sleeve correction
General Posted by melissa @ 20:46
Hey guys,

Finally got around to doing the correction on the sleeve muscle tonight.  Got a forwarded email from Debbie last night with a desperate plea from one of you guys that you had been checking the knithappens.com site and had yet to see any corrections posted. 

Well, I finally got my lazy butt moving and did all the glorious math tonight.  I know alot of you are finished, but to those who haven't hit the sleeves yet - this is for you......(Debbie should be posting this soon, but just in case it takes her a little while)

Sleeves:

Pattern should say:

With smaller needles, CO 86(88, 89, 93, 97) sts.

Work 6 rows 1x1 rib.

Change to larger needles and working in clover lace patt, dec 1 st at each edge of every 25th(25th, 32nd, 32nd, 32nd) row 2( 2, 4, 4, 4) times, then every 26th( 26th, 0, 0, 0) row 3( 3, 0, 0, 0) times 76( 78, 81, 85, 89) sts.

Work even in pattern until piece measures 17 from beg.

Shape raglan cap:

BO 7 sts at beg of next 2 rows.

Dec 1 st at each edge of every 4th row 9(10, 14, 9, 9) times, then every 6th( 6th, 0, 6th, 6th) row 2( 2, 0, 4, 6) times.  BO remaining sts.

New final measurements for sleeve cuff opening: 13 (13 , 13 , 14, 15)

New final measurements for muscle: 11 (12, 12 , 13, 13 )

Hope this helps!

Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Introduction and Project Background
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Patch Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Create Textures and Patterns
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Healing and Fading
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - The Healing Brush and the Options Bar
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...