A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bunny Hat!  (Read 4916 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mackster
« on: January 27, 2005 07:55:03 AM »

I made a bunny hat for a friend's little girl who turned 1 on Saturday.  Cheesy

She was getting tired and fidgety when gift time came around, but I managed to snag a photo of the baby in her new hat.

Image is a little big, so click here for it!

The hat itself was pretty simple and fun. I used a mixture of acrylic and wool, and the short-row shaping, which I'd never done before, was pretty easy! I'd love to do more for friend's babies!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiewill

My beautiful baby girl

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005 09:01:31 AM »

I love it! I totally want to make this for my daughter but was put off by the price of the recommended yarn (I haven't had great luck with substituting based on price... things always end up a bit itchy) what did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
legallyblonde
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005 09:08:10 AM »

That is really cute! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goodkarma
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005 11:14:59 AM »

Mackster, it's so sweet. Did you change the pattern at all? The baby in the book looks like she's wearing a hat that's a bit too small (short?). Yours looks like it fits better. Maybe your friend's baby is just a smaller baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mackster
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005 12:36:39 PM »

Thanks, everyone!

goodkarma, the hat fit her perfectly, and my gauge was exactly the same as the book. I didn't alter the pattern at all.  Smiley

katiewill, I'm afraid I don't remember the brand of yarn I used, and can't find the label anywhere... However, it was 75% acrylic, and 25% wool, and the weight was identical to the book.

Baby baby baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joygoddess
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005 04:59:57 PM »

Wow, it looks even better on your friend's baby than the one in the book (shhhhhhhhhh, don't tell on me! That baby in the book is cute too, but I agree... the hat looked too small on her)... awesome job! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindsayanne
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005 05:02:12 PM »

Yay! I love it.... I want one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005 05:49:29 PM »

Nice work! I've been wanting to make one of these, must find baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
karidactyl
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005 01:18:26 AM »

ahh! can i have that baby? that is the cutest baby in the whole world! great job on the hat too, i think it turned out really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something poignant here.
jenrsmall
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005 02:00:15 PM »

Hey!  I'm the designer of that bunny hat pattern!  It is so cool to see the one you made!  Totally gratifying.

And btw, when I made the pattern I thought I was designing it for an infant, but when I had my son, I discovered it was too big for him.  Now he is 4 months old and it fits him perfectly (and his head is measuring in 50th percentile).  Of course, his is not pink.   Wink  I think the model they used is a bit older than that -- maybe almost a year old?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodkarma
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005 09:51:18 AM »

jenrsmall, I do love the pattern and it's so cool to see you here at this thread! It makes so much sense that the hat in the book is meant for a smaller baby's head. It's extra cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alicesonmarie
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005 09:54:12 AM »

i want one in my size!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenrsmall
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005 12:45:00 PM »

I saw that someone took the hat pattern for the "kittyville" hat from the first SnB book and used the bunny ears and face on it... if you want one in a grownup size.

I am almost finished with the bunny hat for my son.  It's in beige with cream ear insides, and carrots at the bottoms of the ties.  Will post pix when done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mackster
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005 06:22:35 AM »

jenrsmall, you rock for creating the cutest pattern evar.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenrsmall
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005 09:33:57 AM »

hee hee!  thanks!  i have been in a baby-hat explosion.  see others at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jenrsmall/my_photos
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alerievay
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005 11:10:53 AM »

Seeing these pics has inspired me to actually finish the one I'm making!  I finished knitting the hat, then knit the pink part of one ear, and it looked AWFUL.  I got so frustrated with that stupid ear that I stopped knitting it for awhile.  I think I did a bad job on my decreases, actually, so it's totally fixable. 

Thanks for the inspiration (and the adorable pattern)!  My friend's daughter will look gorgeous in this for Easter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenrsmall
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005 10:02:09 AM »

Those ear pieces look ridiculous until you block em and sew them up.

I finally finished my own bunny hat last night!  I can't believe how much finishing/sewing was involved.  Man, whoever wrote that pattern must have been into torture by finishing.  Wink

Here it is -- I added veggies.  One carrot and one radish/turnip/beet item.

And here's Alec in it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenrsmall
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005 10:03:50 AM »

Argh!  How do I get the pix to show up in the post?   Huh

Anyway here's the link:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jenrsmall/album?.dir=8474&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jenrsmall/my_photos
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alerievay
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005 11:19:09 AM »

Jen--that's fabulous!  I love the veggies!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MadelineFate
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005 10:58:26 AM »

Hi! This is my first post to Craftster, but I've been reading it off and on for a while. Anyway, I'm making this adorable hat for my best friend's new baby boy (in tan with pink ears) and I have one or two questions.

I've got all the knitting done, and I'm on to the finishing. I've never blocked anything before (I'm really good at getting around it) so how should I go about blocking the ears?  Also, I don't really feel like shelling out $10 for the yarn for the face, so what else could I embroider it with? Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

MF
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mickey McMickerson

ladies is pimps too

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005 04:41:12 AM »

I haven't made this hat, but I made a teddy bear once, and I just embroidered the face with the cheapest stuff I could find that wasn't itchy or ugly. Since it won't really be in contact with the baby's head you have a little more leeway, I would think. As for the blocking, I imagine you could just pin the piece to something (like foam or a pillow) in the shape that you want and then spray it with water. I'm sure someone who has actually made the hat will be able to tell you more precisely though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some of these mornings and it won't be long
You're gonna wake up calling me and I'll be gone
Ananas
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005 07:38:21 AM »

I just finished the bunny hat, sans bunny.

It's the same body, but with a little nub on top instead of bunny ears. It was a shower gift for my husband's cousin and everyone loved it.

There's a pic in my blog (link below, in signature).

The only question I have about the pattern is this: Is the back of the earflap bit supposed to stick out? It looks a little like a fireman's hat. Would blocking have fixed this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnfarmr
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2005 05:08:08 AM »

These posts have really helped me as I'm working on this hat...  Question for the designer....  Are the sizes pretty true?  Do you think the hat you knitting up for your son will fit him at 12 mos?  I'm knitting this hat up a commissioned project for a new baby in a friend's family.  This baby lives in Chicago was born a month or so ago... So basically I'm wondering if the hat is going to fit the baby's head when winter rolls around?  Should I make the bigger size, anyone???  The photos of the side view of the hat really helped me understand the construction!  Thanks, again.  Any feedback would be wonderful...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenrsmall
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2005 07:09:37 AM »

Hello yarnfarmer!

The smaller size in the book is a little big for a newborn and fit my son best at about 4 months old.  I have not test knitted the larger size (the pattern editor did the larger size), so I can't vouch for it, but I think for a 12-month-old you should do the larger.  I must say though that the wool-cotton has stretched quite a bit and the hat probably still fits my son now at 8-months.  If you want to do it as a 12 and up hat do the larger size.  If you want it to work for the fall I am sure the smaller size would be fine.

Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2005 09:59:07 AM »

my friend ellie saw this pattern in the book and insisted I make her an adult sized one for her birthday. I just followed the directions for the larger size but knitted it in bulkier yarn with 4.5mm needles and made any measurements given in inches bigger.
it looks pretty scary in black with a white face - i wouldn't make it in this colour combo for a baby but it was what ellie wanted so....
http://ysolda.me.uk/knitting/bunnyhat.jpg
(thats me not ellie wearing it by the by)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012 02:18:24 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Different Size Holes For Tree Skirts
How to Crochet Half Rainbow Borders
How to Crochet Leaves Part 1/6
How to Crochet for Beginners
How to Crochet Leaves Part 2/6
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...