A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,859
Currently Running With Scissors:
811 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first big project- Baby Blankie  (Read 804 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amymisha
« on: April 08, 2008 05:37:55 AM »

Inspired by the one in Doodle Stitching. That book has opened up the world of needlework to me....I'm so happy I picked it up.

This is my first biggish project, and it is my pride and joy!!! No sooner do I put the finishing touches on it, but I get an invitation to another baby shower!! The next shower's in July, so I have plenty of time. The next blankie will be all greens, and leafy images.

I am not the world's best seamstress, and a complete newbie to embroidery, but I like how it came out. I'm sure the baby will not mind any mistakes.

Well... here it is:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kleinsch
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008 06:03:53 AM »

Congratuations on your first project!  Your blanket looks lovely, and your embroidery look so sweet.  Way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more children are valued, the better their values will be.
supermedic
SUPERMEDIC

Live Love Laugh But Laugh the Most

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008 06:13:02 AM »

looks beautiful to me--can't tell your a newbie.  I have just recently decided to teach myself quilting and i am really inspired by your needlepoint on it.  I think I might be inspired a little more on my next quilting project thanks to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Purelectricity
It's electric.

I'm a paper bag in real life.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008 06:59:10 AM »

Ooo I love this!  This project is my favorite one in the book.  How long did it take you to finish?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amymisha
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008 07:06:37 AM »

Oh lord. It feels like ages. It went quite quickly at first, but once I got to all the tufting and those hundreds of hand knots it seemed to go on forever. Then, when I put the binding on, I kind of messed up, so I chain stitched around the entire perimeter, front and back to make it secure.

I started it about 3 weeks ago, but haven't been working on it non-stop. I did a lot of the embroidery at work... I work at the front desk of the local YMCA right now, and after 6pm it is dead, so I can do embroidery or whatever.

I'm going to try to keep better track of the time it takes me to make the next one. It would probably help if I could sew in a straight line! : ) But it's a pretty forgiving project.
A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dona Leonor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008 11:25:54 AM »

Girl !!! It's beautiful !!! Love it !!!  I have Doodle Stitching book as well.. and love all the projects in it. 
I think your stitching is great ! This is a wonderful baby shower gift !

Oh lord. It feels like ages. It went quite quickly at first, but once I got to all the tufting and those hundreds of hand knots it seemed to go on forever.

....I started it about 3 weeks ago, but haven't been working on it non-stop.

3 weeks !!!! Shocked  I thought you were going to say ... like 5 or 6 months or something like that... I am not that new at embroidering and a small project takes me a week and sometimes more . Make sure you keep a nice picture of this beautiful blanket before you present it as a gift , it sure is a great project for being your 1st baby blankie !!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008 11:27:50 AM by Doa Leonor » THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiekutthroat
one sassy southern crafter.. not for the easily offended

Thin line between adorable and appalling!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008 02:00:46 PM »

i think its really cute.. the birdies were a nice touch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008 07:19:59 PM »

Wow! That is so pretty! What a great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amymisha
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008 05:49:30 AM »

Girl !!! It's beautiful !!! Love it !!!  I have Doodle Stitching book as well.. and love all the projects in it. 
I think your stitching is great ! This is a wonderful baby shower gift !

3 weeks !!!! Shocked  I thought you were going to say ... like 5 or 6 months or something like that... I am not that new at embroidering and a small project takes me a week and sometimes more . Make sure you keep a nice picture of this beautiful blanket before you present it as a gift , it sure is a great project for being your 1st baby blankie !!!

It sometimes felt like 5 or 6 months. But it wasn't that bad. The sewing itself was pretty quick, and the blanket base went together super fast. Then all the embroidery I just did at work, so I did about 2 hours a night. Some stuff I did when I came home and vegged in front of the TV. It's been a long, cold winter, so I was really able to throw myself into it.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments. : )
Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cedarwaxwing
P is for Prue trampled flat in a brawl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008 01:55:54 PM »

This is so precious. Great job. I like how you have the one bird in a circle next to the other one. It looks almost like its being magnified.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Apple Crisp Recipe
Thin Mint Cookies & Cream Pie
Swedish Pancake Recipe
Peanut Butter Banana Dessert Recipe
Cupcake Decorating Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...