A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,363
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LED Necklaces??  (Read 610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ailurophile

Corduroy pillows - they're making headlines!

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2008 07:45:41 PM »

I long time ago, I remember getting a light up necklace as a reward for selling Girl Scout cookies. The magnetic clasp held the batteries and there was an LED in the middle of the necklace. The clear frosted plastic pendants were interchangeable and there was like a heart and a yin yang and other stuff. I don't remember clearly, but I think the LED was exposed when the pendant was removed.

That would be perfect for something I am trying to make, though I can't find anything like it! I figured Oriental Trading probably carried some, and they have something like it but from the pictures it looks like the LED is hidden inside a plastic silver ball, and the pendant is not meant to come off.

I thought if I just bought an LED, some wires, and some button batteries that I could be set but my dad tells me it's more complicated than that (I don't know why, though). I took apart a pen I have that has an LED in it and it has a chunky casing behind it that must hold something important to the function of the LED. It doesn't work for what I need, however. I wish I kept that cheapo necklace around lol. Anyway, does anybody know where I could find something similar to the LED necklace like the one I had years ago? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to leave this world like I came into it: screaming and covered in somebody else's blood.
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008 07:51:27 PM »

Here's how to make LED "throwies" using a LED, batteries, and tape.  You could probably use this in a necklace.

http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Throwies/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
ailurophile

Corduroy pillows - they're making headlines!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008 08:14:29 AM »

Thanks Jillie! I went to Radio Shack earlier and got some LEDs and button batteries, though I found the standard LEDs aren't quite bright enough in daylight. I had this pen with a really bright blue LED though I kinda killed it while taking it apart. Oh well, maybe I'll be able to find another bright LED somewhere. Wires are also a problem, though I'm working on some solutions for that. I honestly have no idea what I'm dong, so I do appreciate any advice. Thanks!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to leave this world like I came into it: screaming and covered in somebody else's blood.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Football
How to Sketch Chibi Hair
How to Draw a Strong Man
How to Do Graffiti Letters
How to Do Graffiti Colors
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...