A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Socks on 2 circs question....  (Read 365 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LHJ
« on: April 07, 2008 10:59:15 AM »

Okay, so I ordered a kit from Knitpicks that had Cat Bordhi's Book in it with 2 circs, and a hank of sock yarn. Now the first question is, in the book she refers to the sizes of the first sock as a "medium child, medium women, medium mens" sock. However, nowhere in the book is any reference made as to what defines a childs medium or a womens medium. I am thinking my size 10 feet are probably not in the "medium" definition. So how much do I cast on to make size socks for my size 10 feet? What about DHs size 13 feet?
I am in a quandry! Can anybody help?
I would like to make DD socks as her little foot would be much better to learn this new method with. She is 2.5yo, and wears a size 8 in toddler shoes. What do I cast on for that with typical fingering wt sock yarn?

HELP!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LHJ
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008 12:53:59 PM »

So nobody has made socks on 2 circulars? Or knows where I could find general sizing/cast on info for various sizes?   Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008 01:30:47 PM »

Okay, so I ordered a kit from Knitpicks that had Cat Bordhi's Book in it with 2 circs, and a hank of sock yarn. Now the first question is, in the book she refers to the sizes of the first sock as a "medium child, medium women, medium mens" sock. However, nowhere in the book is any reference made as to what defines a childs medium or a womens medium. I am thinking my size 10 feet are probably not in the "medium" definition. So how much do I cast on to make size socks for my size 10 feet? What about DHs size 13 feet?
I am in a quandry! Can anybody help?
I would like to make DD socks as her little foot would be much better to learn this new method with. She is 2.5yo, and wears a size 8 in toddler shoes. What do I cast on for that with typical fingering wt sock yarn?

HELP!

There's some math - how many inches (or cm) around does the sock need to be (A) and how many stitches per inch or cm (B) do you knit?  Then it's just A times B minus a few (5% or 10% depending how snug-fitting you want the sock)

And are you doing toe-up (so you need to figure the 'around the ball of foot' measurement first) or are doing cuff-down (so you need to figure the 'wherever the top of the sock will be' measurement first)

The A times B might match her medium size (I don't know her patterns or her sizing) - iif so, then the only difference is the length taht's just doing more or less rows than her pattern says.

If you're doing cuff-down, cast on the A times B number and do the ribbing, etc (I don't know her pattern). If you're doing toe-up, cast-on for the toe (how many depends on the toe style, it might be 8 or 30 or something else) and increase until you get the A times B number.

Personally, I think if you're doing a sock pattern for the first time, it'll be less frustrating to do one at a time and take good notes re stitch counts, number of rows,etc. Otherwise, you'll get 4-5" finished on both socks, realize it's not exactly the fit you want and have to frog both socks. If it's just one, it's not as painful to frog one sock. And imo, the 2nd sock is easier because you already know you need 35 rows with 60 stitches and go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LHJ
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008 03:31:32 PM »

THank you! That is exactly the kind of tips I was looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Festive Eggnog Cookies Recipe
Kicked-Up Holiday Sugar Cookies Recipe
Bunny Cake Recipe for Easter
How to Bake Brownies with a Bite
Crunchy and Sweet Honey-Hazelnut Treats Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...