A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,138
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is there any interest in a Poi swap?  (Read 1874 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sanity8080
« on: April 07, 2008 10:42:44 AM »

What is Poi?
Poi is a form of juggling, or object manipulation with balls on ropes, held in the hands and swung in various circular patterns, comparable to club-twirling. It originated with the Māori people of New Zealand (the word poi means "ball" in Māori). Women and men used it to increase flexibility, strength, and coordination. It developed into a traditional performance art practiced mostly by women. This art, in conjunction with others including waiata a ringa, haka and titi torea, make up the performance of kapa haka (Māori culture groups).

In Maori culture, the discipline of Poi developed into a traditional performance art practiced mostly by women. This art includes story-telling and singing, choreographed to poi routines. Therefore, Poi developed in conjunction with others disciplines including waiata a ringa, haka and titi torea, make up the performance of kapa haka (Māori culture groups).  Contemporary poi has built upon the Māori discipline and is now more a combination of spinning arts from around the world.

What do Poi look like?

Essentially poi look like a ball with a string or chain attached to one end and a handle opposite the ball and are usually used in a pair.

I like to make my own poi.  I thought there were a few people on here who may also be interested in making their own poi.  So I am trying to guage interest and see if we have enough people to do a swap, send a type of poi that you make to someone else, you know?

Also, I don't think I would be able to host it, as I have not completed any swaps yet....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008 10:52:49 AM by Sanity8080 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity, Working Mom to my Kindergarten Princess, and Loving Wife to Silver, the only man who completes my soul.

My Etsy Shop
noodlese
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008 10:57:05 AM »

Oh man, I would so be in. I just got my first set of fire poi for my birthday. I am so obsessed with poi.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sanity8080
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008 11:09:32 AM »

It's an addictive art.  My first set of poi were socks with tennis balls, which lasted until I finished my flags, and then I got my glow poi for my birthday, made a couple of other sets, and got my first wicks for christmas.  It is addictive, I will agree with you there...Now I'm just stuck on the idea of creative (if a little unconventional) sets....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity, Working Mom to my Kindergarten Princess, and Loving Wife to Silver, the only man who completes my soul.

My Etsy Shop
Jessica.Marie
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008 11:18:50 AM »

just so u know u have posted this in the wrong spot....

u need "new swap theme ideas"

right now you have it under "craft swaps" which would mean that it is already a swap
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessica Marie

yay i made a wist!!! http://www.wists.com/Jessica_Marie
Sanity8080
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008 11:24:30 AM »

thanks....I'll move it./
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Nven
Also known as Aeramel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008 11:46:27 AM »

I really love my poi!  I'd be interested in participating, later in the summer when things are less frantic.  Though with only one swap under my belt I don't think I qualify to organize.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps; offering knits for eco baby and mama items.
Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008 11:53:27 AM »

Oo, yes, I love poi. I have a few sets, but I've never made any yet! I'm not brilliant but I can do a fair few tricks. My enthusiasm makes up for my lack of skill *lol* I'm going to Goddess Camp at the end of August and there will some Fire poi workshops to take. I can't wait and it would be nice to have some handmade poi to take with me  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

becs88

a lady never reveals her underwear by mistake

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008 04:19:45 AM »

oooh i'd soo be up for this one! me and the bf love poi! I've never made any but would love to give it a try. I've nearly finished a set of 7 juggling balls for him. I originally made him 3...he then asked for 2 more and now he wants another 2!!  Grin
I saw a tutorial for devil sticks somewhere too...maybe we could swap for all kinds of circussy goodies?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity8080
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008 06:31:11 PM »

That could work....actually seems like a good idea...We could call it Circus Freak Swap or something like that....

Oh, I've successfully finished one swap and am in my second, so as soon as that one is finished, I can successfully organize this one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
becs88

a lady never reveals her underwear by mistake

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008 11:26:41 PM »

Yeah, that would be great!! getting excited now!  Grin

If you need a co-organiser i'd be happy to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Valentine Breakfast Ideas
How to Make the Perfect Short Rib Grilled Cheese Sandwich
How to Make Cinnamon Eggnog Oatmeal
How to Make a Mardi Gras King Cake
Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...