A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Sick of on-line shopping for Supplies  (Read 1599 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AbbyRP
« on: April 07, 2008 10:12:58 AM »

Hi!

I am a newbie to beauty and bath crafts, but since I began, I have been on a intense hunt to find an assortment of (cheap) plastic and glass bottles.   And since I am a nerd, I want to find a supplier to get labratory(sp? whatever)  to get used or surplus glass equipment for mixing and measuring.  (ok and maybe throw in a separating funnel and some copper tubing to see if I can make my own perfume.  I found an example in a kids book about the science of perfumes, and now I am obsessed with making a steam or alcohol distillation thing-a-majig.  I realize that there is a 99% chance that any resulting liquid will not be usable in any way and why, but it is so much fun to do it just because!!!!!  Meanwhile my husband is certain I am going to start a meth lab in our apartment)

Anyway, I found plenty of web stores addressing all my crafty needs, (my favorite being this one    www.sciplus.com  Hours of enjoyment) but I am impatient and want the retail experience dammit! Does anyone know of any stores in RI or Providence area where I can find either a supply store uniquely for this craft, or other tyes of supply stores (medical, lab, plumbing...I DON'T CARE!). where I can get said bottles, jars, lab equipment, and if I dare to dream, citric acid?  Do school's every try to get rid of their used stuff?  Does Brown U. ever try to sell their lab equipment?  Or even, does anyone know where I can buy soap or lotion bases?  An assortment of fragrances that are suitable for use on the skin?

I would give up if I thought I was being silly, but how can these stores (or ways of getting such odd supplies) not exist with 2 hospitals in providence alone, RISD (which by the way offers a summer class on making your own bath products), and Brown (which might stock their student labs w/a beaker or 2...or 300.)

Also, please don't even mention Whole Foods.  I spend way too much time there already looking for supplies that won't cost too much or are on sale.  The prices for the dark blue glass bottles are ridiculously high, as is (with a few exceptions) most of their merchandise.  Apparently, they are concerned with providing healthy and nutritious products only to people with enormous expendable incomes. On the other hand, if you have to watch your wallet, well then, you deserve the cancer you got from eating fruits and vegetables covered in pesticide.  Oooooh, makes me mad!!!)   

Any ideas would be great. 

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wendy-bird
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008 06:58:30 PM »

Haha! I have a thing against Whole Foods too! My bf's mom is OBSESSED with that and is always trying to get me to go there. Besides the fact that I live with my parents i.e., don't grocery shop anyways, lol! Job Lot is good enough for snacks.

Anyways, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but Christmas Tree Shop has tons of glass bottles and jars and things. They even had some fake vintage perfume bottles today, for pretty cheap.

Good Luck!
Alyssa  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dangerous suburbanite
the dangerpreneur

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008 11:22:21 AM »

I've seen small glass bottles and jars at AC Moore as well.  Of course, cost-effectiveness wise, you'd be better off ordering wholesale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drybrushing Techniques
Painting Texture and Detail with Fabric Brushes
Painting Stroke Work
Painting Foliage with an Angular Bristle Brush
How to Draw
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...