A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 305,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help first time knitter  (Read 584 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lera-star
what you really wanna know about Lera yupyup

if all craft is art, dose that make all art craft?

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2008 11:26:46 PM »

hi all ok. heres my problem. i've recently started knitting again after a long hiatus. first learned in grade four just picking up again long. so about 11 years. i'm getting into the swing of things and started off with makeing my boyfriend a scarf. manly cuz in the kit a got it was the first project and the colours were of a favorit team of him so it worked out that way.

anyways my question is i started to knit the scarf and i'm a good ways along but um....my scarf kinda looks like it exsploded. if you don't know what i mean here is the picture

literally the blue part is fine. the white boom. now the boyfriend has seen it and still says he loves how it's coming along (we live 4 hours apart in two different countries so i really want him to have somthing hand made and stuff) but HOW DO I FIX THE BOOM LOOKING PART? will it fix itself do i have to start from scrach dose it give caricter what?

so yah help? please? i'll give you a cookie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Esjay82
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008 11:46:59 PM »

aahh i see! Have u added more stitches by accident? or is the white yarn thicker than the blue?

almost everyones first projects aren't perfect so don't worry.. and he sounds like he'll like it even if it doesn't turn out perfect first time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lera-star

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008 12:05:58 AM »

ummm i don't think so. but the white yarn does seem a bit more...fluffy? it that the term for it. he saw it tonight at that astage and he said he loved it. last night when i was complaning about it he told me not to worrie and he thinks it's good. i'm just a bit of a perfectionst and i don't know what's wrong.

the more i look at it the more i see it strate on one side boom poof on the other. again if that makes sence. i swear i'm 21 really
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008 08:29:35 AM »

When you finish a knit row and turn, if your yarn is up over the top of the needle to the back, it pulls up the last stitch on the row you just did and it looks like 2. So you may be knitting into both legs of the stitch, but not the stitch iself. So move the yarn off to the side and you'll see the last stitch and where you knit into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Lera-star

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008 09:22:46 AM »

@_@ you mean i've been makeing more work for myself? wow i'm dumb.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fenn
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008 02:47:14 PM »

Ooh, I'm the absolutel DEVIL for doing that with the end stitch Shocked Grin

I've learnt the hard way that I really do have to check my stitches every couple of rows to make sure I haven't picked up some extras along the way  Roll Eyes

That said, if it's only the white bits that are bigger, then the white yarn might well just be thicker - you'd need to use two yarns of exactly the same weight to keep things even, I would think.

Not that I know - I've not long come back to knitting myself, I'm certainly no expert! But I am learning from my mistakes, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you go down to the woods today...

www.theuglyowl.blogspot.com
Lera-star

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008 04:46:55 PM »

it came in a kit so i would have hoped they were the same but i swear that they are different that the white one is thicker. IT'S DRIVING ME MADDD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
3DS Max 9 Tutorial - Blowing Up a Planet P.1
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.4
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.5
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.6
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Summer Hat
Hedgies!
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...