A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,141
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hats, Slippers, and Shrugs, oh my! (Image heavy, half thumbnails)  (Read 2672 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tephra
« on: April 06, 2008 08:05:04 PM »

To start, my favorite one:

I probably won't wear it closed like that, but for knitterly showing off, it's there. Blame the squint on the sun being in my face and the smirk on the photographer and feeling like a dork standing in the driveway for after work for a photo.

Yarn: Caron Kolor Match, a discontinued yarn from my stash
Needles: US 13 circular

Method:
1. Provisionally cast on for the center rectangle, knit in feather and fan until it was long enough.
2. Picked up the cast on and continued in the round, adding increasing pattern wedges between each pattern repeat until the stitch count doubled, bound off.
3. Tried it on, figured I made the rectangle a bit long, sewed up a couple inches of the armhole.
4. Tossed it in the washer with lots of softener and a prayer to the gods of old scratchy acrylic.

It's actually all soft and squishy now.  Grin

As per usual with me and feather and fan I forgot to take some of its nature into account and therefore cannot really recommend this method with this stitch. The cast on area has bubbles in the k2tog sections because of the change of direction. As a result there is a definitely "neck edge" on this shrug since the easiest way to deal with the bubbles is just to fold the collar back at that point.

Modified from Yarn Harlot's "An Unoriginal Hat" pattern. I made it to use up some bits of left over yarn and had just enough black (and had to frog an abandoned project to get enough of the gemstone.

Yarn: Caron Kolor Match (the small ball left from the shrug), and Red Heart Super Saver in gemstone ombre
Needles: US 13, 2 circulars

Modifications: I cast on 70 stitches (5 repeats) and worked row 14 from the chart, then rows 14-16, 1-16, 16, 16-19, one row of knitting the knits and purling the purls, 20, and a row of k2togs. I had just enough black for this or I would have made it about 4 rows longer.

Same pattern obviously.  Grin

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver "Aspen Print", double stranded from the two ends of the skein
Needles: US 11
Modifications: Cast on 70 stitches for 5 cable repeats in the round, added a round of k2togs at the end.

Four rows too long this time. If I make another (and I probably will next winter) I'll omit rows 6 and 8 from the chart.

My first sock-like objects. First short rows too.

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver "Gemstone" ombre
Needles: US 4 DPNs
Pattern: just winged it

I was over zealous in making sure the ankles wouldn't be too tight, but they fit and stay on so it's good enough.

My second Trinity Stitch Hat (pattern by BreadnBadger). And the front and "side" of the first in thumbnails.

1st photo, second hat:
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver "Monet" ombre
Needles: US 5 DPNs ("provisional tail" tubular cast on with #4 straights), US 8 circulars (2) and DPNs

Thumbnails:
Yarn: Bernat Super Value "Denim Ombre"
Needles: US 5 DPNs, US 8 circulars (2) and DPNs

Time line on these... well the slippers were my first non-scarf project after I resumed knitting this past summer. From my blog posts it seems I knitted them in September and October. The last thing knitted was the Aspen Unoriginal hat, I knit that this past Friday evening and Saturday. The shrug was an on and off project for January/February (a distraction from my still waiting to be frogged Cherie Amour). Hats are always my "leave by the PC and knit on them when I have time" projects.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hpy_sparrow
Grrrrr!

http://hpysparrow.wordpress.com/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008 09:36:07 PM »

Yah!!! You knitted a lot of fun things! I plan on knitting a shrug ....one day...if i can finish one of my 50,000 knitting projects...hum...

ANYWAYS! I notice you like the Secret Of NIHM!!!!! YAH!! One of my favorite cartoons! Yah for the 80's!!!

You NIHM You Knit You Rock!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

http://hpysparrow.wordpress.com/

http://myspace.com/Irisssssss
carmina1
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008 10:24:25 PM »

I love your shrug!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HalloweenNut
When goths get old...

Keeping Halloween in my heart year-round

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008 05:16:03 AM »

Wow - those are all really nice - you've been busy!!   Wink  The shrug is gorgeous in basic black (there's just something mystical about black lace), and I love the bluey-purple colorways in the hats and slippers - a color combination that's always a treat for the eyes...  Excellent stuff!!  ::thumbs up::
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creepy, kooky, mysterious, spooky, altogether ooky.
http://www.wists.com/HalloweenNut
Tephra
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008 07:34:59 PM »

Yah!!! You knitted a lot of fun things! I plan on knitting a shrug ....one day...if i can finish one of my 50,000 knitting projects...hum...

ANYWAYS! I notice you like the Secret Of NIHM!!!!! YAH!! One of my favorite cartoons! Yah for the 80's!!!

You NIHM You Knit You Rock!!!

50,000 knitting projects, that feels about right.  Cheesy

It's about time to rewatch The Secret of NIMH I think, and get some knitting done. Smiley

I love your shrug!  Smiley

Thank you! I didn't at first, because of that bubble thing, but the more times I put it on and play with it a bit the more I love it. Today I fastened it at the next set of YOs down so it had a more dramatic neckline and liked it even more.

Wow - those are all really nice - you've been busy!!   Wink  The shrug is gorgeous in basic black (there's just something mystical about black lace), and I love the bluey-purple colorways in the hats and slippers - a color combination that's always a treat for the eyes...  Excellent stuff!!  ::thumbs up::

I like knitting more than the photography, that's for sure, but it does mean I get project pile up when it comes to showing things off.  Grin

The shrug is the last black sweater I'm allowing myself for a while. I recently went through my sweater collection and found that most of them are black or blue. So my current WIP is purple (which, ironically, is my favorite color but I don't wear much of it).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joneab
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009 03:39:59 AM »

help!  how may stitches did you cast on?  i am getting uneasy about how many i cast on for the shrug.  you and i are about the same size...can you help?  i followed the equation:  shoulder (26) + 4inches then multiply by 4 (using 10.5 needles and i am getting 4 stitches per inch) then by 2.  my total was 208 for the rib.  yours is beautiful but since i am a novice knitter, i am hesitant in knitting something so elaborate.  again, lovely work...i hope you have some advice.  thanks.

andrea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009 09:25:43 AM »

help!  how may stitches did you cast on?  i am getting uneasy about how many i cast on for the shrug.  you and i are about the same size...can you help?  i followed the equation:  shoulder (26) + 4inches then multiply by 4 (using 10.5 needles and i am getting 4 stitches per inch) then by 2.  my total was 208 for the rib.  yours is beautiful but since i am a novice knitter, i am hesitant in knitting something so elaborate.  again, lovely work...i hope you have some advice.  thanks.

andrea

I can try. Smiley I knit mine sort of "center out" starting with a provisional cast on and knitting the back rectangle, then picking up the cast on stitches and knitting it in the round while increasing for the collar/fronts/hem. My gauge was about 3.5sts to the inch (lace is very very stretchy so measuring gauge is hard). I cast on 96 I think, which became 182 when I joined in the round (I decreased my selvedge stitches from the armholes out when I joined). So it was 368 when I bound off.

I don't think that helps you much. Knitting the circular shrug as originally designed (knit flat and seamed under the arms, in rib and mock rib) with your gauge I'd cast on 240, 26+4*4*2. I have a 54" bust (it was 56, I lost a bit of weight since I made my shrug) so I'd do the k2p2 rib for much longer if I wanted to be able to close the shrug. If you want to be able to close it I'd suggest holding the knitting needle at the side of your bra cup or the bottom of where you want your arm hole to be and seeing how much coverage you're getting with the ribbing. That's handy even if you don't want to close it actually. Smiley

After the decreases I'd knit 20" of the mock rib and "try on" the shrug. If you use a circular needle it's easy, just drape the needle across the back of your neck and see if you can touch the stitches on the needle to the decrease row under your arms on both sides. If you can do that comfortably it's long enough, if not, knit some more and try again. If you are knitting on straight needles you'll have to put the stitches on waste yarn to try it on.

Then just increase and do the ribbing until it matches the first half. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pregnantknitting
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009 10:43:07 AM »

Great stuff.  I love the trinity hat, I'm inspired to make one now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
40s Inspired Hairstyles at Carolina Herrera Fall 2013 Show
Summer Hair Care Tips For Moms
Cut Down Your Morning Routine With the Best Dry Shampoos
How To Blow Dry Your Bangs Like A Pro
Easy Braided Updo Tutorial: Summer Wedding Style
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...