A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fondant sculpting question ?  (Read 502 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweet_apple_pie
« on: April 06, 2008 10:04:42 AM »

i'm making my 5 y.o the dreaded cinderella cake.

i have no problem with the base ( dress bottom ) but i'm clueless as to what to do for the top portion. i do not want to use a doll's upper body, because 1) it's corny 2) the bottom will be way too big

so i need something to sculpt her upper body, it doesn't have to be so edible- i doubt anyone will eat it, but it HAS to be realistic and  most importantly her face. if i'm going to do this it will have to be done right.

what can i sculpt and paint that will not crush the cake base under it?

-------------

in the even that I forgo this cinderella fiasco, i was thinking of making her a sheet cake with a minnie mouse imaging, similar question- what is the best material to use, both background and actual painting, to paint a realistic looking artwork? gels are too thick and do not dry

thank you for any help you can offer
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiamatfire
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008 10:58:32 AM »

I can't help with the fondant/sculpting problem, but if you end up going with Minnie Mouse one of the best ways to infill is to use buttercream icing in a piping bag, and fill in a colouring book outline by piping small stars.

Check out the Wilton cake decorating site: http://www.wilton.com/decorating/noveltyshape.cfm.  Of course you don't need to use a shaped cake, you can just trace out a shape you like on a sheet cake.  You might be able to rent a shaped cake tin from a store as well.  Here almost all bulk-food type stores carry Wilton cake decorating supplies, and you can rent the shaped tins from them, as well as buy the icing colours (for this kind of decorating you will need the paste food colours to get the right tint without watering your icing down, or it won't pipe correctly).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
sweet_apple_pie
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008 04:42:44 PM »

thank you for your reply, i should have mentioned that i am very much against the star tip fill-ins.  Undecided i'm no help, i know.

i just want it to look realistic- or more artistic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008 09:22:54 AM »

Fondant is sculpt-able, but its shapes tend to be very round, and unless you are a very talented sculptstress, I'd be hesitant about the face.  (I made fondant roses and lillies for my wedding cake...the cake part looked horrible!  But the flowers were great!  To get the fine tips on the roses, I had to press each petal between my fingers, making it very thin...there were a lot of do-overs.)

As for the face cake, I know you can melt canned icing and paint with it really easily (inside a piped outline, for neatness' sake).  I'm assuming any butter-based icing would be the same.  Not sure about the Crisco-based ones.  I would lay out a smooth base coat of icing, then pipe the design, then fill with the melted icing (we always used soft-bristled brushes that were VERY clean...I'm assuming it'd work in a larger scale brush, or perhaps a foam brush?)

Good luck, either way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
efirechild

The love of my life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008 11:42:17 AM »

You could try something like sugar paste.  You can mold it like fondant but it dries harder and therefore you can get more detail and finer detail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook a Tomato Rasam
How to Cook Barbecued Thai Pork Satay
How to Cook Mussels Moiree
How to Make Asian-Style Chicken Noodle Soup
How to Prepare Indian Spiced Rice Salad
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...