A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Heart  (Read 4070 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aduaidh
procrastinator x100

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2005 04:46:10 PM »

Heart from Knitty.com:

And now I'm covered in white chenille fluff. As a semi-beginner, knitting this supposedly easy scarf in chenille was not such a smart move. I have two skeins left, and I won't be touching them any time soon.
Argh. Sleep.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005 04:47:54 PM by aduaidh » THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005 05:18:32 PM »

Yeah, I hate chenille, too... I tried to use it when I first started, and I hated the way it got all ratty when you frogged anything! 
The scarf looks AWESOME, though!  Really, really awesome... and much more comfortable in chenille!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005 06:00:12 PM »

The last time i was at my lys they told me to *felt* the chennile by throwing the binished peice in the wash to prevent the slubiness of it. Dont know if it works, but im tempted to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
pamplemousse
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005 10:08:45 AM »

I really love this scarf, you did a great job! Did the pattern cause you any trouble or was it just the yarn that drove you crazy? I'm a fairly new knitter (just over a year) and would like to try this out as my first venture into lace type patterns. Do you recommend it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm covered in bees!
aduaidh
procrastinator x100

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005 01:25:03 PM »

Thanks for the compliments! Grin
I'm scared to felt the scarf, because I don't want to lose the fluffy snow look the chenille gives it. But, if you do felt chenille, midnightsky, please post a picture!

pamplemousse- My problem was a lack of sleep and cheap chenille. The pattern is pretty easy, once you get the hang of it. It was actually my first lace-type pattern, and I really do recommend it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005 01:44:37 PM »

aduaidh --

What size needes/yarn did you use for this scarf? It's hard to tell how wide it is from your photos. The reason that I'm asking is that I just made a scarf using this pattern, but much smaller than recommended (I used a worsted weight on 8s... I think the pattern uses a bulky on #15s. Mind ended up being about 4" wide).

Did you have to block yours? This might be related to the smaller size that I made mine, but it's curling like nobody's business. I've blocked it "gently" once with decent results, but I clearly need to block it more aggressively to make it behave.

As for the new knitter (pamplemousse) asking about this pattern, this was my first foray into lace. I must admit, I had a more experienced knitting friend help me out to begin with and I definitely needed it. I don't usually knit projects where I have to pay careful attention, and I really had to pay attention to this pattern when I was doing it (no knitting in front of the tube). But it's not "hard" (and it's super cute!) I think I'm going to make it again in the recommended size. Smiley

Thanks in advance for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
aduaidh
procrastinator x100

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005 04:15:50 PM »

kaesea- I was using size 10 needles and bulky chenille yarn. It's about 4.5 inches wide and I did 13 repeats of the pattern instead of the pattern's 10 for extra length. I didn't bother to block mine, because I like the bumpy uneven look. I had no curling problems due to the chenille yarn (I think), but mine does have a tendency to fold itself in half when worn.
I wish I could help you with your scarf problem, but I'm pretty much a beginner myself. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keridiana
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005 09:16:42 PM »

Where's this pattern?  I love it!  I can't find it on the Knitty archives!  Can you share?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flapperjakk
I heart wool and sharp pointy sticks!

WoolyWooskie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005 04:16:38 AM »

OMG! this is awesome! I have this bright red chennille lying around that I have no idea what to do with... and would be perfect, what with valentine's day coming up and everything! A pattern would be luved by all! purty pleeese  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sure, I've got one of those knittin' blog thing-a-ma-jigs!
http://woolywooskie.blogspirit.com/
Mickey McMickerson

ladies is pimps too

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005 06:15:19 AM »

The pattern was in Knitty's special breast cancer awareness mini-issue, in pdf format. You can see it here: http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTsurpriseintro.html
I made this scarf too, and mine turned out super narrow as well because I used size seven needles and Paton's Classic Wool in red. It's still super cute though. It was my first attempt at lace knitting and I thought it went rather well! Definitely a good "first lace knitting" project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some of these mornings and it won't be long
You're gonna wake up calling me and I'll be gone
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jodi Picoult Talks About the Inspiration Behind House Rules
Trailer of Young Guns: A New Generation of Conservative Leaders
Louise the Big Cheese Book Trailer
Helen Mirren Talks About Her Book and Writing
Indu Sundaresan Talks About Her Novel Shadow Princess
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...