A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hair Powder/Dry Shampoo??  (Read 1277 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

youlittlerabbit
« on: April 05, 2008 04:00:53 PM »

Hi friends,

I am looking for recipes for making my own dry shampoo or hair powder to cut down on showers (I have super greasy hair and am trying to cut down on how often I shower- saving water, you know...).

Bumble & bumble makes what I'm told is a wonderful hair powder but it costs like 40 dollars for a few ounces, which is CRAZY! I want to make my own- preferably corn starch based (which I think is the main ingredient in the B&B version). I do not want to use talcum powder, as it can actually be very, very dangerous and carcinogenic to breathe in!!

Anyone have any experience with this?
(If not, I'd still like to know about any cheaper, organic alternatives to the bumble&bumble stuff.....)

Thanks! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Numi
Lazy Megalomaniac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008 09:18:33 PM »

You could mix ground oatmeal with cornstarch or any sort of grain with cornstarch. I also hear cornmeal is really good and adds a healthy shine. Honestly, I think it'd be best if you just experimented. Sure it'll cost you money and supplies the first time, but once you've found your mixture you'll be set. Everyone's hair is a little bit different, a little bit persnickety.

Although dry shampoos shouldn't replace regular shampoo altogether (it does nothing for buildup also your hair needs moisture or it'll frizz and otherwise revolt...) it's a decent quick fix. I used it when I had wool extensions and couldn't get the wool wet.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[...]
swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008 10:46:09 PM »

Looking at the ingredients: Corn (Zea Mays) Starch, Montmorillonite, Tapioca Starch, Oat Starch, Oat Flour, Silica, Fragrance (Parfum).  It does note that it may contain Iron Oxides (C177491)...this would be simple to make yourself.

If I were to make this, I'd start with corn starch, some arrowroot powder or one of the other starches, some fragrance, and clay (that montmorillonite is a type of clay, so green bentonite, fuller's earth, white kaolin, or washed blue organic clay would be good choices). Then I'd throw in a titch brown oxide to match my hair colour (I've tried straight corn starch and it gives my brown hair an ashy hue...). Get yourself a shaker bottle and try it out. You may have to tinker with percentages, but if you start with mostly corn starch, and throw in dibs and dabs of the other things (fragrance at 1% of your mixture), I think you'd be off to a great start.

As a secondary note, for shampoos and conditioners that I make, I use 2% essential oil for oily hair blend -- equal parts rosemary, sage, lemon, and cedarwood. I find this gets me an extra day between washings (and considering I have very thick, coarse, waist length hair that isn't dry by the end of the day, this is huge for me!) Perhaps adding something like that to this mix would be a good thing? Or adding it to your regular shampoo or conditioner?

Finally, check out this link for a comparison between this product and corn starch: http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip543.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
youlittlerabbit
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008 11:13:48 AM »

Looking at the ingredients: Corn (Zea Mays) Starch, Montmorillonite, Tapioca Starch, Oat Starch, Oat Flour, Silica, Fragrance (Parfum).  It does note that it may contain Iron Oxides (C177491)...this would be simple to make yourself.

If I were to make this, I'd start with corn starch, some arrowroot powder or one of the other starches, some fragrance, and clay (that montmorillonite is a type of clay, so green bentonite, fuller's earth, white kaolin, or washed blue organic clay would be good choices). Then I'd throw in a titch brown oxide to match my hair colour (I've tried straight corn starch and it gives my brown hair an ashy hue...). Get yourself a shaker bottle and try it out. You may have to tinker with percentages, but if you start with mostly corn starch, and throw in dibs and dabs of the other things (fragrance at 1% of your mixture), I think you'd be off to a great start.

As a secondary note, for shampoos and conditioners that I make, I use 2% essential oil for oily hair blend -- equal parts rosemary, sage, lemon, and cedarwood. I find this gets me an extra day between washings (and considering I have very thick, coarse, waist length hair that isn't dry by the end of the day, this is huge for me!) Perhaps adding something like that to this mix would be a good thing? Or adding it to your regular shampoo or conditioner?

Finally, check out this link for a comparison between this product and corn starch: http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip543.htm

Wow, thanks so much- that is really helpful!!! one question though, where do I find the clay and brown oxide??

Today did straight cornstarch, and it's ok, but i think it could definitely be improved upon!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008 06:00:09 PM »

I am not sure where you live, but I know of a few places to get these supplies...

If you're in Canada:
Voyageur is great: http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/store/shop.asp
Suds & Scents is new, but I know the owner and she's awesome: http://sudsandscents.com/
Or check this link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=87017.0;all

If you're in America:
Brambleberry is awesome: http://www.brambleberry.com/
or check the city guides for your town/state on craftster here and see what they can offer!

As a note, if you are ordering from Brambleberry, check out their fragrance oils. They have an amazing selection of amazing scents!

Hope this helps. Let me know what the final results are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
katyusha
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008 07:21:52 PM »

I too was wondering whether to try the B+B powder. Thanks for this thread.

Enjoyed the article comparing powders. I tried talc years ago, in the early '80's when we were "rediscovering" early '60's tricks like wearing moccasins and bathing in your new Levis. I never could brush it out enough for my brunette hair. The mica flakes weren't convincing as gray hair-- I just looked vaguely dirty. Lice-y dirty, not sexy dirty (and lice was this huge paranoia at the time).

I refused to try my mother's early '60's trick involving your hair, a few sheets of waxed paper, and a live iron.

My hair is wavy but very fine and sparse, oily scalp, and I've found that it's calmed with organic shampoo and only being wet and washed a few times a week. I also only use a comb, never a brush. I've done this for about a year, only washing 2-3 times a week and not at all on weekends, and my hair seems less oily and healthier. A lot less breaking since I stopped using brushes. Since I quit smoking and it's been banned basically everywhere, a single shampoo lasts a lot longer for me now.

I'm still going to try the cornstarch. Because I love experiments.

How great to hear about Psst again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b_stroke
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008 09:02:50 AM »

I make this stuff all the time its nothing specail, i use baby powder, corn starch, and baking soda. dash it on the scalp gently massage your head then comb/brush. works every time for me
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Other Dress Is A Toga
brokendove
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008 12:38:42 AM »

hello,

I have a recipe for a powdered shampoo on my website... though I haven not used it on a daily basis so I am not sure how good it would be for that.... I love my showers too much..sorry..  Smiley

http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1049

3 tbs cornstarch
1 tbs baby powder or scented perfume talcum powder (optional for scent)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Website is
http://www.Craftbits.com
http://www.Craftbits.com.au
& now www.craftgossip.com

Free & Funky Craft Projects
Step by Step instructions
Soap & Beauty Recipes
Knitting & Sewing Projects
and 1000's more projects
MeltnPour
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008 09:17:47 AM »

Slightly off topic
There are many shampoos which fix this problem in the first place. Aussie has an inexpensive one called Cleanse and Mend. It cuts the greasy scalp and moisturizes the hair. I had a moderate issue with oil and shampooing sometimes made it worse. The Aussie shampoo fixed in within 1 week! If Aussie isn't your type of shampoo, ask your salon about others.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use CMYK Color Channels in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With Lab Color Mode in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use RGB Color Channels in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Channels in Color in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With Channels Panel in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...