A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lap Quilts for All Swap (USA only) II: Summer [CLOSED]  (Read 23703 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 05, 2008 01:15:23 PM »

Here's our gallery!:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=240167.0

Here's the gallery of the Lap Quilts for All Swap I: Spring edition:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=231990.0

Swap name: Lap Quilts for All Swap (USA only) II: Summer
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: athenamat & audrey1999
Sign-up date range: 4/5-4/12
Date to send item by: 5/1 for fabric; 7/1 for blocks (read below)

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): Yes -- 12 people.  There must be exactly 12 people.  If there aren't 12 people by the time the swap is set to begin, I will extend the signup period.  Whenever there are 12 people I will close the signups.

*OR* there may be 24 people.  There must be exactly 24 people and then there will be two groups running simultaneously but you will only quilt for your group.  If we cannot make 24, the first 12 only will participate.

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? Yes -- U.S. only

All ages allowed? Or 18+?  18+

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: NO
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES -- there is already a co-organizer, Audrey1999.

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES

Details of swap:

There may be two groups of 12 and you'll only quilt for your group.

Each participant will choose/purchase the fabrics that she wants in her own quilt.  She will send out at least three different fabrics totaling at least 3/8 yard total to each other participant.  If you prewash your fabrics (most quilters do), prewash them before you send them.  The fabrics must be quilting cottons -- no velvet or knits.

No piece should be smaller than 8"x8" and you should send some lights and darks.  Remember, the fabric that you send out to people will be in your block.  Give the participants a range of fabrics to work with.  You may even want to send more fabric to be sure that the participants have the flexibility to use lots of different designs.

If you have any special requests, include a note when you mail out the fabrics (special requests include preference for traditional or non-traditional blocks, etc.  These requests do NOT have to be honored, but it's an additional chance to let your partners know what you are most interested in).  Be sure to include your name inside the package to help the receivers to keep them organized.

Send your fabrics inside a ziplock bag with your name written on it.  This will help everyone keep the fabrics straight.  It would also be helpful to include a return address label so it's easier for people to send the completed blocks back to you.

All the fabrics must be sent by 5/1.  You do not have to prove via DC that you shipped the fabrics; if the fabric gets lost in the mail, it is up to you to resend or you'll be short a block.

Each person will then receive 11 sets of fabric.

Using the fabrics sent by each person, you will make that person a quilt block that measures 12.5" x 12.5".  You'll send each of these blocks back the original person (along with any spare fabric that you did not use so the original person can use that for pieced sashing or additional blocks if s/he desires).

All completed blocks must be sent by 7/1.  You do not have to send with DC but you must at least keep the receipt to prove that you sent the package.

This gives you two months to make 11 blocks.  Since you don't have to quilt or piece the blocks together, this is totally doable.

When the swap is over, you will have received 11 blocks (and you should make yourself one) out of the fabrics of your choice!  You can piece them all together and add sashing/border and make a truly keepsake quilt.  Without sashing, the finished quilt size will be 36 x 48" (this is a lap quilt size; or you could use it as a baby quilt too).

PLEASE only join if you know how to quilt.  I know that joining swaps can be fun to try out new techniques but because you are working with someone else's fabric, you can't just purchase more if you make a mistake.  So please, be confident in your skills.  You don't have to be amazing but just be sure that you can pick a design and move forward without fear of messing up the fabric.

** This swap is communication heavy.  Please be prepared to send and receive a lot of messages.

Please: If something happens to snag you from sending, send late.  BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!  This swap ONLY works with full participation.  It will be difficult to get an angel as well.  So, please, think about the 12 quilts that will be unfinished if you do not finish.

I am limiting this swap to U.S. only so that the postage will be kept down.  It shouldn't be more than a couple of dollars to mail any of the packages.

Feedback will be given as soon as you send all your completed blocks and they are received.

If you want to participate, information to send to organizer: athenamat
audrey1999 will help with updating the status and keeping everyone on track over the summer.

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap
Craftster username
Email address
Your real name
Mailing address including the country

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

AFTER PEOPLE HAVE SIGNED UP AND BEEN APPROVED, LIST THE PARTICIPANTS HERE:

1. athenamat
2. audrey1999
3. Ezri_B
4. lourapalmr
5. thanate
6. mimiw
7. 1boy1girl1kitty2
8. lukenlarry
9. glittergirl94
10. kaishabackwards
11. Tsuki_Tsubasa
12. FlashleyAshley
13. ChristianTrekki
14. MissDisney
15. Grieney
16. sew~amy
17. stafishtaylz
18. ajanderson78
19. MeganLorraine
20. klum78
21. mimiw (both groups)
22. critterpants
23. 1boy1girl1kitty2 (both groups)
24. MissDisney (both groups)

PACKAGE TRACKING FOR GROUP 1:

COMPLETED BLOCKS:

SENT AND RECEIVED BY ALL GROUP 1
1boy1girl1kitty2 (feedback left) (and recieved all)
ChristianTrekki (and recieved all)
Tsuki_Tsubasa (and received all)
athenamat (feedback left) (and received all)
MissDisney (and received all) (feedback left)
glittergirl94 [and received all] (feedback left)
lourapalmr [and recieved all] (feedback left)
mimiw [and received all] (feedback left)
Stafishtaylz [and received all] (feedback left)
thanate [and received all]  (feedback left)
FlashleyAshley (feedback left) (and received all)
klum78 (feedback left) (and received all)

GROUP 2: CONTACT AUDREY1999

COMPLETED BLOCK TRACKING

MissDisney -- SENT TO ALL: received by all BUT mimiw

Ezri_B -- sent to mimw (received), 1boygirl1kitty2 (received), critterpants (received)

SENT AND RECEIVED BY ALL GROUP 2
critterpants (and received all)
ajanderson78 (and received all)
1boy1girl1kitty2 (feedback left) (and received all)
Grieney (feedback left)
MeganLorraine (feedback left) (and received all)
Audrey1999 (feedback left) [and received all]
sew~amy (feedback left) [and received all]
kaishabackwards (feedback left)
mimiw (feedback left)
lukenlarry (and received all)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008 05:01:07 PM by athenamat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008 01:28:38 PM »

i cant signup till i get some cleared spots, unfortunately, i may not get to participate (i HAVE to join the Juno swap, and i have one swap that wont be over till mid-may and the other wont be over till June..) i can try to replace the other round with this swap though

i hope, it was the most quilting fun i have had in a long time, cos each person's color palette was so unique
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
mimiw
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008 01:53:00 PM »

I have been admiring the gallery for this and I hope I am able to do it  Smiley  I am in the same boat, I need to free up a little space...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008 04:31:23 PM »

Isn't there a max of five swaps at once?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
mimiw
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008 05:11:16 PM »

Yup, but I am in 4 right now and am waiting for my 5th to be the over 30 swap at the end of the month...I am sending out for one on  Monday so I should have feedback soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LouraPalmr
Seamstress Of Hairspray Beauty Lounge

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008 06:47:24 PM »

i'm in again. can we include no knit fabric in this one. it was super hard to work with.Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008 06:55:06 PM by LouraPalmr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"no shirt, no shoes, no dice"

My Etsy - http://www.DevilDogCouture.etsy.com
thanate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

crafty alchemist (now, with tea!)

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008 06:56:46 PM »

Ok, this is too cool not to be in.  I may not ever get around to the quilting part (the only real quilting I've done was a pillow cover when I was in about 6th grade, and I've got the main panel of a picture quilt that's been waiting for a border for the past, um, 6 or 7 years...) but piecing I can definitely handle.  Smiley

Just sent my questionnaire. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008 07:02:09 PM »

Isn't there a max of five swaps at once?

lol, yea, but i am also in the Mother's day swap, and the tudors swap hasnt given feedback yet (when it does, im in for Juno)

im still holding out hope i will be in this round, i wanna use the blocks to make a throw for my living room
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Ezri_B
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008 07:03:27 PM »

Yipee, I signed up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008 07:08:48 PM »

Yeah, I specified quilting cottons only ;P

Great to have you all signing up so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Black Friday Beauty Deals
How To Make Your Own Face Mask At Home Using Yogurt, Honey And Grapes
How to Do Catwoman Halloween Makeup
How to Do Effie Trinket Halloween Makeup
How to Do a Checkboard Manicure
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...