A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,205
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: upside down cupcake wrapper (recycling, ruffles, and YOU)  (Read 4090 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 05, 2008 11:11:06 AM »

my fella says the skirt looks like an upside down cupcake wrapper. I haven't decided if I'll keep this yet, rock it in summer, swap it, give it away, I dunno. But here it is: my experiment in ruffles and recycling.

Dress buttons up the back with self-buttons (on the pink panel, at the top of the skirt I used tiny white buttons). Neckline is surplice (meaning that part of the navy crosses over the other side), and the straps are just long ties, so it's adjustable. SKirt is a basic A-line skirt, and then I put 4 gores (or triangles, with the wide part at the bottom) into it to give it more flare/room. The ruffles were all randomly pinned by hand - I had to sew ruffles on to the skirt one layer at a time.

there's one more pic below (of the back, which I'm quite happy with), so scroll down if you just want to see it. If you're curious, here's what it's made of (the recycled details), working by identifiable colour/section:

navy: WAS a beautiful silk twill button-up shirt that was my mother's and became mine. It was too short for my frame, but I loved how soft it was, so I wore it anyway. That's also why I couldn't give it up, even though I hadn't worn it in years. It is lined in silk, a dark tye-dye that was an old shirt of Cassidy's that he relinquished some time ago.

pink: WAS an FCUK shirt that I bought at Buffalo. It was a pullover, rather tight on the shoulders and too loose through the rest of the body, and (of course) too short for my frame. I bought it because I loved the fabric (the grey is delicate webby embroidery), and couldn't get rid of it for the same reason. I had enough fabric to line the back with the same, but in the front, I had to make do with something else. So the front is lined with orange linen, a large scrap left over from a skirt I made last summer ("solstice skirt" - it's posted on here somewhere).

skirt: now, you can't see it, but the structure under all the ruffles is baby-blue 100% cotton jersey, scraps leftover from a blouse I made a couple years ago.The blue ruffles are cotton voile that I dyed blue and used in a costume years ago. I retired the costume (also years ago) and cut the voile off for reuse. I tea-dyed it to tone down the blue. The brown ruffles ARE new fabric: a bit 3 oz thai silk chiffon that I tea-dyed with the blue to soften the colour. (Incidentally, the tea-dying was also a process of recycling/using what you have: I used the last half of a box of tea that I wasn't going to drink because something about it gave me headaches.) The ivory = a bit of nylon stretch mesh. Also new. Pretty much purchased for this kind of play/experimentation.

what do you think? I'm not sure what I'll do with this and would LOVE to have some feedback to help with the decision-making process!

cheers
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
burnedfire
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008 11:18:21 AM »

That is very cute and would be really great for spring/summer. Maybe with a soft brown top, you could rock it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugar-magnolia
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008 11:19:10 AM »

What should you do with it?  You should give it to me, of course!  Seriously, though, that is soooooo adorable.  I've gotta end this post because I can't wait any longer to click 'this rocks!'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A wist at last!  www.wists.com/sugar-magnolia

www.thehungersite.com 

www.freerice.com   <-- this is a really fun vocabulary game that gives rice to the hungry for every question you answer correctly
Solipsist87

I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008 11:20:14 AM »

I think its awesome! I esp like the combat boots you paired it with! I say rock it in the summer! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live!
-Bob Marley
tragiqcandy
I'm your new philosophy

Runs with scissors. In the dark.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008 11:25:50 AM »

Amazing amazing amazing! It looks so unique and the colours complement each other well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hannabear
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008 11:55:36 AM »

it's gorgeous, I love it! The style and colors are really cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poerava
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008 12:09:01 PM »

I say wear it 'til it falls apart or send it my way, I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Poerava
Please consider being a bone marrow/stem cell donor, you could help save a life. http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/index.html
I have vintage sewing pattern in various sizes available for trade. Also a vintage knitting booklet available. pm if intereste
soakedpoet
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008 02:28:23 PM »

That's absolutely gorgeous. I really like the colors! I think you should keep it since it fits you so well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training" - Anna Freud

blog / wists
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008 02:38:54 PM »

This completely Rocks ! I adore it and would totally wear it all the time !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

buckleup

Buckle up, buttercup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008 03:01:01 PM »

I really really love this dress, and you rock it well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photo Clam Ballheads Review
Kenko Lightmeters Review- KFM-1100 and KFM-2100
How to use the Photo Master Target
How to Edit a Composite Image
Cameron Hybrid Tripod and Photo Clam Ball Heads
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...