A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,461
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can y'all stand another twirly skirt? (Plus a few other dresses-- many pics)  (Read 3743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elvissatx
Bad Girl Upset By The Truth

Ruby, my smart fortwo cabriolet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008 06:45:52 AM »

Thanks, y'all!  You make me feel so good!

And yes, my niece is a real precious.  And she knows it and how to use that to her advantage.  Of course. 

To answer a couple of other questions-- the bottom two dresses are from patterns.  The first is McCall's 5772.  If I were making it again, I'd use bias tape rather than the binding process they had-- it was weird and bulky, and it seems like there are a couple potentially smarter ways to do things.  The second is Simplicity 3859.  I love that pattern-- it's super cute, really easy, has many variations, and many more that you can put together out of your own head, and includes a precious sun hat pattern.  I've actually made that one for her again, but I don't have pictures (waaaah!  especially since the second dress I did off it wasn't pink!).

There are seven fabrics in the twirly skirt.  I painstakingly cut them all into squares before I realized that I could have cut them into strips and sewed the strips together and then cut the strips the other direction.  Oops.  I also realized about halfway through that my fancy-schmancy new sewing machine has a stitch that seams and overcasts in the same step, so once I figured that one out, things went a bit faster.  The niece's favorite is the plain pink one that has glitter in it.  Her first reaction to the whole skirt was "Oooooh!  That one's sparkly!" 

And like vegbee says, the twirly skirts aren't hard-- they just take lots of patience to gather those long strips of cloth and pin them and sew them.  My hint is to mark every strip into 8ths at the top and bottom with water soluble marking pen.  That makes the ruffles much easier to gather evenly.  And the results are so worth the effort. 

Again, thanks!  I feel so good looking at all of your feedback!  It makes me want to go sewing for her again right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool!  I made the Best of 2009 twice!   Check 'em out! 

Yo-Yo Dress of Doom http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299010.0

Smart Santa Hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330595.0
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008 08:32:40 AM »

oh my! Gorgeous skirt. Everything looks terrific!! Beautiful fabrics. More importantly, what a lovely, lucky niece you have.

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
TheSleepyKnitter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008 10:47:01 AM »

"My hint is to mark every strip into 8ths at the top and bottom with water soluble marking pen.  That makes the ruffles much easier to gather evenly.  And the results are so worth the effort."

I'm new to sewing but would like to make this skirt for my daughter. Can you explain what you mean by the quote above, and also what you mean by sewing the squares into strips and then cutting them the other way?

Thanks! Love the skirt AND the niece! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adopting second "special needs" international baby, wanting cloth diapers to help cut expenses, will ===SWAP for cloth diapers===.
elvissatx
Bad Girl Upset By The Truth

Ruby, my smart fortwo cabriolet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008 12:33:46 PM »

"My hint is to mark every strip into 8ths at the top and bottom with water soluble marking pen.  That makes the ruffles much easier to gather evenly.  And the results are so worth the effort."

I'm new to sewing but would like to make this skirt for my daughter. Can you explain what you mean by the quote above, and also what you mean by sewing the squares into strips and then cutting them the other way?

Thanks! Love the skirt AND the niece! 

No problem!

Once I have a strip of squares sewn, I fold it into half, then half, and half again.  Then I use a marking pen (test to make sure it washes out completely before you write on your actual skirt!) and just put a 1/4" or so mark at the top and the bottom of each fold.  That gives you marked eighths.  Then, when you gather, the first thing you do is pin the marks at the top of the strip you're attaching to the marks at the bottom of the previous strip.  It's a lot like matching notches when you're sewing from a pattern.  It just helps you keep the amount of gathering even all around. It's not such a big deal for the first tier or two, but when you get to that last one that feels like it's a mile long, you'll be happy to have some guides for how your gathering should be distributed.

As to the sewing into strips thing-- when I made this strip, I had 7 piles of squares-- one of each fabric, and I just picked them up in order to make the patchwork.  What would have been more efficient would be to cut my fabric into long strips the width I wanted my patches to be and sew that together so I had a big stripey piece of material.  Then I could cut perpendicular to the stripes and end up with pre-made strips of patchwork.  All I would have had to do is stitch the ends together.  It's okay that you're cutting through your stitching because you'll sew over it all to keep it from ravelling when you sew to the other tiers or hem. 

If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to explain better, or make a few pictures that might help.

The skirt is so much fun to make!  I can't wait to see yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool!  I made the Best of 2009 twice!   Check 'em out! 

Yo-Yo Dress of Doom http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299010.0

Smart Santa Hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330595.0
Doodleabby
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008 03:13:10 PM »

Ya know I am not crazy about these skirts but this one is VERY WELL done!  I love the colors and the way they work together!  You did a great job with all of the other dresses too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happy Thoughts and Warm Hugs!
Bonnie

http://doodlebuggys.blogspot.com
atmomma
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008 03:15:15 PM »

SUPER cute! Don't you love sewing for her? I sew things for my nieces all the time and just love it when they call to say thank you because they are so excited. You did a great job on the twirly skirt. I really like the pink fabric combo but then again pink is my favorite color too.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSleepyKnitter
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008 03:16:34 PM »

Wow, that was a thorough and helpful response. Thank you so much for taking the time -- it makes sense now. Looking forward to making this great skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adopting second "special needs" international baby, wanting cloth diapers to help cut expenses, will ===SWAP for cloth diapers===.
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013 10:49:09 AM »

omg That should last her until HER kids wear it!!!  It is SO adorable!!!! I can't do tiered gathered skirts.  I made one for my mother when I was in college.  I just dont have the patience.  I L O V E them, but I can't make em.  So I appresiate your awesomeness all the more for it.  lol Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013 10:58:13 AM »

Your kid is stinking adorable.

and the clothes rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pamcake1323
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013 05:37:22 PM »

Those are so adorable and so is she! I love that you made her baby the matching dress  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Steps to a Fishtail Braid
Tips & Tricks to Mastering Sleek Hair
Get a Perfect Bun in 5 Minutes Flat
How to Get Perfectly Smooth Tresses
Create a Perfectly Polished Pony
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...