A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to make MARSHMALLOW FONDANT! (super pic-chunky!)  (Read 34821 times)
Tags for this thread: marshmallow , fondant , marshmallow_fondant , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

riverwatson
« on: April 04, 2008 02:55:27 PM »

So I was thinking about making a cake using fondant, which, in all of my cake-baking thus far I have been avoiding like the plague. It seemed really complex! But I then I found several fairly simple recipes for something called marshmallow fondant, which I had never heard of before. It seemed so simple! So I played with the proportions of things and made a beautiful cake! So I thought I'd share this super-sticky-fun cake-decorating confection with all of my fellow cake-happy craftsters...

HOW TO MAKE MARSHMALLOW FONDANT
...another fancy fully pictorial tutorial brought to you by river watson

First off- welcome to my kitchen. It is extremely small. This is my pot rack.

I heart my rachael ray pots and pans and my eyeball lights!

Anyway my kitchen isn't all sunshine and roses! This is all the counter space I have, so bear with me...

^ This is everything that you will need.
-(1) 2 lb bag of powdered sugar
-(1) lb bag of marshmallows (minis work well)
-(1) package of gel food coloring
-(1) can of vegetable shortening
-(2) big glass bowls (a glass bowl and a plastic bowl will also suffice)
-(2) tablespoons water
-a silicone spatula to mix with
- a roll of plastic wrap
- several sheets of wax paper
- a cutting board or clean counter top
- kitchen scissors
- a non-stick (or greased) rolling pin
-(1) completely frosted cake

This is a super cheap project if you are already equipped to bake cakes. Anyway, where do you begin?!

Step 1: PLOP ZAP STIR ZAP STIR
Melt the marshmallows. (Add 2 tbsps water to your marshmallows just to help them along.) You can pop them in the microwave or heat them up on the stove top as you would for rice krispie treats. However I am SO lazy and I was sort of pressed for time, so I put mine in the microwave.  Most recipes I read insisted that one would use mini marshmallows, but I used big ones because they were handy and I had no problems.

I used 1/2 lb, or about half the bag. I just PLOPPED them in a pyrex bowl, added a little water and ZAPPED them in the microwave, STIRRING every 30 seconds for 1 minute. That's ZAP STIR ZAP STIR. 

Many recipes called for 2 and a half minutes of zapping, stirring every 30 seconds. That may work in a double boiler but not in the microwave! So be very careful with your fluffy marshmallow goo. It can get very hot, however you melt it. Let's not burn ourselves, k?

Step 2: SPLOOGE FOLD FOLD FOLD *PSHEW* FOLD FOLD FOLD

Now that you have your fluffy melty goo all fluffy and melted... prepare another big mixing bowl with about 1/2 lb of powdered sugar in it. I patted out a little well in the sugar at the bottom of the bowl so that I could pour in the goo without it sticking to the sides.

Then I SPLOOGED the goo around the bowl with my spatula until it was evenly coated in sugar, forming a slightly-less-sticky ball of goo. Then I folded the sugar into the ball, then added more sugar and folded some more. Then I rolled up my sleeves, greased up my hands* with Crisco and got angry.

This part is SO FUN!

See? Just keep kneading and FOLDING and adding sugar until you reach the consistency you desire. Most recipes I saw called for 2 lbs sugar for every 1 lb marshmallow, but I wanted a shinier, thicker fondant, so I used less sugar. It was very pretty, but it was a little more difficult to work with, I think!

Also make note that your hands are warm and the warmer the fondant, the runnier it seems. So don't sugar it to death.

Once you're done showing your fondant who's boss... It's time to say good night.

Step 3: SWADDLE

Double-wrap it extra tightly in plastic wrap, just like a burrito. (Otherwise it will dry out and become very hard to manage later.) You CAN use plastic ware just so  it's easy to fit in the fridge, but you MUST use plastic wrap first. Otherwise your fondant will be dewy in the morning. And that would be bad too.

SWADDLE up your fondant tight- he's on his own in the fridge all night!

Goodnight my little fondant ball!

NEXT MORNING

Step 4: SPLASH (obviously optional)

Next, we're going to add a SPLASH of color! Yay! Just fold in the color gel as you did the sugar...

In old-school baking, red was always limited to varying shades of pink, as icing and fondant is originally white, and it's hard to achieve a true, deep red without using so much coloring that you turn your icing or fondant into almost-red-food-dye-soup... Enter Betty Crocker stage left. FINALLY a good red gel food coloring! It starts out pinkish, but just as with most food colorings, as it sits, your cake-covering medium will soak in the color and become deeper and more defined.

Observe the brilliant vermillion! Gorgeous, no?

And finally, I rolled my fondant out in between 2 sheets of wax paper and then peeled off the first sheet, turning my fondant over onto my cake and smoothing and trimming to fit! This seems to be the hardest part. It's all about eyeballing it. Thankfully there are lots of eyeballs in my kitchen.

I applied another small white sheet of fondant to my cake for the decoration and then finished it off with some decorative icing.

FINISHED PRODUCT

A beautiful Twin Peaks** Black-Lodge-inspired birthday cake for my David-Lynch-loving boyfriend whom I SO adore.

Add some matching candles and call it a day! I did, anyway.

As always, thanks for looking!

Happy crafting!

*This part was pretty gross, but now my hands are super soft!

**Twin Peaks was a TV show during the 1990s. It was EPIC. If you haven't seen it, you must. The Black Lodge is a sort of mystical magical room with a zig zag floor and red curtains, hence the cake.

^The Black Lodge

PS: Wanna see what it looks like on the inside? It's chocolatey!

click>> http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=238211.msg2617569#msg2617569  ^^here

UPDATE:

I finally finished my John Deere Tractor cake:

See the complete thread with more pictures here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=245271.0

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008 07:45:57 AM by riverwatson » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
Insignia
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008 03:04:04 PM »

Wow, that cake looks really awesome! And the tute looks pretty helpful; I'll probably be trying this sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Christinemichelle
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008 03:22:54 PM »

How does it taste? I assume DELICIOUS since it's just marshmallow and icing sugar...

Looks awesome! I may have to give that a try sometime, though I'm really an icing kind of girl...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurena
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008 03:55:35 PM »

Thats incredible! I love that it's Twin Peaks themed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008 04:20:40 PM »

This is really  awesome. After becoming addicted to Ace of Cakes on the Food Ntwk I've wanted to try fondant, you make it seem so easy. I'm definitely hitting "this rocks" and I can't wait to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
SteeelMagnolia

All things crafty are my love!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008 04:32:50 PM »

This is absolutely fantastic!  Your cake is beautiful (and I remember Twin Peaks, too!) and now, with your tutorial, I'm getting the fever to make a cool cake myself!

Here is my 12 y/o son (he's autistic and absolutely LOVES cakes) with his birthday cake from this year. 

It cost $75!  (Oh, and that's a plastic box for the top layer, just so you know.) Now I'm thinking that I might be able to make him one that totally rocks....with your tute help. 

Thank you so much!  Cheesy  (He's gonna love you for it, too. Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My BLOG: CRAFT THERAPY

My  ETSY

Art sets my soul free.
non.sequitur
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008 05:41:46 PM »

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I feel significantly less intimated by fondant now. Thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I did it, I did it, I opened an etsy shop! http://ragaloorose.etsy.com
winstongang

I like to move it move it!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008 05:49:10 PM »

What a fabulous tutorial, and an out of this world cake!! I can't wait for payday to roll around, I am definetely picking up some fondant supplies Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
http://fabulouslycrafty.blogspot.com/

~Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life~
riverwatson
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008 07:34:12 PM »

Thanks everybody for the awesome comments!

As far as taste- I nibbled on some of the trimmings and it tastes like marshmallows! I figured it would taste kind of food-coloring-y because I used a whole tube of gel coloring, but that's not the case at all. It's chocolate with chocolate frosting, so I think it's going to taste awesome. I'll update you with a full report when we cut it- pictures and everything!

And to everybody who said that they were sort of scared of fondant:
IT is SO much fun!!!
And it was so quick and simple! It took me a half an hour the night before. (Plus about 15 minutes the next morning to mix in the food coloring.) And the wax paper made it super easy to just flip over and apply!

I'm so excited to make another cake! Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
chezlin
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008 07:41:18 PM »

Mmm, marshmallow fondant is the friggin best.  I made some for my friends 21st birthday last year and it was sooooo good.  I've heard that store bought fondant is yucky.. and most everyone at the party had heard that too.. so they were hesitant to try it at first... but after people finally started eating it they said the fondant was really good.  So yeah.. marshmallow fondant is the way to go! It's too simple NOT to do!

BTW, your cake is friggin awesome, I love how your candles match the black and white center.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Personalize Napkins for the Holidays
How to Build a Holiday Centerpiece
What Happened To Handmade?
DIY Gift Idea: How to Make Holiday Snack Packs
DIY Gift Idea: How to Make a Gold Glitter Pillow Case
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...