A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to make MARSHMALLOW FONDANT! (super pic-chunky!)  (Read 35091 times)
Tags for this thread: marshmallow , fondant , marshmallow_fondant , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crystalpeace
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2008 02:54:52 PM »

i know you have to put a crumb coating of frosting on the cake first so that the fondant sticks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stufie

I love cuppycakes!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2008 11:29:59 AM »

I love all of these cakes!
Those colors are great stufie!

I have one question before I venture into the world of fondant, do you put frosting on top of the cake (So below the fondant)? Or just in the middle of the cake? It seems like a dumb question but I'm a  little lost!

I did put a thin layer of buttercream icing on the cake before I placed the fondant on it. I used two layer cakes and put a thin coating of icing between the two and one all over the cake. This is to seal in all of the crumbs and also to create more of an even layer for the fondant to stick to. I do recommend chilling the cake after icing, before applying the fondant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love will make your eyes clear

http://stufie.blogspot.com/
Mableheartscharlie
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2010 12:06:42 PM »

Resurrecting this thread cause A) An awesome tute B) I am confused So the recipe says 1lb of marshmellows but she only uses of the pound right? I have to make 2 batches that would mean I could need 4lbs of sugar and just the one full pound of marshmallows right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2010 06:02:51 AM »

Thanks for bumping this thread up, just in time for my son's birthday!  I've always wanted to try fondant, but was afraid because everyone says it tastes nasty.  I think the amount of marshmallows you use would depend on the consistency you want.  I would go ahead and get 2lbs of marshmallows.  You could add a pound and see how it works out, then you would have the extra on hand if it looked like you needed more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  -ee cummings
Mableheartscharlie
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2010 09:35:28 AM »

So I made some last night...  I used two 250g bags of marshmellows to 1 kg of powered sugar... seemed to be all right totally didn't even think we would have different sized bags of marshmellows in Canada (I did google convert the kilogram last night and they said it was 2.2lbs)... So I guess I used 1.1lbs of marshmellows (which I just converted now) to 2.2lbs of sugar... which is what the recipe said GO TEAM!  Grin (yet not GO TEAM! because I wanted to double the recipe Roll Eyes) So I guess I will make a second batch tonight! I will take pics this time too! It was A LOT less scary then I thought it would be! I had visions of it being a scalding bowl of sugar which I would ultimately drop and then for my entire kitchen be covered in goo. But I just nuked it for 2 minutes with a stir in the middle and once I got it in the sugar bowl it was fine!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
havoc
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2010 07:15:49 AM »

Just my 2 cents since I've spent entirely too much time with fondant lately:

For marshmallow fondant (MMF), I've been using an aproximate 1:2 ratio by weight (1 lb. marshmallows to apx. 2 lbs. powdered sugar), and it works really well.  Measure everything out, but start off with about 3/4 of the powdered sugar, and add more gradually depending on how well the marshmallows take the sugar (this is where humidity makes a difference). 

One very important thing is to this is to let it sit overnight warpped up in a big lump.  It's much easier to work with the next day.  BTW, I never refridgerate the stuff - it's w-a-y too hard to work with cold, and it won't spoil at room temp.  Pop it into the microwave, nuke it for 10-second increments, and roll it out.

Or just pinch off bits and eat them off of the big lump.  It's really good.  I did a wedding cake in this recently, and the groom was raving about it - and he HATES fondant. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
havoc
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2010 07:19:34 AM »

Oh, yeah - and I forgot to add one thing:

For anyone who bought one of those fancy, schmancy, new-fangled Cricut Cake machines, MMF doesn't seem to cut well no matter how thin the fondant is rolled or even if you freeze it first.  I've been using MMF to cover cakes but using the boxed Wilton stuff to do the decorations.  It all sticks nicely. 

If I can upload the pics of the wedding cake I did recently, I'll post 'em.  That was Wilton over MMF.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EphieP
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2010 07:38:11 PM »

thanks so much for step by step! I appreciate the pics. I have been reading about marshmallow fondant but have been kinda nervous. This gives me confidence. I think I need to make a cake tomorrow just to practice Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2010 06:31:44 AM »

Oh dang, havoc, thanks for letting us know. I really wanted the Cricut cake machine, but now that I know it doesn't work with MM fondant, there's no way I'm shelling out 400 bucks. I refuse to use regular fondant.
Woohoo, you just saved me $400!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use Light to Create Dynamic Images
How to Shoot marketing portraits
How to Photograph a Very Young Baby
How to Photograph a Nine Month Old Baby
How to Photograph a Dog in a Studio
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...