A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super functional kitchen caddy (UPDATED!! - even more functional =-O!!)  (Read 24575 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hatch_handicrafts
« on: April 04, 2008 11:22:27 AM »

I was so excited to see this competition up! I have been needing a kitchen caddy for a looooong time (super small apartment kitchen with no counter space!) but have been finding that they are usually around $50 dollars to buy and tend not to come with the shelves the way I want. Enter dollar store competition et voila! A lovely new kitchen caddy:

The supplies (each costing $1.00 of course)
3 - Large canvases (I got really lucky and found these in a little chinese dollar store I like to frequent!)
2 - Framed document picture holders
2 - Unframed picture holders
1 - Bag of bamboo skewers
1 - Cutting board
1 - Metal basket

I started by removing the canvas from all three frames and then attempted to saw one of them in half with my junior hack saw...needless to say that was somewhat difficult...

I then nailed the sawed halves onto the remaining two frames

I then took the backs out of the frameless frames, nailed one to the top of both the supports then sawed the other one in half and used the two halves for extra support on the side (it was rather wobbly before this point). The frames from the diploma frames got glued to the bottom of the structure for even more support and one of them got covered in skewer sticks to create another shelf. I used the sample photos from both frames on the top shelf and put the glass back on top, then glued down the cutting board next to it. Those little pieces of wood sticking out of the bottom support actually came with the canvases ( i think they were meant to support them or something) they now make perfect win glass holders as they can be turned in and out.

Thank you for looking!!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008 05:19:37 PM by hatch_handicrafts » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008 11:29:49 AM »

Wow, you are a genius.
I am in awe of the steps alone. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008 11:31:49 AM »

Wow! I am totally impressed! I don't know how you even thought of this never mind executed it so totally wonderfully!!! Awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
jensven1017
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008 11:33:19 AM »

Great job! I don't know if I envy you more for thinking of this or for getting those canvases for $1 each, lol. It looks really nice and I love the idea of the cutting board on top. I'm really starting to get too many ideas from this challenge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why is it that I can no longer buy anything that has a slight chance I could make it myself? Even if I don't know how to make it, or it's cheaper to buy...I can no longer buy it because "I could make that myself".
littlebluegirl
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008 11:46:53 AM »

Very impressive! I can't believe it came from dollar store materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pez
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008 11:56:41 AM »

Wow this is great! so useful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008 11:57:31 AM »

Wow I love it!!  This is a great idea and I love the finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008 12:03:13 PM »

Have you ever see the site Ikea Hacker? This reminds me of some of the stuff on there. There should be a whole new site called dollar store hacker. I can't believe you looked at those materials and came up with this amazing useful thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chezlin
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008 12:04:53 PM »

Awesome! I bet it works perfectly for your small kitchen.. I too know how difficult it is to work in a small kitchen.. although, in my old apartment I don't think we even had the floorspace to add a kitchen caddy like that, haha.  It's amazing to see what everyones coming up with for only 10 dollars or less.  I would have never guessed this cost so little to make!

Have you ever see the site Ikea Hacker? This reminds me of some of the stuff on there. There should be a whole new site called dollar store hacker. I can't believe you looked at those materials and came up with this amazing useful thing!

Haha I agree. Hurry! Someone get on it and make that "Dollar Store Hacker" website!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crystallized_art
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008 12:29:15 PM »

this is fantastic!!! I want one... it's so functional!

btw, the purpose of the little pieces from the canvas you used to hold wine glasses are to stretch the canvas if it starts to lose it's tautness around the frame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Idliby, Oliver and Warner on the Faith Club
Get to Know Bestselling Author Jennifer Weiner
Independent Dames Book Trailer by Laurie Halse Anderson
Author Mary Elizabeth Williams Talks About Her Overused Word
Rick Warren Discusses the Purpose of Christmas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...