A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Farmworker's Rights Poster - Reduction Linoleum Print  (Read 2494 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crescentfresh
« on: April 04, 2008 09:58:42 AM »

So! This was my first attempt at a reduction printing. This is when you use the same block to print different layers for one image. Escher used it a lot, and its always blown my mind.
It still blows my mind, but I took pictures of this attempt to demonstrate that it is possible!  Mostly, it took me quite some time to get my head around the fact that the images will be in reverse, AND you need to think of shading backwards as well (carve out the white parts rather than shadow, as most of us are used to drawing the positive, not negative of what we see).

Anyhow- the subject matter is inspired by the coalition of immokalee workers, farmers in Florida who pick tomatoes (mostly for fast food corporations. burger king. ) and get paid below poverty wages. www.ciw-online.org for more info. I want to make art with a relatively strong social message, so let me know how this comes across to you....

I found the initial image of a worker picking tomatoes, posterized it in photoshop to visualize my 3 layers.
I sketched the first (lightest) layer onto my block and started carving away, leaving a textured background.

Here he is, upside down, locked into the vandercook press: the best way to be sure each layer is registered properly if you're doing multiple prints.

The first layer- I did about 35 or so, mostly on newsprint so I could post em up, raise awareness and such.

I didn't take a picture of just the second layer but its the brown color. Then I carved away everything but the tomatoes (so sad to see all that work disappear, but it's not called a suicide block for nothin)

This is the finished poster, about 11x15 inches.
The border and top half are silkscreened from a photoshopped image of workers standing in front of a pyramid of buckets. Each would weigh about 35-40 lbs filled with tomatoes, equalling 2 tons. Which is how much one worker will need to pick and haul to a truck in one day to receive $50 dollars.

Thanks for looking, a lot of work went into this project but its rewarding, I wish i could just do this stuff all day every day.
Comments are loved!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amusedcreations
I just wanna craft and watch Antiques Roadshow

Random memory attack!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008 10:11:19 AM »

This is just... it's just so amazing! Smiley You did an awesome job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hildare
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008 10:31:53 AM »

i LOVE this!  LOVE this! 
(are you distributing or selling them anywhere? I want one!!!!!)
even aside from my personal desire for one, thank you for showing the process- it seems like a major amount of planning.  It turned out perfectly!
What an awesome pre-may day work of art!  so good they blow my mind.  Cheesy
(i'm hitting the this rocks button)
viva!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no government like NO government!
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008 11:56:12 AM »

It has just the right amount of shock value! Your carving of the man looks like he's Mexican or Latino. I guess this would be mostly the kind of worker you'd see in FL. Great rendering. Thanks for sharing the process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crescentfresh
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008 12:45:05 PM »

I've posted some up around town and in a display on my college campus, but I've definitely still got some prints, so I'm up for trade or whatever (you can pm me hildare, glad you like it).
Its too bad I didn't make a ton more but it was time consuming enough in the first place. Thanks a ton for the responses! the support does wonders for my inclination to do more stuff like this in the future. keep it real.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bknitty
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008 12:34:54 PM »

I love that you use your art to make a very strong statement!  2 tons of tomatoes is only worth $50?!  I would love to get my hands on a few of these, my family and friends would love them!  Thank you for sharing your work!

Si se puede!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GhostAcademy
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008 03:29:47 PM »

It looks amazing, and thanks so much for sharing the process with us! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read your manifestos and strange religious tracts.  You took me to your library and kissed me in the stacks.

http://www.ghostacademy.blogspot.com  http://www.onfirewithfireflies.blogspot.com
crescentfresh
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008 03:30:53 PM »

Thank you all for the feedback =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PetsuntilEaten

Animals: cute & edible. But no one eats Speckles!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008 10:54:41 PM »

Very cool print. The message & style really work well together.

I have to also ask about your avatar. Is that a Daft Punk image of your yours? Also awesome.

Cheers -

K: / Pets
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crescentfresh
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008 11:56:19 PM »

mhmm

silkscreened.

You may also be interested in another print I made (a crazy tricksy 5 layer silkscreen)

I liked making that one a lot, its just messy sometimes to get each layer to line up perfectly. And to print a solid background like that..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do French Braiding
How to Cut Bangs for a Boy
How to Razor Damaged Hair
How to Layer the Interior of the Hair
How to De-tangle and Cut Damaged Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...