A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Munny mod...  (Read 1687 times)
Tags for this thread: munny  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Numi
Lazy Megalomaniac

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2008 07:29:13 PM »

Yay, first post!

So I've been meaning to do a sculpting mod on a munny for awhile (if you don't know what a munny is, check the following: http://www.kidrobot.com/html/munny3/index.html)

Armed with some Sculpey and acrylic paint, I set to work.

front, profile, and back views of pre-painted sculpt job...

Gave him a lil hoodie and a front pocket, since munny bellies always make me think of full hoodie pouches for some reason...

All in all I would say the sculpt is a success, especially for a first try using sculpey period (I used the boiling method too, which made me a little nervous, but I'm happy with the results and think for working with pre-formed vinyl it does nicely). I'm not too thrilled with the paint job, but meh... it just feels like it's missing something. any suggestions?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

[...]
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008 08:00:50 PM »

I think he's cute and your paint job looks just fine to me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008 09:55:20 PM »

wow! you did an awesome job of the sculpting!

you should post a pic of a regular munny head, so that people realize what a huge difference it is!

i received a mini munny as a gift a few months ago, and i read all the forums and sat on the computer for hours researching how to mod them.... but i'm scared! i might need to buy another so that i have "back up", in order to start on the first one! Grin

what's the boiing method? i don't remember reading about that...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008 09:58:06 PM by crafty_dame - Reason: apparently i can't type! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Numi
Lazy Megalomaniac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008 10:14:10 PM »

Thanks guys!

and crafty_dame I know what you mean, I had a full size munny sitting untouched on my desk for a year because I was worried, but then I realized two things... a) munny's are not hard to come by at all and b) it's more of a waste not touching it then otherwise.

As for the boiling method, it's just another way of curing the sculpey other then sticking your sculpey+vinyl figure into the oven. Let water get to a good rolling boil, turn off heat, dunk sculpted piece in water for a few minutes (I use a wooden spoon to hold the figure underwater like some sort of bizarre water torture), take out, let dry/cool and you've got hardened sculpey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[...]
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008 10:27:16 PM »

oh, that's so cool! i totally didn't read about that!

i bet munny's would be totally dyeable too.... i dyed a whole bunch of rubber ducks black a few months ago, by submerging them in a pot of dylon dye. it took forever to get the colour even, but it was VERY cool! i know people dye my little pony bodies the same way...

my munny smells so good, in that new plastic chemical way (yes, i'm a freak! i love that smell!), i'll be sad when i finally start modding it and the smell goes away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008 09:21:46 AM »

Cool figures!

Interesting to read about Numi's experience with boiling polymer clay.  There's actually been a lot of discussion (and controversy Shocked --and hard feelings) about doing that in the clay community over the years. 

The main concern is that all the clay in a piece won't get completely polymerized during the curing period. That means it could leach out unpolymerized oily plasticizer over time, getting onto furniture or other porous items, or could get sucked on by a toddler, etc., and also that it could result in a weaker baked item).

Originally the brand of European polymer clay called Cernit used to come with instructions for boiling so Scandinavians and some other Europeans did that, especially for their beads (not commonly known in the US).

There are a lot of factors that have come to light though, or that have changed over time, that can make a final answer more problematic.

First, how fast a thermosetting plastic (the type of plastic that polymer clay is) will polymerize has to do with both the temperature and the length of curing (they're interdependent).  Iow, polymer clays can be thoroughly cured at lower temps than suggested, but they will take longer to do it (sometimes a lot longer)...there's actually a formula for that relationship between time and temp required.

Second, the exact types of plasticizers/etc that are used in a particular brand or line of polymer clay, as well as which formulation is currently being sold--which has changed for some clays several times-- also affects the rate of polymerization. 
Those also affect the degree of heat that a clay can take without darkening or scorching.

Boiling has one good advantage that way --because it keeps the temp lower, the clay will darken less, but that also results in a lower temperature than has been recommended by manufacturers for some of the clays (265-275). 
The newest formulations of the 2 Fimos and Cernit have much lower recommended temps than the versions of those clays that may still be in US stores, but those newer versions are also weaker than their previous incarnations after curing.

Boiling may be better for small items than larger ones though because of the amount of time needed for the polymerization to be complete all the way to the center of the piece.  The Scandinavians generally boiled their beads, at least back then (those were small items though, and they were also rounded items since projections could be distorted with this method).

Boiling larger items though, especially for shorter times, can result in the clay feeling hard, and even being completely polymerized on the outside, but the items won't be polymerized all the way through unless boiled for a lot longer (and over time they'll probably have the problems I mentioned at the beginning).

Garie Sim (polymer clayer and experimenter) has also shown that it's quite possible to boil polymer clay in a microwave under water ...(though never try to cure polymer clay in a microwave without the water!)

(For anyone interested in more details on all these things, there's more info on this page at my site:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/baking.htm
...look under the category Other Ways to Cure Polymer Clay...)

Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008 09:50:24 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Are Age & Beauty Standards Changing?
How Oscar Nominees Get Their Skin Red Carpet Ready
Molly Sims Gives Her Beauty Product Picks
Raychel Wade Gives Shows Fixes for Teen Beauty Blunders
The Best and Boldest Beauty of Awards Season
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...